Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Lett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is turning 4 in a couple weeks and I'm looking for a game that he and I can play together. He's obsessed with numbers, so I'm looking for something that uses them in some sort if visual capacity. He's probably slightly above average in terms on counting for a 4 year old. No real math yet, just recognition and counting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the most exciting suggestion but mine loved Uno at that age.

She did like another counting game called The Game of Ladybirdsbut I think she may have been a little younger?? WHat about anything with dice and having to count?

Sorry just can't think of many with major number representation, maybe bingo/dominos lol. I'm sure there's better out there to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have young kids. They really enjoy just playing anything with me.

One that work at that age involving numbers:
Martian Dice
Archaeology: The Card Game
Pickomino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With "recognition and counting" Halli Galli is the first thing that comes to my mind.

Further I´d suggest Secret Code 13+4, but mayte thats too maths heavy yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:
With "recognition and counting" Halli Galli is the first thing that comes to my mind.

Further I´d suggest Secret Code 13+4, but mayte thats too maths heavy yet.

Secret Code 13+4 is excellent but definitely not for a 4 year old since it requires addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

+1 for Martian Dice. There's counting when figuring out how many death rays you need to fight off the tanks and counting or simple addition when counting points after each turn.

Roll For It! is another good one. No math--just number recognition and matching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Gray-Losek
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also just doing a search for "number recognition games" and came across your post. There's a game that we found at our local savers, but I've seen it at target and other major retailers, it's called the The Ladybug Game . It's very simple-shuffle cards that have both numbers and a counting elements to them and move your ladybug around the board. Both my young boys like it(ages 3 and 5). I loved uno when I was younger and don't know why I never thought of it for helping my sons with numbers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Five Crown Junior

and then a little later, maybe when he is closer to 5, introduce Sleeping Queens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Zingo! 1-2-3 as a totally age-appropriate game. The cards are 2-sided, one for counting and the other simple addition (for when he's ready). And kids love operating the Zingo 'machine'.

I also suggest you post your question in the Gaming with Kids forum too, for a wider range of replies.

And yes, plain old UNO is great too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip-Bo
My 5 year old loves it. I loved it when I was a kid. I don't love it as an adult, but they do and it aids them in counting and recognition up to 12.
It forces them to know what number comes after a number without counting up to it from 1. Although that's what my kids end up doing most of the time, but that's ok. It's good practice.

Phase 10 Dice might be good as well. Although I haven't tried it out on them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.