Subject: Duke Nukem Forever rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had completely forgotten about that game. I was 10 when that was first announced. I've doubled the amount of time on this Earth since then. I've been reading http://duke.a-13.net/ and I'm just in awe. Who are the people working on this game, and how did they manage to pull this farce off?

Alls I knows is... this is gonna be the greatest game ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maybe now that he's not involved with the project we can get Aldie to spill the beans on what the hell is taking so long.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Dan, in case you didn't know, Aldie used to work for 3DRealms. In fact, if you watch the E3 2001 "trailer" for DNF, his name is in the credits.

(edit) but don't expect him to tell you anything. After all, there are such things as NDAs, not to mention professional courtesy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Donkey Thong wrote:
Maybe now that he's not involved with the project we can get Aldie to spill the beans on what the hell is taking so long.....

Was Aldie involved in the project?! I didn't know this, but everything makes sense now.

BGG IS THE MATRIX DESIGNING THE GAME! All out interactions are being processed and organized by supercomputers that will turn our mindless boardgame chatter and turn it into DNF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
Donkey Thong wrote:

Was Aldie involved in the project?! I didn't know this, but everything makes sense now.

BGG IS THE MATRIX DESIGNING THE GAME! All out interactions are being processed and organized by supercomputers that will turn our mindless boardgame chatter and turn it into DNF.

Yes BPD, Scott worked at 3drealms for a number of years on DN4, I think it was last year that he quit to do BGG fulltime.

As a side note I did get the chance a couple of years back to play the game and it did and may still exist. At the time it was looking good. But I have been out of the Computer Game industry for a while now and have not had a chance to go over to 3d Realms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's almost impossible to make a hit shooter without a time table. A company need to figure out how powerful the target platform will be, and stick to it. Changing the release date by more than 6 months means that the state of the art shooter will look like an antique, and sell badly.

If, by trying to fulfill a vision, or by tacking on anything that seems cool, the game is delayed too much. The game will fail, or will be forced to change technology, and virtually start the game from scratch. 3D Realms has changed technologies way too many times. Enough times that they've lost a good chunk of the senior staff, probably because working on the same project for over 4 years without releasing ANYTHING can break anyone's heart.

At some point, they might their stuff together. The publisher has already given up on the project, and removed it from their financial projections. They have nowhere to go but up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So my theory about BGG being a giant matrix designed to program the game using our interactions is... close?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
hibikir wrote:
It's almost impossible to make a hit shooter without a time table. A company need to figure out how powerful the target platform will be, and stick to it. Changing the release date by more than 6 months means that the state of the art shooter will look like an antique, and sell badly.

If, by trying to fulfill a vision, or by tacking on anything that seems cool, the game is delayed too much. The game will fail, or will be forced to change technology, and virtually start the game from scratch. 3D Realms has changed technologies way too many times. Enough times that they've lost a good chunk of the senior staff, probably because working on the same project for over 4 years without releasing ANYTHING can break anyone's heart.

Case in point: Daikatana.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Case in point: Daikatana.

Ahh memories

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Another good one was unreal on ps1, nothing beat the claims that the game would have better graphics then the pc version. Suprise Suprise it was never released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.