Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk» Forums » General

Subject: Mr. Selinker Please Clarify Scenario Politics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Thought I would address this issue head on -

Mr. Selinker I invite you to please explain officially whether or not any of the scenarios in this expansion have overt or covert political/ideological agendas.

I find the rumours to this effect somewhat alarming, please keep Betrayal apolitical. The house on the hill is scary enough as it is, it doesnt also need to be invaded by the spirit of present day politics!

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll bite. What rumors from where?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
I'll bite. What rumors from where?

From here, I imagine: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1566393/contributors
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I was expecting this. Popcorn time, folks!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
I'll bite. What rumors from where?

The rumours that will be started by few people who see the writer list and go absolutely livid over it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I was hoping one of the new scenarios was about the high school's Model UN team.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Taylor
United States
Camino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the politcal haunt, you can pause the video and read most of the text.
https://youtu.be/6zfZ_4WTA14?t=6m33s
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Savory Oliver wrote:

I hope he put in good stories, and didn't worry about people like you who might get all offended because of their politics.

is this a backhanded attack on Sarkeesian? it seems like it. Me, I'm excited she's in there, can't wait to play what she wrote.

Nothing backhanded about it. Just looking for a straight answer.

I HOPE he put in good stories as well, and that I do not have to get offended by ANY politics.

I suppose you wouldn't mind if a Trump activist or pro-NRA type put a haunt in that has a political message?

Me, I would be offended by both, keep politics out of the game. I am NOT talking about CERTAIN politics, just keep all of it out.

Also, serious question, why are you "excited" particularly about Sarkeesian's writing?

Edit: watched the video. Make America Disintegrate Again. I am sure it is about leftists who rampage and riot through the house like little children when they dont get their way?

And you wouldnt mind if it were, right??

And that wasnt even Sarkeesian, someone named Quinn.

If I wanted political mesaging, I'll just turn on the TV and watch the 24/7 coverage of the year long POTUS campaign cycle. Do you ever get enough of the BS?


9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a whole lot of kickstarter backers who are also really excited to hear what Sarkeesian has to say.

They're still waiting, btw.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Who is Sarkeesian?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Loin o Beef wrote:
Who is Sarkeesian?

Bogeywoman of the reactionary sexist gamergate brigade.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
Sir Loin o Beef wrote:
Who is Sarkeesian?

Bogeywoman of the reactionary sexist gamergate brigade.

Kickstarter hustler, faux-feminist opportunistic charlatan, puritanical killjoy, professional victim, and swamp witch.

Also the patron saint of SJW's.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe V
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really disappointing to me.

A bit of background, just so what I'm saying makes sense. I am gay. I tried to be in the LGBTQ community. I was not accepted because of my political beliefs. I tried to be in the social activism community. I was not accepted because of my political beliefs and because I'm a white, straight-acting gay male. Which is apparently ALMOST as bad as being a white straight guy in their book. Neither of these communities accepted me.

But the community that did accept me, always? The Geek community. Board games. Video games. Computer games. All the people I have ever met in any of these communities has given me a slap on the back and said "Come as you are, we don't care!" They don't care that I'm gay. They don't care about my political beliefs. They don't care about anything. Do you know why?

Because the Geek community is society's Island of Misfit Toys. A train with square wheels isn't going to mock a tug boat that can only go in circles. Now why do I mention this?

Because in the past few years, I saw something occur. I saw these "tolerant" people who REJECTED me from their communities ATTACKING the only community that EVER accepted me for being "intolerant" and "homophobic" and "hateful" and "bigoted". The same people who went out of their way to make me feel unwelcome, unwanted, and unsafe, have begun attacking the ONLY F***ING PLACE where I feel any of those things. So you might imagine how I feel.

And leading the charge against the gates of literally my only refuge are Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn. I was part of Gamergate. We didn't just roll over and take their nonsense. We exposed them for who they were and we beat them. So now, like the Eye of Sauron, they're turning their attention to board gaming.

We need to reject them like the cancer they are. Please, Mr. Selinker. If you read this, PLEASE renounce these vile people before they begin their inevitable assault on our already marginalized, poorly portrayed community.

They will start saying that your cooperation with them is evidence of their "Expertise" on the board gaming community. And then they will turn round on you and start attacking you and the community your company is a part of, calling it bigoted, evil, misogynistic, etc. Gamers fell for this. That's why Gamergate happened. Board gamers have the opportunity to avoid all of that fallout. Please take it.
28 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Still don't see any rumors. I see a thread of wild speculation and panic that I purposely avoided starting when the news first broke. That day I made an excited comment about the release when it was first announced followed by a snarky edit when I saw the contributors list but I purposely didn't go further. But now I'll give my opinion.

I still pre-ordered it because I don't want to spite myself out of expanding a game I like just because Mike chose to work with some shitty people. He can say they're his "friends" but the way he mentions the two most volatile people every single time he talks about the game tells me he is HOPING for controversy and I didn't make a deal about it because I didn't want to help push the fake controversy.

Just to show you how fake all of this is - the contributors include one of the Penny Arcade guys AND Anita. Why would these people work together or agree to put their names on the same game? "It’s bad enough that anyone is making rape jokes to begin with but the fact that Penny Arcade actually responded to criticisms by celebrating and encouraging rape culture is unacceptable and unconscionable." - Anita. BUT LET'S WORK TOGETHER A FEW YEARS LATER. Because not a single one of these frauds believes anything they say, they're just trying to make a buck. I don't know about anyone else, but if I really think someone did something UNCONSCIONABLE we're done. And vice versa, if someone had a quote like that about me, I wouldn't want to work with them either.

Flipping through the video above, most of the haunts seem to have perfectly fitting titles/concepts. The visible "political" one is purposely devoid of specifics if you can accept the title as a funny play on words. Its a lot less political than 90% of shows on Comedy Central. So I'm not particularly worried that this will taint my enjoyment of the game. But using these contributors just taints my opinion of Mike who previously had seemed like one of the coolest designers around (even through his annoying "the cards do what they say they do" phrase on Patfhinder ACG forums which was often followed by "except when we have a mistake on them".)

I'm actually more concerned by the fact that someone pointed out this Liz Spain person has had severe KS problems, and the fact that Mike thinks its ok to ask his fanbase to be his personal army to get some alleged plagarizing puzzle editor fired from his job. But I suppose becoming a self-righteous crusader is contagious. Or once again, its all about making a buck.

Mike still makes awesome games and has a puzzle background that can make his stuff very appealing to me. Mike is hanging out with a bad element that might be tainting his personality. Mike is doing questionable things for money. Its no different than any other time in my life where a friend made new sucky friends, or a boss got bad misinformation and I had to deal with the consequences, or a family member wronged me because of money... except for the fact that I don't know Mike, don't have to hang out with Mike and hold my tongue, and the only business relationship I have with Mike is waiting for him to finish Apocrypha (which still looks awesome) and the Maze of Games audio puzzles (remember those?) so I can mark two more projects done on my Kickstarter page. I'm okay with this.

If somehow, the small amount of money these troublemakers get from my copy of Widows Walk is what enables them to finally destroy society, well, I'll probably be dead in less than 20 years and I don't have to deal with it. I just want some games to entertain me until then. Tell your kids that this selfish childless loser put the responsibility of fixing society on those of you who care what happens to it next.

Now I'm gonna go litter or something.



7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe V
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
Snippety

You're my spirit animal
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
Shader10 wrote:
Sir Loin o Beef wrote:
Who is Sarkeesian?

Bogeywoman of the reactionary sexist gamergate brigade.

Kickstarter hustler, faux-feminist opportunistic charlatan, puritanical killjoy, professional victim, and swamp witch.

Also the patron saint of SJW's.

You say potato, I say 'baseless internet conspuracy mongering.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
Avatar
mbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
There are a whole lot of kickstarter backers who are also really excited to hear what Sarkeesian has to say.

They're still waiting, btw.

And here I was thinking that the problems all you gamergate folks had with her was because she gave speeches, and did videos, and voiced an opinion that enraged you enough call her things like "swamp witch."

Silly me.
18 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if she delivered her videos on time as promised, she'd at least be a swamp witch with integrity, and on some level, I could respect that.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this thread is certainly deliverin on the wall-o-text department, as usual.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the
icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the
icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the
icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls