6 Posts

Backgammon» Forums » General

Subject: Any purpose to alternating point colors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hi, is there any purpose to having alternating point colors on a backgammon board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly makes knowing your available destinations almost immediately obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I know of. To my best knowledge, it's simply a decorative element. In the first half of the 2nd millennium CE, there are quite a few examples of backgammon boards that use a monochromatic color scheme for the points. As wood inlay became more popular, the trend turned to alternating colors, especially in the 1700s. Boards since then have pretty much been all two-coloured. There are also examples of points which use the same color but two different patterns are employed to create the points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickles2000 wrote:
Hi, is there any purpose to having alternating point colors on a backgammon board?

Yes there is a reason. As someone has already stated, it does make it easier to find your destination. Simply put, if you're playing on a board with red and black points, when ever you roll an even number, you will always be traveling to the same color as the point your moving from. Roll an odd number, and you'll be moving to the opposite color from the color of the point your moving from. Game wouldn't be as much fun to actually play, without this system in place.

Arthur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
freechinanow wrote:
Not that I know of. To my best knowledge, it's simply a decorative element. In the first half of the 2nd millennium CE, there are quite a few examples of backgammon boards that use a monochromatic color scheme for the points. As wood inlay became more popular, the trend turned to alternating colors, especially in the 1700s. Boards since then have pretty much been all two-coloured. There are also examples of points which use the same color but two different patterns are employed to create the points.

Monochrome boards are still common in the Middle East where the game is extremely commonly played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As with checkers on a chessboard, the pattern makes it slightly easier to visualize, but is not strictly necessary to enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.