20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Any ideas for the best strategic game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Catherine Cable
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Trying to get a game for my dad's birthday. We have games such as Talisman, Dungeon Quest, Risk and Pandemic. Preferably not too complicated and no less than 4 players. Anybody got some ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the top ranked strategy games on the geek:
https://boardgamegeek.com/strategygames/browse/boardgame?sor...

With the list of games you have, there is a ton of room to explore, and you probably won't go wrong picking anything in the top 100 that you think has a theme he'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
anatana wrote:
These are the top ranked strategy games on the geek:
https://boardgamegeek.com/strategygames/browse/boardgame?sor...

With the list of games you have, there is a ton of room to explore, and you probably won't go wrong picking anything in the top 100 that you think has a theme he'd like.

Except most of those games are very complicated and not all play 4 player.

To be honest though, it is a little difficult recommending something since there are hundreds of games that fit your description. Is there anything else to narrow that down? Does he have a theme he might like? Some of the games you mentioned are cooperative. Is that something you want?

Until we get further information though, here are some default answers:

Catan
Ticket to Ride
7 Wonders
Small World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ticket to Ride games are worth checking out. I have only played the original (which has a USA map), but you could take a look at
Ticket to Ride: Europe since the geography might be more familiar.

Edit: Ticket to Ride and Ticket to Ride Europe each allow 2 - 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine Cable
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have Catan, Ticket to Ride (most versions) and 7 Wonders. I'm looking for something that has a good immersive narrative and storyline. But I am looking for family friendly game that's easy to understand, follow and set up. Our family is competitive so I don't think I would want to get a cooperative game. Hope this helps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Above and Below maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quartermaster General
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second lords of waterdeep.

Other good choices would be Lords of Vegas (if you like negotiation and a bit of gambling) or Vegas Showdown (if you like the Vegas theme but prefer a straight strategy game). Both are pretty easy and fun games.

If you are looking for something different, you could try Catacombs (third edition) (it's a relatively simple but fun flicking game about going through a dungeon with monsters)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Power Grid. It is well balanced, fun, and easy enough to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ActuallyCath wrote:
I have Catan, Ticket to Ride (most versions) and 7 Wonders. I'm looking for something that has a good immersive narrative and storyline. But I am looking for family friendly game that's easy to understand, follow and set up. Our family is competitive so I don't think I would want to get a cooperative game. Hope this helps?

"Easy to understand, follow and set up" are subjective, so I'm going to assume that all of the games you mention above fit those criteria.

I would check out the criminally underrated Dogs of War. It's got everything you're describing here. My 2nd suggestion would be Cyclades, which also meets your criteria. Those are probably my 2 favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the following thematic games might float your boat:

Arcadia Quest
Cosmic Encounter
Galaxy Trucker
Blood Bowl: Team Manager - The Card Game
Tales of the Arabian Nights
RoboRally
Nexus Ops
Spector Ops
Lords of Vegas
Formula D
K2
Discworld

They're all fairly simple and support 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ActuallyCath wrote:
Trying to get a game for my dad's birthday. We have games such as Talisman, Dungeon Quest, Risk and Pandemic. Preferably not too complicated and no less than 4 players. Anybody got some ideas?

Welcome to BGG !

Airlines Europe

If you like Ticket to Ride, this is the logical step up. Feels similar because it's from the same game designer, but it's slighty more complex. Definitely a family game worth checking out.

Alhambra

Alhambra was the Spiel des Jahres 2003, and for good reason. It still holds up today and I still enjoy playing it. The game was featured on ►Tabletop.

Dixit

Dixit was the Spiel des Jahres 2010 and it's a very different game that appears to be very simple, but it's very deep underneath its surface, since it relies on social deduction and empathy. Dixit was featured on ►Tabletop.

Lords of Vegas

Easy rules, great components, high potential for conflict, very open trade options and an actual thematic implementation of lucky dice rolls. If this mix sounds interesting to you, definitely check out Lords of Vegas. The game was featured on ►Tabletop.

Las Vegas

Las Vegas was the Spiel des Jahres winner in 2012 and it's a game which gets easily dismissed by many people, since it appears to be too simple -- and while it is indeed a game which is explained in 5 minutes and new players are often still hesitant at the beginning, the game unfolds its simplistic beauty after the first few turns. A great filler betting game for people who like dice rolling.

Takenoko

I'm not sure if Takenoko really belongs in this list, since it's not a game that requires strategic thinking, but a tactical per-turn approach. Anyway, the components are fantastic and the game looks overall beautiful, it's language-independent, the theme is cute and there is no conflict between players, since the players' goal cards are kept hidden in their hands. Takenoko was featured on ►Tabletop.

Stone Age

Stone Age is one of the best gateway strategy games in my book: the theme works universally with everyone, the game looks overall fantastic and has great components, it's language independent and the dice-based system for gathering resources is intuitive and fair (unlike Catan). Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep are often named in the same sentence since both games are considered to be the best gateway worker placement games and I agree -- and while I consider Lords of Waterdeep to be the actual better game, its (although pasted-on) Dungeons & Dragons fantasy theme might scare some people off. Unlike Stone Age, it's also not language independent since it uses text-based cards. Stone Age was featured on ►Tabletop. Lords of Waterdeep was featured on ►Tabletop. Choose for youself.

Pergamon

Pergamon is a great family game about archeology which features a clever bidding mechanism and set collecting. It's in my opinion a bit of an overlooked game, although it is indeed currently listed as family game #138 on BGG, which is high.

TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Some of the following thematic games might float your boat:

[...]
Galaxy Trucker
[...]
Tales of the Arabian Nights
[...]

I love Tales of the Arabian Nights, but it's neither a strategy game nor can it be played in a competitive way.

I also considered recommending Galaxy Trucker, which is another favourite of mine, but I'm afraid it's maybe too complex to classify as a real family game. Still, by all means, do some research on it -- the game offers a quite unusual mox of different game elements and it has a great sense of self-aware humour.

Good luck and have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AH The Russian Campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Alhambra
+1 Galaxy Trucker
+1 Stone Age

Also, if you can find it, Santiago is a really fun and competitive game good for 4-5 players. Players take turns being the canal overseer and accepting bribes to decide where the water will flow at the end of each round. You are trying to get your workers out onto big plantations and make other people's tiles dry up and not produce.

Finally, a great push your luck game for 4-8 players, that is dead simple:
Diamant. It's from the same designer as Ticket to Ride, but much different game. Every turn, everyone simultaneously reveals if they are going deeper into the temple, or running away. If you stay in the temple too long, traps spring and you lose all your treasure you collected that round. Great fun :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido might work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Memoir '44?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
If you have dungeonquest, Runewars seems like a good match since its the same setting.

It's very expensive though so I wouldnt recommend it as a birthday present unless you plan to pool funds together with other relatives.

I've not played this game yet but am researching it, hearing lots of good things about it so its high on my list of games to get.

But I definatly agree with people above suggesting Lords of Waterdeep or Stone Age too. I have both of those and they are a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhalius wrote:
If you have dungeonquest, Runewars seems like a good match since its the same setting.

It's very expensive though so I wouldnt recommend it as a birthday present unless you plan to pool funds together with other relatives.

I've not played this game yet but am researching it, hearing lots of good things about it so its high on my list of games to get.

But I definatly agree with people above suggesting Lords of Waterdeep or Stone Age too. I have both of those and they are a lot of fun.

While well intentioned, this isn't a great suggestion. RuneWars is quite a large step up in complexity from anything the OP has mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Galaxy Defenders or Forbidden Stars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.