Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Spicing things up? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I know I've posted before, about easing my players into the game. And we are past that stage, we are playing with almost 100% official rules*.

Now that my players have mastered their powers they are complaining a bit that there is no challenge (we are just about to start 2-3). The monsters are pretty easy to beat, the barriers are likewise (except the stone door), and the few boons that are worth going after are easy to get.

I am looking for a way to spice it up for them. What I was thinking:
-If the Scenario is completed and the Blessings deck has 10 or more cards left in it each member of the party rolls 1d6 and gets one of the corresponding cards 1-Armor, 2-Weapon, 3-Blessing, 4-Ally, 5-Spell, 6-Item. If there are 15 or more cards they may choose a category. If there are 20 or more cards they may roll the die AND choose a category, and take one of each card.

Anyone have anything they use to spice up a game?

*Homerule: Because we have all the class decks in our set, we play with the rule that if a class deck card is banished, passed over, or otherwise would return to the box, it is instead set aside and completely removed from all future games with this party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest some of the tweaks that make things harder. Like having the locations be in order so you can't just go to any location. Or use some of the tweaks in the ap. Like "full packs" What you are proposing will make the game easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
Wouldn't that make it even easier? I get that you are trying to play faster, but there is still a random factor with how fast you can complete the scenario. If all the henchmen/villain are the first card then you can easily beat it in 10 turns, but if they are all the bottom card, you would be hard pressed to beat it under 20 turns.

If you want more of a challenge, add in the monsters and barriers from the next deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
I would suggest some of the tweaks that make things harder. Like having the locations be in order so you can't just go to any location. Or use some of the tweaks in the ap. Like "full packs" What you are proposing will make the game easier.

True, I was hoping to give them a challenge to meet. It doesn't make it too much easier due to all the class decks mixed in (there is a fair amount of junk). Full packs wouldn't even bee too painful since we rarely come across anything we desperately need to acquire (unlike the app we waive rolls for things we don't want).

I want to walk the line between challenging and restrictive. In the App you get compensated with gold for succeeding at the higher challenge level, in the physical game there is no reward for the challenge. I'd like to give them something to strive for. I figure 1 random card (that may or may not be useful) is a good reward for finishing early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krushhhhh wrote:
Wouldn't that make it even easier? I get that you are trying to play faster, but there is still a random factor with how fast you can complete the scenario. If all the henchmen/villain are the first card then you can easily beat it in 10 turns, but if they are all the bottom card, you would be hard pressed to beat it under 20 turns.

If you want more of a challenge, add in the monsters and barriers from the next deck.

Hmm, that might be worth doing, I didn't even think of adding them in early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runelords is generally thought to be easy.

There's a page on the Paizo forums where people post their final party. It's typical for Runelords for someone to post that their party never lost a scenario and no one died in the entire adventure path. This occurs less often with S&S and Wrath.

The easiest way to make it harder is to add a location. (Can't do that easily with 6 players, of course.)

Another common way to make it harder is some form of linear movement. (This appears to have started on BGG and made its way into the digital game.)

The basic idea is you arrange the locations in some sort of order.
In the simplest variant, players can only move to adjacent locations. (Usually you are allowed to move through closed locations.)
A harder variant includes this movement rule, but in addition characters can only aid characters at adjacent locations.

An example of such a variant, with additional modifications, is: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1121475/variant-linear-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is to treat the game like you have 1 or 2 extra players. It would be harder to complete scenarios because there are more locations that need to be explored (again, lucky draws could mitigate it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Krushhhhh wrote:

Or start banishing Basic banes early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, if playing with 6 players, get 5 random monsters and 3 random barriers (without looking), shuffle them and then shuffle one into each location. This will put pressure on your players without having to remember anything.

If you adopt some of the ways to make the game harder, then you could try your idea of rewards to balance it out a bit, maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posed the following ideas to some of my group, we are going to decide when we next game (2 weekends from now).
- Location restrictions: Can only move and assist to adjacent locations. Can move through closed locations.
- Adding AD+1 banes.
- Removing basic banes.

So far they liked them but the concern was that there would be no complementary reward for the added challenge (other than the reward of playing). We may tinker with the rewards system. Not necessarily the way I suggested but I'm sure we will figure something out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
If you want more cards as rewards you can choose not to close locations either. This will provide more of a challenge (and be along the lines of your initial timing suggestiong) and allow the group the get more boons. So instead of completing it faster they are doing it slower and might run out of time if they are not careful. This also gets them more boons to choose from at the end of the scenario, and they can target specific cards by checking (and keeping track of) what is in the deck. Say a player wants spells, they would be going through a deck with 3+ spells.

If they want some kind of reward for the challenge, that is already built into the game in this fashion. Clear out the decks fully looking for what you want. There is the risk reward factor there. If they just want more of a challenge, then defeating harder scenarios is usually reward enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krushhhhh wrote:
If you want more cards as rewards you can choose not to close locations either. This will provide more of a challenge (and be along the lines of your initial timing suggestiong) and allow the group the get more boons. So instead of completing it faster they are doing it slower and might run out of time if they are not careful. This also gets them more boons to choose from at the end of the scenario, and they can target specific cards by checking (and keeping track of) what is in the deck. Say a player wants spells, they would be going through a deck with 3+ spells.

If they want some kind of reward for the challenge, that is already built into the game in this fashion. Clear out the decks fully looking for what you want. There is the risk reward factor there. If they just want more of a challenge, then defeating harder scenarios is usually reward enough.
We already do that, but even with Nerfing Henchmen to the bottom and not closing locations until we are out of cards, we are still finishing with 5+ cards in the blessings deck, without feeling any time constraints.

In our last game, 2-2, We used Augery to relocate 2 henchmen and the villian to the bottom and deliberately left a location open until it was out of cards. Of these only 1 destination was temp closed when the villian was encounterd (with only 4 cards left in it). So at least 3/5 locations were 100% explored, and we still had 7 cards in the blessings deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't you say before that you had 4 characters playing? If so, you would have had 6 locations, not 5. Were you only playing with 3 during 2-2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Didn't you say before that you had 4 characters playing? If so, you would have had 6 locations, not 5. Were you only playing with 3 during 2-2?
Yeah, We have a party of 4, but the one guy doesn't always show up. Our core is Lini, Meri (Class Deck version), and Ezren (3 pretty strong characters). Arabundi just gets our castoffs and the advancement when he doesn't play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So talked with the group and they are all for adding the next level banes, but we decided to start after Foul Misgivings (arbitrarily, that was just our next scenario). We did put in the location restrictions though.

Lo and behold the Haunts and Iesha pop into existence and Ezren and Meri are damn near helpless, get smacked around a good bit, especially because the location restrictions forbid aiding from more than 1 away. The group then had a greater respect for not needlessly stepping up the challenge.

I can't wait for HCTF and the utter lack of charisma! Lol. I forsee many replays!

Lini (me) is going to be going down to 2 cures instead of 3 now that Ezren has a handle on his abilities and Meri has 3 healing staffs and the Surgeon. I don't need to drop everything for healing anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.