Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be consensus the US player should go to any lengths to prevent this event from happening. Why?

As the US I'd play this card Turn 1 as a Headliner. Get it out of the way. Make USSR sacrifice it's early delicate tendrils of influence from the important early places to put influence in the Americas which it can't even score for 2 more turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this gives the USSR easy access to South America, other wise very hard to get into for him, can get him into South Africa, India etc. all places you do not want him in.

The USSR can give up the influence in Finland and most of it's influence in Poland easily, to fulfil the event, so playing it early doesn't hurt them (especially if you then later play Warsaw Pact and/or COMECON to let them replace it).

I'd be overjoyed if the US played this card for me on Turn 1, particulary as a headline (when they don't even get the 3 ops).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
I'd be overjoyed if the US played this card for me on Turn 1, particulary as a headline (when they don't even get the 3 ops).

I don't even want to imagine what kind of hand a US player should have to headline that card.

Pretty much helps the USSR to turn on his steamroller and crush you long before late war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Santos
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
There seems to be consensus the US player should go to any lengths to prevent this event from happening. Why?

As the US I'd play this card Turn 1 as a Headliner. Get it out of the way. Make USSR sacrifice it's early delicate tendrils of influence from the important early places to put influence in the Americas which it can't even score for 2 more turns.

I personally agree that the best time to play it is earlier but probably not as a headline, still as early as possible like in Turn 1 AR 1 in order to make the USSR player waste influence from places i might want to move in (probably Europe or Middle East)and later deal with the new places (probably Americas) he might enter with the playing of this event (since like you said i'll have some time to try and get him out of there before he even gets a chance to score any of this regions).

But this is a very powerful event for the USSR, allowing him to quickly spread to anywhere on the board, that's why many people try to prevent it from happening.
If the USSR already has enough influence placed on the board to not affect him it's more likely that i'll hold the card and try to deal with it later, assuming there isn't anything better to keep in my hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:

I'd take away the influence out of Poland and Finland, and put them in France, Chile, India and South Africa.

Even if you only care about the influence in Europe, you just handed France to the USSR (plus access to south america, algeria, south africa and west asia in case you are playing with US+2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd put one in Laos/Cambodia instead of India (gives access to Thailand and the rest of SE Asia as well, making Asia Domination feasible and helping with SE Asia Scoring), but yeah, it's an incredibly powerful event early.

I once heard Stefan say that whether USSR gets Destal early is the single most important factor in how the game plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
Because you give the USSR access to regions they otherwise would struggle to get to. 1 from Finland, Yugoslavia, EG, and Poland. 1 to France, Chile, South Africa, and India. I've seen many USA players try this and it has never worked out well for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelVal wrote:
Because you give the USSR access to regions they otherwise would struggle to get to. 1 from Finland, Yugoslavia, EG, and Poland. 1 to France, Chile, South Africa, and India. I've seen many USA players try this and it has never worked out well for them.

I guess the idea would be to try to goad a lesser player into using De-Stal to go somewhere that can be couped at a high DEFCON.

A regular De-Stal at DEFCON 2 for me would be Chile-Argentina-Brazil-Venezuela. But at DEFCON 4, that's not such a great bargain and I'd go for the 3's. I think the last time someone gave me this, it got me to Thailand first (at DEFCON 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ray donovan
msg tools
mb
Theorical situation where i consider playing it AR1:

I headlined containment, Ussr missed coup AR1 with EEU, I have europe scoring+two 4 ops card (to realign next play and to coup Cuba)+ blocade

Play event first, realign 4 times. Then ajust after ussr AR2: score europe domination or realign or coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.