Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juha Loukaja
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, time for another part of my "Elder Sign Legacy" campaign. This time my team will tackle the ever fearsome Ancient One, Ithaqua. I have yet to win against him in Omens, but we'll see how I fare on tabletop...

For campaign rules, check Part I, found here.

Abbreviatons used
CT = Clue Token
UI = Unique Item
CI = Common Item
SP = Spell
TR = Trophy
ES = Elder Sign
DT = Doom Token
SA = Sanity
ST = Stamina
OW = Other World
BL = Blessed
CU = Cursed

Available investigators
Amanda Sharpe
“Ashcan” Pete
Bob Jenkins
Carolyn Fern
Darrell Simmons
Dexter Drake
Diana Stanley
Gloria Goldberg
Harvey Walters
Jacqueline Fine
Jenny Barnes
Jim Culver
Joe Diamond
Kate Winthrop
Leo Anderson
Mandy Thompson
Marie Lambeau
Mark Harrigan
Michael McGlen
Monterey Jack
Rita Young
Sister Mary
Vincent Lee
Wilson Richards

Undefeated Ancient Ones
Abhoth
Azathoth
Cthulhu
Glaaki
Hastur
Ithaqua
Nyarlathotep
Shub-Niggurath
Shudde M’ell
Tsathoggua
Yig
Yog-Sothoth

Round Two

Meet the team
Dexter Drake: 2x SP (lock die, lock 2x die), 1x UmI (red die)
Michael McGlen: 2x CI (change 1x investigation to highest result, replace adventure)
Sister Mary: 1x SP (lock die), 1x CI (yellow die), 1x UI (red die)
Gloria Goldberg: 1x SP (lock die), 1x CI (bless any investigator)

Ancient One: Ithaqua - each time an investigator uses in UI or SP, he loses 1x ST.

Initial Mythos: Each investigator loses either 2x ST or 2x SA. From what I gather, you can’t cherrypick that one loses ST and another loses SA, but you have to choose which one, and all investigators lose two of that. The choice is difficult, because either way, I’ll have an investigator on the brink of being devoured (Michael only has 3 SA and Sister Mary only has 3 ST). Overall, though, I think the team is slightly stronger SA wise, so I’ll go for the SA loss. This is further reinforced by the fact that I’ll be forced to use spells and items, and those will cost ST to use.

Initial museum layout
Wicked Old Man (Terror: -1 ST & -1 SA) - Tasks: 1-Inv & Lore & Terror, 3-Inv & Terror
Vital Information - Tasks: -> M(Terror), Lore, 3-Inv & -1 SA
Walking the Ledge - Tasks: -> Peril, Peril, 2x Peril
The Missing Records - Tasks: 6-Inv, Lore & 3-Inv
There’s Something in the Basement - Tasks: M(6-Inv), Lore, Terror
Please Do Not Touch the Exhibits (Terror: +1 DT) - Tasks: 2x Terror & -1 SA, 2x Peril & -1 ST

So, no midnight effects or locked dice. Good good. But. Also no easy tasks from the get go, and an Ancient One that punishes item usage. This will not be an easy task, and I may very well fail if I’m not careful. Dexter especially is pretty much shit against Ithaqua, for what does he do with extra spells he can’t afford to cast?

Anyway, my plan is to bless Gloria as soon as possible, and before it gets her turn, hopefully I’ll have opened a gate so she can benefit from her special ability. To get there, I first and foremost need to clear some adventures out of the way, because not a single one of them rewards me with a gate. Bummer.

First Night
XII-III
Dexter needs to decide where to go. He doesn’t have any obvious choices, though. Walking the Ledge looks promising, but four out of six dice must succeed and he has no rerolls. Vital Information would also be a possibility, rewarding 3x CT which are immensely helpful later on. Dexter tries that one, using his UI to add the red die to the pool, suffering -1 ST in the process. The first roll nets completes the first task. He also gets 2x 3-Inv, of which he needs one on the last task. The question is, should he suffer another hit to his ST just to secure it on a spell, or take the risk that it doesn’t show itself when he needs it? He doesn’t risk it, securing one of them on the lock one die SP. Next roll, he gets the Lore he needs. He rolls the four remaining dice in search of a 3-Inv. And he gets it relatively easily, allowing him to store the 3-Inv on the SP for later use.
Replacement: The Boiler Room - Tasks: 4-Inv & Terror, Peril & Terror
Reward: 1+0 TR, 3x CT

III-VI
Michael has a slow start, since he was reduced to 1 SA before the game even began, so he stays at the First Aid Station and heals one SA for free.

VI-IX
Sister Mary goes searching for The Missing Records, using her CI to add the yellow die to her pool. She only gets one of the two 3-Inv needed to fulfill the first part of the task, but uses Dexter spell secured 3-Inv to complete it. Now all she needs is a Lore and a 3-Inv. On the next roll, she gets the Lore, but no investigations. She focuses the green Lore, discards a green die and rolls the remaining two green and one yellow die. She gets the needed 3-Inv on the very next roll, completing the adventure.
Replacement: The Key to Beyond (Terror: -1 SA) - Tasks: -> 3-Inv, Lore & Peril & 2-Inv
Reward: 1+0 TR, 2x CT

IX-XII
Gloria uses her CI to bless herself, then goes to The Key to Beyond in an attempt to open a gate to another world. And on her first roll, she only barely fulfills the first part of the task, using the white and a green die for a combined 3-Inv result, to escape the terror effect. She also sacrifices 1x ST to lock a Lore on her SP. It turns out it was all for nought, since her next roll completes the second part of the task just fine without the SP, getting her 2x Peril, a Lore and a 2-Inv.
Replacement: Just Sign Here - Tasks: Lore, Peril, 3-Inv
Reward: 1+0 TR, 2x CT, OW
Other World - City of the Great Race - Tasks: M(3-Inv), Terror & Lore & Peril

Midnight effect: None
New Mythos: Either +1 DT or group must discard 2x UI. I would have discarded 2x UI in a heartbeat, but only Sister Mary has one, so +1 DT it is.
Lingering: Next midnight, all investigators must discard an Ally, if able

Status
Elder signs: 0
Doom track: 1
Dexter: 3/3, 1+0 TR, 1x SP (lock 2 dice), 3x CT
Michael: 2/7, 0+0 TR, 1x CI (yellow die)
Sister Mary: 5/2, 1+0 TR, 1x SP (lock die), 1x UI (red die), 2x CT
Gloria (BL): 4/3, 1+0 TR, 2x CT
Total attempted adventures: 3
Total succeeded adventures: 3
Total failed adventures: 0
Monsters killed: 0

Second Night
XII-III
Dexter decides to take a brave stab at Please Do Not Touch the Exhibits. He SHOULD be able to do it with three CT’s available. Although, if not, he’ll be devoured. Well, such is life in Arkham Museum. The first roll nets him one Peril, of which he needs two. Luckily, Gloria spell locked one on the round before, so he uses that to fulfill the first task, losing one ST in the process. Second roll is a complete failure, without a single Terror result showing itself. He uses one of his CT’s to reroll all dice. Still no Terror results. He uses a second CT to reroll the entire pool. AHA! A single Terror result. However, he still needs a second one, so he uses his last CT to reroll the other three dice. And he fails to get it! He adds +1 DT due to the Terror effect, then focuses the Terror result, discards one die and rerolls the remaining two green dice. Two Lore. Wonderful. It’s up to the last roll, then. However, Dexter will actually survive the encounter even if he fails, since he hasn’t fulfilled the first task which would have had him lose one SA, so he still has two SA left. It’s not without sweaty palms, he chucks the last dice into the corner of the dice tray. Dare I even look...? It’s a Terror! My God, it’s actually a Terror result! Dexter is now down to 1 SA, for fulfilling the second task on the adventure, but at least he made it!
Replacement: Fickle Fates - Tasks: M( ), 2x Lore, 2-Inv & Lore
Reward: 2+0 TR, 2x ES

III-VI
Michael has some decisions to make. He’s still far too squishy SA-wise for my liking, considering every adventure has at least -1 SA as penalty. But a mans’ gotta do what a mans’ gotta do. He decides to go for the easiest adventure available - Just Sign Here. He’ll get cursed upon completing it, but maybe we can work something out. In the process, he’ll open another gate for Gloria, giving us options. Granted that he doesn’t fail, of course. First roll completes first part of the task with a single Lore. Next part is equally as easily fulfilled with one of three Peril results. Third roll gives him the opportunity to fulfill the last task twice, so he completes the adventure in three easy rolls.
Replacement: Mysterious Puzzle Box (Entry: 2x monsters appear) - Tasks: Lore
Reward: OW, 1x SP (lock die), Curse
Other World - The Abyss - Tasks: M(Peril & Lore), 2x Lore & Peril

VI-IX
Sister Mary uses her UI to add the red die to her pool (and suffering -1 ST), before moving to The Boiler Room. She doesn’t get what she needs, that is, no Terror results at all. She keeps two 2-Inv for the first task and uses a CT to reroll everything else. Only random Investigation results show up, so she uses her second and last CT to reroll everything once again. Three Perils and two Investigation is still not enough. She focuses one of the Perils, discards a green die and tries again. Sadly, the Terrors just won’t show up, and she fails the adventure, suffering -1 SA & -1 ST.

IX-XII
Gloria heads for the City of the Great Race to get a whole lot of UI’s. And an ES, of course. The Abyss is also open for exploration, but I think it’s better to wait and see if there’s a monster that simplifies the first task, since the second task alone requires three dice to fulfill and the first requires two. Even with Glorias’ special skill, that’s not the best odds. Anyway, her first roll completes the first part of the task with a single 3-Inv. Now she needs a Terror, a Lore and a Peril. She gets the Peril and the Lore, but not the Terror, so she uses one CT to reroll three green, one white and one yellow (to no benefit) dice. She does get two Lore results more, but still no Terror. She uses her second CT to reroll them again. Still no Terror. The yellow die turns to Lore, though, so she focuses that since it can’t be rolled into a Terror anyway, and discards a green die and rolls again. And now she finally gets what she needs - a white Peril and a Wild on the red die.
Reward: 2+0 TR, 1x ES, 3x UI (red die, change a die to Lore, fully restore ST & SA)

Midnight effect: All investigators lose an Ally if possible - no one has any.
New Mythos: +1 DT -> 1x Monster - Wizard Whateley (locks red die) - Tasks: -> Lore - gets placed on The Abyss, covering Peril & Terror task.
Lingering: Lock yellow die for tonight

Status
Elder signs: 3
Doom track: 3
Dexter: 1/3, 3+0 TR, 1x SP (lock 2 dice)
Michael (CU): 2/7, 2+0 TR, 1x SP (lock die), 2x CI (discard adventure, change investigation to highest result)
Sister Mary: 4/1, 1+0 TR, 1x SP (lock die)
Gloria (BL): 4/3, 3+0 TR, 3x UI (red die, change a die to Lore, fully restore ST & SA)
Total attempted adventures: 7
Total succeeded adventures: 6
Total failed adventures: 1
Monsters killed: 0

Third Night
XII-III
Dexter is in a bad shape SA-wise. He doesn’t really have any other choice than going to the First Aid Station, using 2 TR to heal up his SA.

III-VI
Michael is CU. Fortunately, he can open the Mysterious Puzzle Box which has only one task - Lore. Completing that will rid him of his curse. Of course, there’s the catch - entering will spawn two additional monsters... We got a Warlock (lock red die) - tasks: 2x Peril or Lore, which gets placed on There’s Something in the Basement, replacing a 6-Inv task, and a Byakhee - tasks: Lore or Terror, which gets placed on Fickle Fates. Michael rolls all his dice, including the black one, and gets two Lores on his first roll, completing the adventure. Hooray.
Replacement: Walled Up (Terror: get CU) - Tasks: 2-Inv & Terror & -1 ST, 6-Inv
Reward: 1x ES, 1x Monster - Chthonian - Tasks: 7-Inv & move clock & -1 ST, gets placed on Wicked Old Man.

VI-IX
Mary failed her last attempt at the Boiler Room, and only has 1 ST left. The only place she can go without dying upon failing is Fickle Fate, and I sincerely doubt her chances of completing it, considering she has no items to use, and it needs five of her six green dice to match. She could probably get rid of the Byakhee, but am I willing to take the risk that she gets devoured by a Mythos effect? I’m really not, so instead she goes to the First Aid Station to get patched up, healing 1 ST for free.

IX-XII
Gloria is in an interesting position. She could go to The Abyss, but she wouldn’t get any additional dice, cause the red one is dual locked by monsters, and the yellow one for the lingering effect. Still, she only needs four dice to complete everything, but three of them needs to be right at once. She is BL, though, and has a UI to change one die to Lore, so she could take a stab. She won’t die even if she fails. Her first roll gets rid of the Wizard Whateley with a single green Lore. Now all she needs is 2x Lore and one Peril. After an amazing second roll, she has 3x Peril and 2x Lore on the board, thus she is able to easily complete the adventure!
Reward: 2+0 (the monster grants a spell instead) TR, 2x ES, 2x SP (defeat monster, discard 3 monsters), 1x UI (red die)

Midnight effect: None
New Mythos: An investigator becomes BL - I chose to Bless Dexter
Lingering: An investigator becomes CU

Status
Elder signs: 6
Dexter (BL): 5/3, 1+0 TR, 1x SP (lock 2 dice)
Michael: 2/7, 4+0 TR, 1x SP (lock die), 2x CI (discard adventure, change investigation to highest result)
Sister Mary: 4/2, 1+0 TR, 1x SP (lock die)
Gloria (BL): 4/3, 5+0 TR, 2x SP (defeat monster, discard 3 monsters), 4x UI (2x red die, change a die to Lore, fully restore ST & SA)
Total attempted adventures: 9
Total succeeded adventures: 8
Total failed adventures: 1
Monsters killed: 1

Fourth Night
XII-III
Dexter, Blessed thanks to the Mythos effect, heads for The Boiler Room. He doesn’t really have a lot of places where he can get benefit from his skill, The Boiler Room being the only one with a single SP reward. His first roll is far from amazing. He gets a Terror, but would need to use three dice to fulfill the 4-Inv task. That would leave him with three dice left. Although, I guess it won’t make any difference if I discard a die and roll again, since I’d need to use at least two dice anyway, effectively still spending three dice on the task. So, he fulfills the task, then rolls the remaining three dice. He does get the Peril, but it’s accompanied by two Investigation results. He focuses the Peril and tries for the Terror he needs with the last die. The die just barely rolls over from the needed Terror to another Investigation result, and Dexter fails the task, losing -1 ST and -1 SA in the process, as well as his BL status.

III-VI
Michael takes his chances, Walking the Ledge. He can change a Terror result to a Peril if need be, once per roll, so he has effectively two chances at getting a Peril on all dice. At least in theory. The first Peril is indeed gained easily. And so is the second one. So far, so good. The third roll only nets a Terror, which he changes to a Peril, which he then focuses. He discards a die and rolls the remaining two in search of the last Peril (or Terror). In vain. Last chance now, with one die left. And it’s a Lore. Mission failed. Abort, abort. -2 ST and -1 SA.

VI-IX
Mary goes to Fickle Fates to tackle the Byakhee holed up there. But getting a whole bunch of Lore on her first roll (3x) she decides to start with the middle task of 2x Lore instead. She could opt to store the remaining one on her SP, losing one of her two ST. She takes the risk knowingly now, storing the Lore for later use. The second roll only nets Investigation results, so she uses one 2-Inv and the SP secured Lore to fulfill the second task. Now all that is remaining is the Byakhee, which needs either an Terror or Lore to dispose of. Two dice remaining... she rolls them, holding her breath... and gets a Lore! Sister Mary is officially back in the game!
Replacement: Something Has Broken Free (Terror: immediately fail the adventure) - Tasks: M(Peril), 2x Terror
Reward: 1+2 TR, Bless, 1x Monster - Mummy - Tasks: 3x Peril or Terror, gets placed on Something Has Broken Free, covering 1x Peril task.

IX-XII
So, no open Other Worlds this time around. Instead, Gloria goes to There’s Something in the Basement. And after rolling, I’m actually really torn about what to do - She gets 3x Lore and a Terror and a Peril, and a couple of Investigations. The Warlock monster in the basement could be dispatched with the Terror and Lore. Then she would only need a Lore and a Terror to complete the last two tasks. But, she could also use her defeat monster SP so she wouldn’t need to use two dice on it. Five dice SHOULD be enough to get two single results, but... Yeah. She doesn’t use the SP. She kills the monster the old fashioned way and rolls again. She DOES get the Lore she needs for the next task on her next roll as well, so all is good. Now she has four dice remaining and she needs a single Terror result to complete the adventure. The first of the remaining rolls fail, but after discarding a green die, she gets the Terror she needs, and completes the adventure.
Replacement: Stay Away From the Windows - Tasks: 8-Inv, 2x Peril
Reward: 1+0 (2x CT’s instead) TR, 1x UI (red die), total of 3x CT

Midnight effect: An investigator becomes CU - I chose Gloria - she only loses her BL status
New Mythos: +1 DT
Lingering: 1x monster next midnight

Status
Elder signs: 6
Dexter: 4/2, 1+0 TR, 1x SP (lock 2 dice)
Michael: 1/5, 4+0 TR, 1x SP (lock die), 2x CI (discard adventure, change investigation to highest result)
Sister Mary (BL): 4/1, 1+2 TR, 1x SP (lock die)
Gloria: 4/3, 6+0 TR, 2x SP (defeat monster, discard 3 monsters), 5x UI (3x red die, change a die to Lore, fully restore ST & SA), 3x CT
Total attempted adventures: 13
Total succeeded adventures: 10
Total failed adventures: 3
Monsters killed: 2

Fifth Night
XII-III
Dexter takes another try at The Boiler Room. He completes the second task (Terror & Peril) with his first roll, then rolls the remaining four green dice. The next roll nets him exactly what he needs with 3x 2-Inv and a Terror. He easily completes the adventure.
Replacement: Recruiting Aid - Tasks: -> 3-Inv, 6-Inv, 9-Inv
Reward: -1x DT, 1x ES, 1x SP (bless any investigator) + 1x SP (lock die)

III-VI
Michael, then, heads straight for the First Aid Station to heal 1x SA for free.

VI-IX
Sister Mary also goes to the First Aid Station, using all her TR to heal up both ST and SA fully.

IX-XII
Gloria goes to Something Has Broken Free. There’s a Mummy waiting for her, but she has the means to deal with it should the need arise. First roll does indeed get rid of the Mummy, but not with the SP I thought I’d use - Gloria rolled 2x Peril and a Terror, which is enough to kill it outright. Now all we need is 2x Terror. She didn’t get any on her next roll, though, and I’m not super stoked about using all her CT to get them. She discards a die and rolls again. Peril and 1-Inv. Yeah, not going to clear this one this time, apparently. She fails the adventure (-1 ST) but kills the Mummy while doing so, so it wasn’t all for naught. Of course, midnight’ll replace the Peril task with another monster, but maybe, just maybe, it could be a little easier to deal with than a Mummy?

Midnight effect: +1 Monster - Zombie - Tasks: Peril/Terror, replaces Peril task on Something Has Broken Free
New Mythos: Each investigator rolls one green die - on a Terror result, they lose their blessing if they have one. Only Sister Mary has one at the moment. She rolls, and it’s a Terror. Bummer.
Lingering: None

Status
Elder signs: 7
Dexter: 4/2, 3+0 TR, 3x SP (lock 2 dice, bless any investigator, lock die)
Michael: 2/5, 4+0 TR, 1x SP (lock die), 2x CI (discard adventure, change investigation to highest result)
Sister Mary: 7/3
Gloria: 4/3, 6+2 TR, 2x SP (defeat monster, discard 3 monsters), 5x UI (3x red die, change a die to Lore, fully restore ST & SA), 3x CT
Total attempted adventures: 15
Total succeeded adventures: 11
Total failed adventures: 4
Monsters killed: 3

Sixth Night
XII-III
Dexter has been Walled Up. He tries to break free. First roll completes first part of the task. 6-Inv needed for the second part. He rolls 2x 3-Inv and 2x 2-Inv. It’s pretty safe to say that he nailed it.
Replacement: Blood on the Floor - Tasks: -> 2-Inv, 3-Inv, Terror & Peril
Reward: 2x ES, 1x CT, 1x Monster - Cultist (Lore/Peril) gets placed under Blood on the Floor

III-VI
Michael tries Stay Away From the Windows. He has a pretty good chance to nail this one, I think. And if he succeeds, we have a victory at hand. He rolls 1x 3-Inv and 3x 2-Inv. He uses his CI to change one 2-Inv to a 3-Inv instead, and completes the first task of 8-Inv using three dice. Next, he rolls the remaining three dice. One Terror, which he changes to Peril with his skill. Regrettably the two other dice are Investigation results, so he discards one of them, focuses the Peril and rolls the last remaining die in search for a Peril or Terror. And, miraculously, he gets a Peril! He completes the adventure, which awards him 2x ES! Ithaqua has been sealed away for good!

Final thoughts
Well, Ithaqua never stood a chance against my team. With only three DT's against 11 ES's, you can tell that we pretty much crushed him all around. I did fail a few adventures on the way, but the game was really kind to me I think, we had good luck with the Mythos effects. It can be tricky to tackle Ithaqua due to his skill, but I think my team made an excellent job even though the start was a bit rough.

[u]Team performance[u]
Michael did perform a little better this time around, but he was still not on the level where I'd like him to be. But I got to give him credit for acquiring the last two ES's.

Dexter was on fire, which, to be frank, was quite surprising due to Ithaquas effect. I thought Dexter would be way worse than he turned out to be. It could be thanks to his not entirely awful ST stat, which gave him some leeway within which to use his SP's. Pleasant surprise.

Sister Mary did an adequate job. There wasn't a whole lot of locked dice this time around, so her ability was lost on her much of the time.

Gloria was our MVP this time around. She just tore through those OW's, which are crazy powerful in UF, reward-wise.

Hopefully the next part will be done sooner than this. Real World tends to get in the way of playing sometimes.

Until next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
and he gets it relatively easily, allowing him to store the 3-Inv on the SP for later use.

I think you may be playing this wrong on two counts

1) Dice held on spells do not carry over from turn to turn
2) Dice held on spells cannot be used by other investigators

I noticed that Gloria used the die that Dexter locked on his turn. That's not possible unless I missed a spell somewhere.

I'm enjoying your campaign, so keep the write ups coming
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Loukaja
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Furey wrote:
Quote:
and he gets it relatively easily, allowing him to store the 3-Inv on the SP for later use.

I think you may be playing this wrong on two counts

1) Dice held on spells do not carry over from turn to turn
2) Dice held on spells cannot be used by other investigators

I noticed that Gloria used the die that Dexter locked on his turn. That's not possible unless I missed a spell somewhere.

I'm enjoying your campaign, so keep the write ups coming
cool

Thanks for the comment!

Had to double check that one from the rules - this is the exact wording:

"Dice secured by a spell can be removed from the spell by any player during his turn for use in a roll."

Does that last part then mean, you can't use it to complete a task? Because, that's how I always played it. If this is indeed the case, then I need to rethink my usage of spells. They would only be helpful to the investigator during the task and not later. I know they don't carry over in Omens, but I thought they did on tabletop.

Edit: No, I was playing right. Page 13, box on top: "Any player may use a die secured with a spell during any player's turn."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the app doesn't let you hold on to spells after your turn, or for others to use them after you've locked them, but the board game does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa! This means I've been playing it wrong since the very start.

Time to re-read the rules on spells, as I have clearly misinterpreted it. Thanks for the positive rule clarifications, keep up the good writing
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.