Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought both starter games already put together (as far as all the cards are concerned). I've been told that combining some of the decks (like the map cards in the mine) isn't a good idea. But how do you know which deck a given card belongs to?

I note that in the deck I have, all the corridors with no exploration token have 3 instances in the deck. How many should I have? All the others are rooms, some of which there are multiple copies. Do I need multiple copies of any actual room (with or without an advanced encounter)?

Also which other decks should I edit - darkness? approaching dread? threat decks (I'm guessing these, but which monsters should I use for my first games?)?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remove one of each passage from the map deck (or all as I did, speeds up the game). There are some discussions about the map deck around these forums.

Make sure you only have the cards and markers from one set for, Loot deck, Scavenge deck and Exploration markers. Otherwise just mix it all together!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should just combine all the map tiles.

I don't know why people are so against this. Whatever small respite from unlucky streaks of corridors you gain isn't worth losing an entire other, different set of Room Tiles. If you only leave 1 set of corridors in, but integrate the rest of the tiles then your ratio will be off and the game will be easier than it should be. If you don't want to deal with the problems that super long corridors bring, avail yourself of the one of the many items/abilities that let you re-draw map cards, re-draw Exploration Tokens, HBTD better, or move faster. Short-changing these legitimate solutions underpowers their sources (like the entire Indian Scout Class, which frankly needs help anyway) and therefore robs you of interesting gameplay.

Loot/Scavenge/Exploration ---> officially, yeah, the gameplay is balanced around using only one set of these. I think this is also kinda lame, but the 2nd versions of just straight up copies (unlike a different sets' set of tiles).

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
You should just combine all the map tiles.

Agreed, I mean it wouldn't be Cthulhu without aimlessly wondering around a labyrinth of passages! devil Plus it would mess up the ratios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rcket scientst
msg tools
Not meaning to take anything away from wandering around aimlessly, stack-wise, I find it easier to deal with a smaller amount of cards. My shuffling ability is not what it used to be. But then I spend a bit of time preparing for each mine, so keeping ratios is not a problem (1 of each corridor type, 4 of the non-special rooms, and 8 special rooms.) And yes, I pull the exploration cards and apply them to the specific room when it shows up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This just occurred to me. It's probably been brought up elsewhere.

What if you just took one set worth of passage cards, left the rest out, and then counted out the correct number of chamber cards and shuffled those in with the single set of passage cards, and left the rest out?

You'd still get variety without as much chance of getting 6 passages in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
This just occurred to me. It's probably been brought up elsewhere.

What if you just took one set worth of passage cards, left the rest out, and then counted out the correct number of chamber cards and shuffled those in with the single set of passage cards, and left the rest out?

You'd still get variety without as much chance of getting 6 passages in a row.

This is what I do, Joel. I even take it a step further.

Each core set has 6 passages, 4 generic rooms (2 styles, 2 each) and 6 unique rooms.

The Caverns of Cynder has new generic rooms.

So I took one of each passages (6 total), the two original generic rooms and the two Cynder generic rooms (1 copy each, 4 total) and built a "base exploration deck" out of those. This preserves the original ratio and spices up the generic rooms a bit by including all four shapes.

Before each game, I shuffle the big pile of unique rooms and pick 6 without looking to shuffle into my base exploration deck. It sounds a little in depth when I type it, but it's really quite simple: setting up the base set of cards is a one-time process that takes all of two minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense! Will definitely start doing that once I get the rest of my stuff in 2020. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is definitely more complicated than I thought it would be at first. There are other considerations as well.

1. For the mines map deck, having all the unique rooms and 1 set of corridors works pretty well if you can carry all of them with you (which with 2 boxes sets and Cynder isn't easy). Might be better at first to just have one set of mine tiles at least until I decide to start using the advanced encounters so that the tiles matter more.

2. The Scavenge deck, even as it stands in the basic game is a suicide pact if you use it regularly. Probability will stuff you with darkness and growing dread cards, as well as insanity damage for very little in return (unless you're quite lucky). To make it useable, I may have to give it more good and less bad. Otherwise I'm I can put the scavenge deck in the box because I'm never going to draw a card.

3. I'm still in favor of a selection mechanic for the encounter cards. It's not fun to get a cracked ice or mind worms card in a MAJOR fight, and the point of the game is to be fun right? Might be better to be able to pick more cards and select one, OR pick the advanced encounter instead of a picked encounter if desired. That way still challenging, but not comical.

4. Threat decks - I started out with only the threats from the basic two starter sets and decided to add in the enemy packs after I get familiar with the game. That way I don't get any threat inflation effect with flying frog supplying more extreme threats as a response to player skill increases.

5. Growing dread and Darkness - I de-combined these decks too.

I'm still doing ENDLESS things wrong in my first adventure. It's a big game with a lot of rules, but I'm hoping to get the hang of it eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.