Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Multiple side boards and expansion packs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, all! I looked around for a thread on this topic but came up dry. Have any of you tried this game with multiple expansion packs, specifically multiple side boards? I was wondering how well -- if at all -- the various mechanics meshed.

Thanks!

Edit: I guess there are only the two big-box expansions, so has anyone played with both side boards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is that there's not really much reason to go to the side boards if you don't have a mission there. Sure, you can throw them down and make them available, but rarely will anybody take the detour because you don't have anything to do there (though the Antarctic might be handy as a shortcut?).

It's really the prelude cards and ancient ones that give you stuff to do on those side boards that make it make sense to have them in the first place.

Multiple expansion packs on the other hand mesh together very naturally and easily. There's no reason to separate base game and expansion components - just shuffle them together. The expansion-specific mechanisms, new spell types, tasks and unique assets and impairments, enter the game through cards in the common decks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
haslo wrote:
The thing is that there's not really much reason to go to the side boards if you don't have a mission there. Sure, you can throw them down and make them available, but rarely will anybody take the detour because you don't have anything to do there (though the Antarctic might be handy as a shortcut?).

It's really the prelude cards and ancient ones that give you stuff to do on those side boards that make it make sense to have them in the first place.

Multiple expansion packs on the other hand mesh together very naturally and easily. There's no reason to separate base game and expansion components - just shuffle them together. The expansion-specific mechanisms, new spell types, tasks and unique assets and impairments, enter the game through cards in the common decks.


Cool! Thanks for the information. Some follow-up questions:

I'd planned on getting the Forsaken Lore expansion -- of course -- but it sounds like I can get the others and pretty seamlessly integrate them into the base game? The new mechanics are worth it? (I'll say that the focus mechanic looks really handy -- a glaring omission from the base game.)

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can just chuck it all in. It's really the AOs that trigger "the new stuff", so until you play one of those from the expansions you will see minimal impact. (Though the various Encounters might award non-base content as rewards.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
mccrispy wrote:
Yes, you can just chuck it all in. It's really the AOs that trigger "the new stuff", so until you play one of those from the expansions you will see minimal impact. (Though the various Encounters might award non-base content as rewards.)


Very, very cool. Heck, I'm probably going to get all of 'em eventually, and my personality type is more likely to throw all the encounter cards together than to keep 'em all separate. I'd much rather have big, tall stacks of encounter cards as I play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can actually have two sideboards at the same - one for the Ancient One you're facing, and the other for the prelude card.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
mrsuitcase wrote:
You can actually have two sideboards at the same - one for the Ancient One you're facing, and the other for the prelude card.


That's a darn good idea. I was curious about the prelude cards anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually played with both side boards the other day without having a specific "cause" for either of them. I just provides more variety (in the possible location cards to draw), plus the special things offered by those locations. I played solo with four characters, and it never felt too hard to get anywhere specifically, although I frankly never to the Antarctica board, simply because few clues and no gates happend to spawn there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That could work.

For me, I added to my base game the focus mechanic by using small yellow painted wooden cubes (8) as tokens.

I'll be adding Foresaken Lore soon but I'm still enjoying the base game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
dojogrant wrote:
I actually played with both side boards the other day without having a specific "cause" for either of them. I just provides more variety (in the possible location cards to draw), plus the special things offered by those locations. I played solo with four characters, and it never felt too hard to get anywhere specifically, although I frankly never to the Antarctica board, simply because few clues and no gates happend to spawn there.


Sounds like fun!

Question: Have you ever played Eldritch Horror with Arkham Horror as the side board for the Arkham location? (Kidding.)

But that'd be fun to try. I wonder how the mechanics might work, if someone was insane enough to try it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when Arkham was still in its growth, fans speculated over a Dreamlands expansion, an Egypt expansion, an Antarctica expansion, etc. I secretly longed for a Severn Valley expansion and started planning it.

None of those got made, and probably for good reason. A "ship" mechanic could work but there would be other disconnects (weather cards affect all parts of the world every time?)

Now that Eldritch exists and brings Arkham Horror to a world stage, such expansions can exist: obviously. We've got Antarctica, we've got Egypt. Maybe Dreamlands is next? Maybe it will be Lovecraft Country, with Arkham, Kingsport, Dunwich, Innsmouth, and other locales as board spaces. That would rule.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
kungfro wrote:
Back when Arkham was still in its growth, fans speculated over a Dreamlands expansion, an Egypt expansion, an Antarctica expansion, etc. I secretly longed for a Severn Valley expansion and started planning it.

None of those got made, and probably for good reason. A "ship" mechanic could work but there would be other disconnects (weather cards affect all parts of the world every time?)

Now that Eldritch exists and brings Arkham Horror to a world stage, such expansions can exist: obviously. We've got Antarctica, we've got Egypt. Maybe Dreamlands is next? Maybe it will be Lovecraft Country, with Arkham, Kingsport, Dunwich, Innsmouth, and other locales as board spaces. That would rule.


Oh, I looooooove the idea of an "other world" side board. What an awesome idea. I imagine you'd have to spend sanity just to exist in that realm, and it might be cool to revive a more ARKHAM-style method of sealing gates (meaning, with items/clues instead of encounters). It would invite all kinds of innovative mechanics.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertjpeterson wrote:
Very, very cool. Heck, I'm probably going to get all of 'em eventually, and my personality type is more likely to throw all the encounter cards together than to keep 'em all separate. I'd much rather have big, tall stacks of encounter cards as I play.


That works just fine. Only certain preludes (which are optional) and AOs use the sideboards. The encounter, Other World, Condition, etc. cards can all be thrown in together regardless of sideboards. My set uses all expansions mixed in together.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
sgbeal wrote:
robertjpeterson wrote:
Very, very cool. Heck, I'm probably going to get all of 'em eventually, and my personality type is more likely to throw all the encounter cards together than to keep 'em all separate. I'd much rather have big, tall stacks of encounter cards as I play.


That works just fine. Only certain preludes (which are optional) and AOs use the sideboards. The encounter, Other World, Condition, etc. cards can all be thrown in together regardless of sideboards. My set uses all expansions mixed in together.


Fantastic! So it sounds like the best way to deploy one of the side boards is to play the AO it corresponds to, yes? That way you have a reason to spend a lot of time there.

I can't wait!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertjpeterson wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
robertjpeterson wrote:
Very, very cool. Heck, I'm probably going to get all of 'em eventually, and my personality type is more likely to throw all the encounter cards together than to keep 'em all separate. I'd much rather have big, tall stacks of encounter cards as I play.


That works just fine. Only certain preludes (which are optional) and AOs use the sideboards. The encounter, Other World, Condition, etc. cards can all be thrown in together regardless of sideboards. My set uses all expansions mixed in together.


Fantastic! So it sounds like the best way to deploy one of the side boards is to play the AO it corresponds to, yes? That way you have a reason to spend a lot of time there.

I can't wait!


In fact, that's the only way i've used the sideboards . (i've not yet played any Preludes.) In my limited experience (2 plays per sideboard), when a sideboard is in play, there's always at least 1, sometimes 2 (out of 4) investigators hanging out there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
sgbeal wrote:
robertjpeterson wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
robertjpeterson wrote:
Very, very cool. Heck, I'm probably going to get all of 'em eventually, and my personality type is more likely to throw all the encounter cards together than to keep 'em all separate. I'd much rather have big, tall stacks of encounter cards as I play.


That works just fine. Only certain preludes (which are optional) and AOs use the sideboards. The encounter, Other World, Condition, etc. cards can all be thrown in together regardless of sideboards. My set uses all expansions mixed in together.


Fantastic! So it sounds like the best way to deploy one of the side boards is to play the AO it corresponds to, yes? That way you have a reason to spend a lot of time there.

I can't wait!


In fact, that's the only way i've used the sideboards . (i've not yet played any Preludes.) In my limited experience (2 plays per sideboard), when a sideboard is in play, there's always at least 1, sometimes 2 (out of 4) investigators hanging out there.


Great, great, great. Sounds like so much fun. Thanks for the 411!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
robertjpeterson wrote:
Great, great, great. Sounds like so much fun. Thanks for the 411!
It's both a plus and a minus point of the big box expansions: the side board is tied to the AO, just like the Special Encounter Decks (SEDs) are tied to specific AOs. This means that a significant part of your (financial) investment in the game is seldom used - unless you make an effort to ensure that it is (it's partly why the Preludes exist IMO).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.