Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Walters
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I have been playing the Blackbeard vassal mod lately and was perplexed with some of the counter functions like masking. It appears that whoever places the counter (like Merchants) on the game board is the only one who can peek or otherwise see what the counter is. I also realized some other functional difficulties like the wrong counter being placed for careening etc. Do many people use the Vassal mod, and if so, do you also have difficulty with the construction/functionality of the 1.12 mod.

Also I have been improving mods for vassal now for some time and have given this one a bit of a going over and am wondering if folks would be interested in some of the fixes and changes I have made.

Right now I am playing with what I call the 1.15 version which has 4 new ship types included, as well as optional rules to govern these ships and their acquisition.

Cheers
Craig
DDD Game Designs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kilpatrick
Australia
flag msg tools
That's great news to hear you are working on the mod Craig. Black Bart (urbanus) and I have recently started a game using the mod and exchanged about 20 logfiles. I'd note the following:

1. We have encountered the bug you mention where if you were not the player to draw the merchant counter then you can't peek at it. Our workaround has been to "Return to Deck" the counter when that happens and grab another one.
2. I mistakenly "Return to Deck" a KC red display track counter when my pirate died so short of drawing from the counter stack until it pops out to retrieve it I had to use the equivalent ship counter instead. A very minor issue.
3. Ideally it would be nice if the various map board scans aligned more neatly but again a very minor issue.

That's all I've noticed but Bart may have others. When I saw this post it occurred to me that I think I emailed "Ulfgdar" the advertised Vassal mod maintainer to see if he could fix issue 1 but didn't hear back from him. So now I googled the email address and think I have found a Facebook page for him and have messaged him to see if he is indeed the maintainer listed.

You mention you have been working on a few different mods. One that I think would benefit from attention and doesn't seem to have a current maintainer is Gunslinger.

I'm looking for a Vassal mod developer for a completely new mod (all materials have been scanned and polished) if you are looking for a brand new project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Walters
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can post a link for my 1.15 version of the game, It fixes the masking issue and has many functional improvements.
When you draw a Merchant out of the "cup" all you need to do is unmask it. When the next pirate tries to take the prize that player masks the piece / flips it and then can peak at it. When the player is done he/she can reveal by selecting mask or if the decision was to let it go, re flip and unmask. When returning the Merchant it actually ends up in a different Stack so you can insure that all merchants returned are returned to the draw cup right side up., Many more improvements. Heck I even added the recently created Captain Jack Sparrow, although you'll need to add his counter to the Pirate counter draw deck manually.

Here's a link to Download the Mod

The most recent mod is available on the Vassal site (1.152)

As far as you're new project, I currently have my hands full with finishing the latest upgrades to a World in Flames Mod, PanzerBlitz Mod and my own project(An RPG) is now going to occupy much of my time (Production). However, stay in touch and when a window opens I'll let you know.

Cheers
Craig
DDD Game Designs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear that Blackbeard is getting attention, the game plays very well in Vassal (it's my first Vassal play of anything). I don't think I have comments to add to those by David but will keep an eye on the mod as we continue our game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Walters
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Afraid your current game won't translate well. Many of the changes I made were on a framework level and so older games will not work well at all. But when you do start a new game you'll be glad you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kilpatrick
Australia
flag msg tools
I downloaded version 1.15 for a quick look at the Merchant counter functionality. When I draw a Merchant counter to the board and right click I get a Peek option - but nothing happens when I select it. If I toggle the Mask option then I can get Peek to work. What is the difference between Mask and Flip? A bit of a cheat sheet on how to use the counters might be handy under the Help menu.

Are you planning to write up / document the new ships and associated optional rules?

Do you have plans to upload the new version of the mod to the Vassal site once you finish it?

What does DDD stand for out of interest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Walters
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I do plan on writing help files now that it has made its way out to the public.

For now let me see if I can clear up the Mask / Flip situation.

Merchants and Warships are both set up the same way.

In the previous public offering 1.12 the counters (Merchants / Warships) had only one playable side, the side with the information. The mask was the Yellow or Red cover that hid the information. So the reality is that the piece was always info side up and masked just as soon as you drew it from the "cup". Of course we all know that having the piece set up this way created problems with access.

What I did was add a Layer or back side to the counter so that each counter has a front and back side. (lets refer to the side with the information as the facing side in this example.) So now all the Merchant and Warship counters are sitting in their respective "cups" Face down so that the side that is orange or red is visible.

When the piece is drawn from the cup it naturally will mask itself (that's normal for the Mask feature) Then you just right click and select mask to unmask it. It should still have the same yellow or red side visible

If you cannot see the peek option the piece is unmasked and can be masked by any player.

Remember now, the counter is still face down and when you peek if you haven't flipped it over to the info side you will not see the information. So make sure you flip the counter over. If you plan on not sharing what you know, you'll have to flip the counter again and select mask to unmask it.

Hope this helps for now. I will be updating the help files for the additional ships but they are just like the others and the optional rules system should suffice until I have more time to add flavor etc.

Lastly the DDD in the company name is simply a way of saying 3D (3 Dimensional) without saying 3D.

Edit: I was playing around with the idea of putting the game on the vassal site as I have done with World in Flames but am always cognizant of stepping on toes and have not had the time to contact the previous developer. The goal is to make it available there as well.

Oh, one more thing,
The ship cards and the Number counters once placed can only be re-selected by holding down the Alt Key.

Cheers
Craig
DDD Game Designs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kilpatrick
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks again Craig. That explanation was a big help! Bart and I will certainly try out the latest version when we finish our current game. I've not heard back from the chap I messaged via Facebook as yet. I have the feeling he has moved on from Vassal mod maintenance and you will have a clear run for Blackbeard.

Sounds like you are well versed in Vassal development. I could send you a link to a dropbox folder with the scanned material if you message me an email address. Might whet your appetite

I didn't think DDD could be Domain Driven Design! Which I happened across when googling your signature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.