Subject: Deciding what game to play for large groups... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Perry
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Right now you are wiser than you've ever been... and younger than you'll ever be!
mbmbmbmbmb
It always seems to be a tricky issue at large board game meetings... how do you decide what game should hit the table next? I would really like a program that all attendants could list their top ten choices and the program aggregates and tells the group what is the best option for the largest number of people. Anyone know of a program that would do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ri
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll sometimes let the winner of the last game choose. But it usually isn't that big of a conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get that program written, tested, and debugged, you can work on the program that determines a numerical rating for how much each player wants to play each game, with the specified people, at that exact moment. Good luck with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Perry
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Right now you are wiser than you've ever been... and younger than you'll ever be!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a conflict... just sometimes a lack of initiative in choosing a direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Perry
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not want it to be that complicated. I am just thinking of an app where people could enter 10 games that they're open to playing at a given event. We all have phones so... if the app exists this could be done quite efficiently. Kind of similar to the way that Survey Monkey can be used to schedule a meeting among lots of different schedules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Travis
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used my companies optimization software to be able to take everyone's preferences for a given large set of games and divide them into tables which would maximize people getting to play what they want, but it wouldn't do you much good without the enterprise level software that runs the model. I'm working on making it available on the cloud, but this might be more complex than you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm fond of: Grab a game, put it on the table and start setting up and playing. If other people join you, so much the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Roberts
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes the hardest game of the night is "picking the game" game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
clearclaw wrote:
I'm fond of: Grab a game, put it on the table and start setting up and playing. If other people join you, so much the better.

I'm a fan of this approach as well. Less talking, more action. Pick one unilaterally and go. Sometimes a game gets taken out and put away without playing it, but at least it gets the ball rolling.

In the end what game you play with a large group really doesn't matter THAT much. No need to debate endlessly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.