Subject: how to counter bunch-up and push out? (some spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
joe sedita
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I play with a group of 3, two of whom tend to "bunch up and push out." One guy always starts in Australia, and another has started picking alien island, now that it's out. (The third player doesn't do this and plays "normally.")

During the game, they will just amass troops in their home base, getting their respective bonuses, fighting here and there for cards but always maneuvering back after the attack, eventually getting 4 or more cards. Tonight I made a play after securing the Europe continent bonus (it was game 5), but had three missiles used against me, nearly missing the win.

The next turn, the alien player turned in 5 cards, got a bunch of troops, and swept up what was left after my failed attempt. But he was going to be able to do that anyway even if I didn't make everything weaker for him, just with a bit more difficulty. My question is, how do you stop this sort of thing? You can't attack them in their base with 15 troops or whatever, or even post up on them without becoming vulnerable to other players. I feel it's very game-warping and frustrating.

In hindsight, I maybe should have waited and drew out the game more and just fortified with my (9) bonus, but he had enough to almost do the same thing regardless. I appreciate your input, but we just unlocked drafting so please don't suggest it. I also think there should be a "game-play" solution present other than just, don't let him get that setup etc. There has to be! Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
What you're describing is one of the core strategic issues that every Risk has had to one degree or another. There is no simple solution because it's a matter of exploiting the fact that equal numbers has a fight weighted to the defense. There is one aspect that matters. Effects that give the attacker a bonus.

Risk is curious in that while general strategy would seem to advocate attacking early and attacking often, a good defense will greatly diminish the value of attacking. It gets worse when you toss in fortified cities and bunkers. Other than adding sea lanes and stuff this is not a core game mechanic that Legacy really tried to address. It's really just a matter of choosing when to time your attacks, but that's easier said than done.

It's actually one of the things I liked about 2210, some of the cards made turtling risky(one of the nukes would take out half the troops in a territory). But some made turtling easier(death traps).... Then there were cards that made it so you couldn't rely on using cards for defense(frequency jam)... and cards that made it so you couldn't rely on cards for attack either(one of the tech cards). You never really knew what cards your opponent had, might be stealth mods, might be land death trap... They made things very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the drafting IS the counter. Also, one player may want to ruin the other player's starting territory with a scar or something else unpleasant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah Australia tends to be a lighting rod for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goodnuff
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Unless they are attacking or draft specific factions with the right powers they aren't getting a card every turn. Make sure you do and you will easily outpace anyone not getting a card a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.