Subject: The future of this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I enjoy this game. I am curious if anyone knows if this game will receive any more expansions or is it dead? whistle

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
probably dead, which is a shame.

That being said there is a lot in the box and expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
no, NOT dead. It is complete.

Somehow everyone thinks a game is dead when there was no expansion announced for some weeks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
murks666 wrote:

Somehow everyone thinks a game is dead when there was no expansion announced for some weeks

You are right. The word choice could have been better but I will keep the initial arguable wording to provoke chatter. Let's rephrase. Is this game going to continue producing material to tell new stories or has it been completed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Gr1mAce wrote:
murks666 wrote:

You are right. The word choice could have been better but I will keep the initial arguable wording to provoke chatter. Let's rephrase. Is this game going to continue producing material to tell new stories or has it been completed?

Well, what would you expect as an expansion? What is missing to your mind? To me the game is complete.

I also believe that there isn't a huge interested in further expansions in the player community (at least not enough to justify the effort of deaigning a new expansion). The latest expansion wasn't localized into German - likely because of the low sales numbers of the first expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is great and deserves more attention.

That said there is no pressing need for more expansions since the game works very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead, what!? Not every game needs to be Dominion which milks the cow to the ground.

Quality over quantity. This game us complete as another user has said above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I would like in an expansion

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1406903/what-i-want-new-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Minedog3 wrote:

My ideas from this thread:

Bastion wrote:
My expansion wish from a previous post of mine:

- New houses (Glaber)
- optional blue dice variant
- animal figures, fight
- few more main character figures
- slave figures for arena fights
- modified Batiatus house rule or starting assets
- street fight
- pit fight

- some kind of effect of wounds (less dice for a few round for example)
- ally characters, who can help your house in return of something (like young Caesar, pirates, soldiers)
- slave rage measurer: if the nobles keep their slaves in a bad way for a long time, the slaves will get angrier. At the end, and they do a revolution. You can try to prevent this by guards. If you can't prevent this, you loose the game, your house is dead, and the player on your left or right will get the revolution effect too. The other players can help you to prevent the revolution by giving you their guards (small cooperation).
So basically this is a chain reaction, which can burn the whole table. In a way, I want to see the main theme of the TV series in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Id like to see, for a final expansion, for them to go off-piste and do animals/beasts in the gladiatorial arena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Including all of the above, there can be arena obstacles, mission cards that may change betting, outcomes, or create new environs that the gladiators may work together as well as against similar to that of the X-men game. There is potential for more content but I was wondering if there has been any word of such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doubt we shall see any more. It's up to the fans to make the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis O Connell
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayland Games in the UK have pre-orders for Spartacus items - House Dice, Resin figures and Character Cards (could be the "Champions of the House Batiatus" Promo cards already available).
http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/2387-spartacus-a-game-of-blood...

So looks like there will be a few more things coming out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Docman14 wrote:
Wayland Games in the UK have pre-orders for Spartacus items - House Dice, Resin figures and Character Cards (could be the "Champions of the House Batiatus" Promo cards already available).
http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/2387-spartacus-a-game-of-blood...

So looks like there will be a few more things coming out soon.

These are some kind of an old hoax. I have never seen any evidence of these stuffs, the figures and house dices. Some webshops has these for pre-order for years now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
http://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=1... This is all the products GF9 has for sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see:
Animals in the arena,
Dynamic odds depending on the fighters,
Some kind of new card type,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the game's expansions have concluded. Shadow Of Death was ok... but its cost for content was rather lacking in my opinion.

Personally I'd more vote for a 2nd Edition of the game where all the components are taken into consideration to produce a degree of Balance between all forces (its an argueable point - but I still find Batiatus lacking in power, Solonius somewhat dull, and Glaber OP unless they face experienced Spartacus Players).

I am actually working on a 'fan-made' edition of this myself, which i'll prob post on here once done. So there will likely be content available via people like myself.

Officially however, I don't see much content left for the company to produce. Almost all gladiators and houses have been represented, and while there is a calling for animals... there were not in the TV series the game is based on.

Indeed if GForce is looking to expand, I suspect they will probably look to develop their X-Men equivilent of this game (which has no expansions yet I believe - but a MASSIVE army of characters to choose from!)

If you are looking for a more overall gladiator themed game, my suggestion would be look at the miniature game Arena Rex.

Anyway those are my thoughts on it. Regardless I do consider this a fun game with few flaws which i suspect will survive for a long time (indeally for as long the memory of Andy Whitfield lasts - we will always be my Spartacus!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game that might be worth checking out is the classic Gladiator from Avalon Hill. It has detailed arena combat and betting. It can be played as a campaign with gladiator experience and growth and there is also an advanced set of rules for animals available in The General.

When you want to expand further you can add Circus Maximus for Roman horse racing. Both games can be combined into a grand campaign of epic proportions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truls Rostrup
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
IMO the last expansion was brilliant, the all-slave primus was a riot in our last game.

And there should be potential for further expansions. In addition to what has been mentioned, I would like to see more interactive cards.

Fex,

- reaction cards that can be played to affect combat in various ways.
- cards that can interact with the armoury. Fex armour/weapon breaks after being used in the arena.
- a thief event that steals from another players armoury.

and perhaps far-fetched, but in the tv series love gained and lost was a huge driver for the characters. So some cards that can link two characters (slave/gladiator) in a bond for mutual bonuses/disadvantages depending on their fate. Even more theme in this rich game can only be a positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just making a few new cards, using different miniatures that can be bought anywhere you could do executions in the arena (like for Spartacus' very first time in the arena before he became a gladiator) and it's done.

There are no other main characters overlooked in the game from the TV Series so I guess this is pretty much everything, game is complete, not dead... unless someone has particular house rules (mods) to share and surely worth trying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrUlster wrote:
So some cards that can link two characters (slave/gladiator) in a bond for mutual bonuses/disadvantages depending on their fate. Even more theme in this rich game can only be a positive.

If memory serves me rightly, the closest we get to this is a slave we discard to exhaust a gladiator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy williams
Australia
Ferntree Gully
victoria
flag msg tools
mb
Mixo wrote:
Gr1mAce wrote:
murks666 wrote:

Well, what would you expect as an expansion? What is missing to your mind? To me the game is complete.

I also believe that there isn't a huge interested in further expansions in the player community (at least not enough to justify the effort of deaigning a new expansion). The latest expansion wasn't localized into German - likely because of the low sales numbers of the first expansion...

I don't believe they will expand however -
Vettius as a house and the Sica as a weapon would be nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.