Subject: Democracy, World War, card with halving costs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zeljko
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
World War is on progress track. An empire with democracy has lost land area on previous turn and is playing Production now.

Is Democracy ability cumulative with World War? Is total costs of all new units divided by 4 or by 2?

If answer is 4 (the way we play) we find that this is too powerful. With 25 money you can buy all units. Our oppinion is that either limit to the number of units produced in one area shoud stay or total cost should not be more than halved, including all modifiers. Production is too powerful.

Another question regarding halving cost is related to card number 20 'La Patrie en Danger' where it says: 'Halve cost of its new units'. If three ships are built, what is the price:

a) 3*(round up 5/2)=9
b) round up (3*5/2)=8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure you can buy a bunch of unit... but you cannot deploy a lot of them, unless you already have a lot of territory thus a lot of unit already buildt.

I dont think this is a real problem in actual play.

About fraction and rounding up. I thing the good answer is 3x2.5= 7.5 rounded up to 8, this is usually how it work with ADG games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeljko
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
Sure you can buy a bunch of unit... but you cannot deploy a lot of them, unless you already have a lot of territory thus a lot of unit already buildt.

I dont think this is a real problem in actual play.

About fraction and rounding up. I thing the good answer is 3x2.5= 7.5 rounded up to 8, this is usually how it work with ADG games.

Rules say:

Quote:

If the world war artefact is on the progress track:
- all empires taking a production action halve the total
cost of new units they build and can place any
number of units in any area;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taubman
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems clear that the halving effects are cumulative; I guess this is to simulate the rapid US buildup during WWII for instance.

I agree that option b) is right for your second question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Peters
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Democracy + World War: This wouldn't be the first game to have the countermix limits being (sometimes) the dominant/only limit on production. I'm tempted to agree with the others, that it isn't a big problem (but I have to admit that I haven't yet seen that situation arise).

Regarding the other question, I've always played with option "a". But I don't think the rules are clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeljko
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the drin wrote:
Regarding Democracy + World War: This wouldn't be the first game to have the countermix limits being (sometimes) the dominant/only limit on production. I'm tempted to agree with the others, that it isn't a big problem (but I have to admit that I haven't yet seen that situation arise).

Problem is that World War somehow ruins gameplay.

I am telling this with limited experience, but in our last game the winner of the World war was early determined - trick is to conquer enemy capitol at all costs and to protect own. Strategy is simple - with most advanced/powerful nation produce everything and conquer capitol of enemy empire that did not choose production. Capturing a capitol is enough - owning player would rather choose production with an empire that HAS capitol to avoid halving. Losing capitol during World War is EXTREMLY bad.

When I think about it again, that is the way it was...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Rowland
Australia
O'Connor
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
Andrew's right Slobodan, its cumulative and (b).

Regards
Harry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.