New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
The games I've played have by won by flying units. Their ability to cover ground quickly enabled the first player to build them to quickly snatch up a number of victory point locations to secure a victory when none was expected. As other players prepared for a long drawn out battle over the center the flying unit player simply
waited until he would be the last player to move and was able to claim these locations uncontested - thus winning the game despite having the weakest overall force.

That was the first few games, anyway - we've learned better since.

Overall, the advancement strategy I prefer is to max out ranged and flying units first (when not playing anyone other than the Orcs) and leave melee units at their first level. I train a number of melee units with left over resources (though less often when playing Undead, since I get them for free in battle) and use them in battles as meat shields - letting them take hits for me since they are the cheapest to produce and let my ranged and flying units do most of the actual damage.

Overall board strategy is to rush forward with many many many workers toward the center of the board with an army of melee units coming from behind to protect them for when the enemy units arrive. These workers get stacked up three on a resource as I attempt to strip the resources in the center bare. Once accomplished my workers can fall back and harvest from the goldmines and forest closer to my town center at a more moderate rate while my combat units stay in their forward position to create a front line.

Being able to strip resources in this way offers a huge advantage as you deny these same resources to the other players. Keeping lumber away from the Night Elves in particular is an excellent way to stunt the growth of their powerful level 4 ranged units (consider that it
takes 14 wood and 13 gold for the Night Elves to get the first level four ranged unit - compared to 10 wood and 9 gold for the other races to get the first maxed out ranged unit). If left unchecked the Night Elves will certainly exert military dominance, thus opposing players must make their first priority to retard the Night Elf resource gain to slow their progression. The strength of their units are justified in the significantly increased cost in acquiring them.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matthew

I noticed you were a fan of this game (way back!). I've just been getting up to speed with it this week (with the expansion), and still not really "getting" it.

First game was the basic 2p game. This went ok, although I found the resource die rolling annoying, and slowed the game down. But the pace built nicely. We didn't use any expansion rules except the new cards.

Second game was The Altar of Flame 2p scenario. Which was a simple 10-minute race to the altar. We used the Fixed Depletion resource rules, and had lots of resources coming in. And spell research, which is cool.

Third game tonight was The Captives 2p scenario. This time we tried creeps and heroes. Again we were just rolling in resources. The scenario has lots of resource hexes, and collecting 2 each turn, we've always got more than we can spend.

We are not very skillful players, so maybe we are putting insufficient effort into actually winning the game (compared with building our forces)? I think our defense was pretty bad too.

What's the best way to handle resource harvesting?

Also, it occurred to me that if we use spell research, you don't get those start of battle experience cards... will the heroes be short of mana?

Thanks

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Blast from the past!

I honestly don't remember much about the game at this point as I traded it away a while ago. Hopefully current fans can hop in and rescue me!

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.