Subject: Is HiS best CDG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Buj
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I am playing 2 games of HiS now. One with my game group in Madrid and the other via email.
I think this game is marvellous...maybe best game CDG.
What is your opinion? I think HiS is best. Paths of Glory is a really very good game, but 6 player system of HiS make it unbeatable
Thanks for making this great game Ed!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Angelotti
Canada
Hudson
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully agree. I played only FtF and I'd like to find a PBEM playing group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't compare the multiplayer games to the two player ones. They obviously need entirely different design choices.

I like HIS a lot though, despite the religious powers at times just rolling tons of dice (and praying!).

I've also burned out on playing HIS with LESS than 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like HIS a lot but I've only managed one game and that by Email so I'm not ready to call it the best CDG yet. I think Twilight Struggle is a very strong candidate as well, in terms of simplicity, theme and strategic choices.

There are some more multiplayer CDGs out there- Sucessors is being reprinted and then there is the 18th century one which I have forgotten the name of...when I've played those I will be bette able to judge HIS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Miranda
France
Contamine sur Arve
Haute-Savoie, Rhône-Alpes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played quite a few CDG games and I must say this is the one I like the best, without hesitation. In addition, it's one of the few games on this period.
It really captures quite well the differences between each power.

Another excellent multiplayer CDG game I'd recommend is "Sword of Rome".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Luccicante wrote:
I fully agree. I played only FtF and I'd like to find a PBEM playing group.

E-mail Ed at ebeach@comcast.net. He'll set you up with PBEM.

And hurry up, because we're waiting to have six people so we can start a new game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think HiS is the best of CDG for the following reasons:
-Cards work extremely well
-Hstoric feel

However it might not be the best CDG in the view of others due to:
-Time
-Accessibilty

I can't think of an experience that came close to the historic feel of HiS and for me it is the best CDG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Not having played the game, but deeply interested in it, I would say it isn't the "best" simply because of the accessibility to a smaller group of players - and the biggest reason why I haven't gotten this as soon as I would have liked. With the new 2-player variant coming out, this issue will be resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Marina Haya
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello Brian,

Please, first play with 6 players, and then you'll can speak (or write).

I've played several (I think I've played all GMT's and AH's card-driven games) card-driven games, and I agree than Here I Stand is the best card-driven game designed at time. The cards run as well as the victory conditions for each player. And the best of all, the game is very fun!

Once again: First play, then speak.

Angel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Buj
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...is dificult join 6 persons to play....but when you do it, is a big pleasure
About 2 person game, is one of my next adquisitions
Bye!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the heck out of Wellington too, probably the most underrated CDG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
HiS is one of the best I'm sure. I wouldn't put Twilight Struggle in the same position as HiS. The multiplayer issue is in fact one of the most important things added by this game, full of complexety and historical flavor, and also very well balanced with 3 or 6 players. Ed I salute you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
marquesmarina wrote:
Hello Brian,

I've played several (I think I've played all GMT's and AH's card-driven games) card-driven games, and I agree than Here I Stand is the best card-driven game designed at time. The cards run as well as the victory conditions for each player. And the best of all, the game is very fun!

Angel

No puedo jugar si yo no sé a seis amigos que no sabe cómo jugar este tipo del juego. Para ser el mejor, un juego debe ser accesible. Puede ser el mejor seis juego de jugador en un cuatro lapso de hora, pero no el mejor juego si no puede ser jugado por menos personas en menos tiempo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel Jauregui
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me HIS is the best also (I´m thinking in buying another one to have one unpuched version save at home because the one I have is been so heavily used) though now is not easy find 6 stable players (with families and all the stuff, I mean) but it´s true the game with 6 players is amazing, anyway, with 4 or more is already quite nice.

Paulo, I would place Twilight Struggle at the same level: you just need two people and three hours time to have a lot of fun.

But of course usually is funnier been with more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Marina Haya
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No tiene nada que ver lo uno con lo otro. El que sea accesible o jugable, no tiene nada que ver con que el juego sea bueno, equilibrado y divertido.

You can allways play via cyberboard. You can enter in Ed's page for joint to any future play to this game. The rules aren't so heavy or hard. Try it.

Salu2:

Angel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Felgueroso
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angel and Alberto,

Nice to see you here. HiS is a great game, but its very difficult to join 6 people to play during several sessions. So, another option for us its to play in only one session, from morning to night. (Angel knows about it very well).

Anycase, for me, HiS is the best multiplayer CDG.
For two players, the best are Hannibal, Wilderness and Paths of Glory.
Sorry for Twilight Struggle, but as there are not combats... its not very interesting for me.

Armando

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
You folks ought to try not to confuse what you LIKE - which is easily measurable but personal and subjective - with the impossible to measure, and totally objective, adjective "Best".

Just because you like something does not make it better than something else . . .

Just a philosophical note to keep this discussion on an even keel . . .

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Francisco Cano Elgarresta
Spain
Madrid
spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wowI think HIS is the best Card Driven Game for multiplayer.It´s well ballance,there are different ways to win,you can play in one or two sessions,there is intrigue until the end because you don´t know exactly who can win.The problem is to meet with 6 players.
I like sword of rome too,but his is the best,sor is more limitated in ways to win,not well balanced(i think to play with etruscan is hard.
For two players the best are Hannibal.
Regards to Angel and Armando.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
marquesmarina wrote:
No tiene nada que ver lo uno con lo otro. El que sea accesible o jugable, no tiene nada que ver con que el juego sea bueno, equilibrado y divertido.

You can allways play via cyberboard. You can enter in Ed's page for joint to any future play to this game. The rules aren't so heavy or hard. Try it.

Salu2:

Angel

I disagree. HiS appears to be a great game but accessibility is an issue. If you can't play it whenever you want, how can it be the "best"? That is why TS is #7, PoG is #16, H:RvC #17, and CC:E is #29 all while HiS is #116.

HiS may be the best mulitplayer CDG, it may be the best longest game, but for a vast majority of people, it is the best game they never get to play.

I plan on joining Ed very soon as it will be the only for a long while before I can get a gaming group up to speed on a game of this nature and devote solid time to play it. Before that happens, I will have logged a lot of time on those other games though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marquesmarina wrote:
Hello Brian,

Angel

Brian prefaced his opinion with the fact that he hadn't played it. Why do you think he shouldn't share his opinion because he hasn't played the game when the reason he feels it isn't the "best" (if there is such a thing) is because he hasn't been able to get to play the game yet?

There really is no way to judge any game as a "best" of anything really. A game like HIS may be extremely well executed in design and mechanics, dripping with theme, and even if it was shorter and more versatile in quantity of players, some players may just not like it for whatever reasons (including a dislike for theme or mechanics). How can it be the "best" then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.