1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: 15 min board game that can be played on the road. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] travel [+] [View All]
ED ED
msg tools
Hello.

I'm trying to create a board game that takes a maximum of 15 minutes to play. The game must be playable on a train too.

These limitations have made it really difficult for me to design a fun game for 2 players because i can't use a huge board, lots of tokens or strategy (due to the time restraint). So i would like to ask you what you would like to play in a train with a friend.

I'm personally fond of computer games like Advance Wars. It's a turn based strategy game where you move your tokens across a map to eliminate the other player' tokens. Combat is rock paper scissors style (tank > infantry, > air, > tank). My idea was to create a magnetized board and use suction cups to apply it to the window of the train. The problem is: how do i make this concept my own.

I want to become a video game designer and I've got some insanely wonderful ideas for video games. But I'm not that familiar with board games. So here i am asking you what you think are good game mechanics for 15 minute games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ED ED
msg tools
A train with 2 times 2 seats facing each other with a small table in between.

Something like that

Sooo.. Whadda ya like?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
bamihap wrote:
So here i am asking you what you think are good game mechanics for 15 minute games.

The Roll-and-move mechanic sells the most games. You could get a pop-o-matic for use on the train.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ED ED
msg tools
A pop-o-matic is a means to do something. But what do you like to do? Do you like some kind of strategy combat game of some crazy line drawing game?

In Holland you get a free newspaper when you travel by train. I'm trying to figure out how i can use the paper for a game too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i would take a look at the game Hive, or piece's of 8.

These games have a very small foot print and would be playable while travelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Campbell
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the train you where on left the station at 6:45 p.m. and was traveling east at 65 mph, and another train left another station 75 miles away, at 7:00 p.m., on the same track heading west at 85 mph ,exactly how many minutes would you have to play your game before the trains met head on? and would the number of pieces in your game be scattered about the wreckage and hard to find? or would they be in a convenient carrying tote?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
On this think I must.

However, the suction cups to the window is a very good idea.

There is a game called The Farming Game. It is not a great game, but it does have these vinyl chits that stick to the board. Probably wouldn't stick for a prolonged period of time on a vertical surface, but something along those lines might be adapted to your game.

How come we never thought of Colorforms as a viable travel option for games? Could it be licensed, and what games could successfully be ported over?

I smell Geeklist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It should have trolls with lasers and the lasers should shoot out of the trolls' eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, a magnetic version of Advance Wars would be kind of cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ED ED
msg tools
I think i'm on to something. Dimenstragy! The name is composed of 2 words: Dimension and strategy.

The game is played on a small board (10x13 grid). 2 players. There are objects on the board which the player can't cross (like a wall or a river). The objective is to seize the other player' base or to kill all the other player' units. You can move 2 pieces at one turn (a diagonal move is not allowed). There a 3 types of units (A beats B, beats C, beats A). Every unit has 3 lives if you attack a unit that is stronger than you you will get 1 damage yourself and the enemy gets 1 damage too. If you do a perfect attack you kill the enemy instantly (battle system needs work).

Now here comes the catch!! You can send units to a second board! This second board is a parallel game world. It's just as big as the normal board only objects like walls and rivers are located on different locations. If you're surrounded by a wall and 2 enemy forces you can switch to the second board (you will spawn on the same location as you were on then normal board), and you can move out of danger . You can also fight on the second board.

Basically this mechanic will give the game an extra dimension of strategy (HA!).

-------
I really need your feedback on this one because it needs to be perfect and original. I have to create this board game in order to apply to a Game Design college! It's not very proud of the originality of my concept so far, but i hope they can enjoy this game nonetheless .

I'm going to try this game out with a friend. I'm hoping you can do the same and post the shortcomings of the game. I know the rules aren't done yet but I think they'll come naturally when i try this game out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Baskir
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you're trying to combine the Microgames One World and Dimension Demons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ED ED
msg tools
Don't know those games.. But it sad that it's been done before

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a recent post about the journal of board game design somewhere on the front page. It has some interesting things to say about originality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ED ED
msg tools
sooo.. any feedback?

I'm getting less excited of this concept because it already exists. guess i just have to come up with something else. I think there is something i can do with a newspaper. I just need to figure out what it is :')

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardC wrote:
If the train you where on left the station at 6:45 p.m. and was traveling east at 65 mph, and another train left another station 75 miles away, at 7:00 p.m., on the same track heading west at 85 mph ,exactly how many minutes would you have to play your game before the trains met head on?

38.5 minutes, assuming instantaneous acceleration of the trains. Math is fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ED ED
msg tools
Bump!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ED ED
msg tools
I'm going to fold the board around a cylinder (poster tube). The cylinder has one suction cup with which it can suck itself to a window. So the cylinder is hanging from the window and can be turned around.

Now i need some advice! What kind of units should i use? And how do i stick them to the board? Metal inside the tube and magnets in the units? Little screws that only need 1 turn to stay in place?

First board

Second board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna Lisa
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Richard,
That's funny!
Bridgetown Annie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ED ED
msg tools
That's not the reply i was hoping for.... Feedback!!! aaah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ED ED
msg tools
Development of the game is underway!

Not 1 but TWO!!!! suction cups! The fabulous metal "affengeil" construction allows the bottle to turn 360 degrees! It's staggering, it's amazing and it's not yet finished! FEEDBACK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hayter

Metuchen
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's way too much mechanism for a fastplay game. I think you should take the look at other travel games being sold and see how they handle the problems of playing a game on the move.

How about using a hidden map mechanism like the one used in battleship? Each player could have a separate map of the same territory with pegged unit markers. Each player has a marked starting point and must announce the point to which he's moving but not the type of unit being moved or where it came from. If you move to a space occupied by your opponent the units must fight. Since the game has hidden information the units could fight purely by comparison of unit strength as in Stratego. For an extra twist you could allow support from adjacent spaces.

This should be an easy game concept to prototype and tweak. It basically combines elements from the classic games Stratego, battleship and Risk to create a simple hidden information wargame that just needs a little twist to make it seem different or the application of a different theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:
RichardC wrote:
If the train you where on left the station at 6:45 p.m. and was traveling east at 65 mph, and another train left another station 75 miles away, at 7:00 p.m., on the same track heading west at 85 mph ,exactly how many minutes would you have to play your game before the trains met head on?

38.5 minutes, assuming instantaneous acceleration of the trains. Math is fun!

I got 39.72 minutes... Where did I go wrong?

Edit: I just did it again and got 38.55 minutes. My bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ED ED
msg tools
jaredhayter wrote:
That's way too much mechanism for a fastplay game. I think you should take the look at other travel games being sold and see how they handle the problems of playing a game on the move.

How about using a hidden map mechanism like the one used in battleship? Each player could have a separate map of the same territory with pegged unit markers. Each player has a marked starting point and must announce the point to which he's moving but not the type of unit being moved or where it came from. If you move to a space occupied by your opponent the units must fight. Since the game has hidden information the units could fight purely by comparison of unit strength as in Stratego. For an extra twist you could allow support from adjacent spaces.

This should be an easy game concept to prototype and tweak. It basically combines elements from the classic games Stratego, battleship and Risk to create a simple hidden information wargame that just needs a little twist to make it seem different or the application of a different theme.
Thanks for the feedback! I like the idea of hidden units alot... But it might be an good game mechanic... it's not very original. I really like to you 2 different maps and the switching mechanic i explained earlier.

I'm creating this game to impress game designers. So originality is very important. That's why i chose for a not-so-often used game mechanic, the switching between maps and the cylinder board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it being designed for play on a train then perhaps it should have a train theme. Maybe a game where you play a train robber that is attempting to board a train that is traveling very fast. One player is the train and one player is the bad guy on horseback. You need to match the speed of the train to board. That could be half of the game and then have a second half after you board. Perhaps the train engineer player now becomes the gunman hired to protect the cash car?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
or...
maybe you could design a game where you are trying to get your train from "Rottonwood" to "Foggy Bottom" Your board has many different routes and switching stations. Your opponents goal is to derail the train and steal the gold. With limited resources to derail the train he must try to move piles of debris around and block your path...
The board can be printed on a flexi magnet and the pawns would be a little metal train and maybe 6 small metal debris piles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.