Subject: Difficult Terrain? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only answer to the question, "What exactly is difficult terrain?" was provided in another thread by
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

tarheel wrote:
Any terrain that costs two or more movement points is considered difficult terrain according to the Glossary...

I am still not sure about this. If one enters across a mountain border, the terrain would be considered Difficult, but if your opponent enters across a plain border, it would not be difficult terrain.

Does that mean that difficult terrain could mean two things to two different armies?

I would love a simple definition of difficult terrain.

I am not disagreeing with Brad, just rather seeking a bit of enlightenment with maybe an example.

Warmest regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is certainly not an official answer, but it seems to me that "difficult terrain" refers to the terrain in the Zone, not to the border. You must pay the cost for crossing mountains, but, once you have crossed, you're dealing with the terrain in the Zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrZaat wrote:
This is certainly not an official answer, but it seems to me that "difficult terrain" refers to the terrain in the Zone, not to the border. You must pay the cost for crossing mountains, but, once you have crossed, you're dealing with the terrain in the Zone.

Hi Rodger,

Thanks for the answer. That would seem to make "Swamp" terrain the only difficult terrain on the board. That actually makes sense to me. Let's see what the designers say.

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. Yes, it seems that Swamp is the only difficult terrain, as I understand it. That's the only point that makes me question my interpretation.

Hopefully, we can get an official answer on this question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry. I posted the question on the French-language forum, Strategikon, and it appears that I was wrong. The sole determination of whether a Zone is Difficult Terrain is the rule you quoted from the Glossary. If it costs more than one MP to enter the Zone, then it's Difficult Terrain for you.

Everything depends on how much you paid to enter the Zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrZaat wrote:
I'm sorry. I posted the question on the French-language forum, Strategikon, and it appears that I was wrong. The sole determination of whether a Zone is Difficult Terrain is the rule you quoted from the Glossary. If it costs more than one MP to enter the Zone, then it's Difficult Terrain for you.

Everything depends on how much you paid to enter the Zone.

Thank you again. That seems weird to me, but I shall persevere.

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Gentil-Perret
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Notion of difficult terrain has been discarded in the revised rules. It has been replaced by a more explicit sentence in the 3 tables where it appeared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tof39 wrote:
Notion of difficult terrain has been discarded in the revised rules. It has been replaced by a more explicit sentence in the 3 tables where it appeared.

Excellent news, Christophe. Will the rules and play aids be offered as a physical print like the French rules?

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Gentil-Perret
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:

Excellent news, Christophe. Will the rules and play aids be offered as a physical print like the French rules?

Regards,

Jim

[b]Est. 1949

A paper update kit will be available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.