Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the Additional Rules card #5 for Cube 384, it contains the following note:

Quote:
NOTE: When performing a 180-degree Spin Maneuver [down arrow], repeat steps 2 and 3 a 2nd time before continuing to step 4.

Steps 2-3 explain how to rotate the oversize base, and steps 4-7 explain how to move straight. The order listed in the note is wrong because of spin-after-move, but step 4 says that you do it before rotating, so that's acceptable, if awkwardly-worded. Go figure.

Aside from that, we had always played that the [down arrow] maneuvers were reverse maneuvers where the heading of the ship does not change, just like Fed ships. Because of spin-after-move, this wording effectively makes it a come-about maneuver. I looked at the Additional Rules cards for the Tactical Cubes and Sphere, the FAQ, Tournament Rules, and a quick search through these forums, and could not find any references to a 180-degree spin maneuver, either before or after the Borg modifications.

So which interpretation of the [down arrow] maneuvers is correct for orthogonal-moving Borg ships -- reverse or come-about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that they have long since ruled that the down arrow was a reverse on all the other Borg ships (thus why it is red) I would say that this ruling would be unique to the oversize cubes, unless they directly say otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, especially since that explanation is part of a section titled "Spin Maneuver (Oversized Borg Cube)."

(As I understand it, the reason for the "180 spin" is just that the oversized base doesn't have a notch for a regular reverse. It made more sense back in the spin-then-move days, since that more closely resembled a reverse than the current maneuver does.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, but the process for a regular reverse would just be the opposite of a forward with a large base ship:

1. Put a movement template that you didn't select in the front notch
2. Remove the large base ship from the table
3. Place the selected template in line with the template from #1
4. Put the front notch at the far end of the selected template

That's why I can't fathom why they would have the same symbol mean 2 completely different maneuvers, depending on the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I posted the question to WORF. In case it (likely) gets rejected as off-topic, here's what I sent:

Quote:
In the Additional Rules card #5 for Cube 384, it contains the following note:

NOTE: When performing a 180-degree Spin Maneuver [down arrow], repeat steps 2 and 3 a 2nd time before continuing to step 4.

The beginning of Step 4 indicates that you move forward before rotating, which agrees with the current Tournament Rules document that states that Borg ships move before rotating. Following those instructions would seem to mean that a Borg Cube that selects a [down arrow] maneuver would move forward then rotate 90 degrees twice, effectively making it a come-about instead of a reverse.

Which of the following is the correct interpretation of the [down arrow] maneuvers for a large base Borg Cube?
1. The Cube moves backward equal to the speed of the maneuver, performing a reverse.
2. The Cube moves forward equal to the speed of the maneuver then rotates 90 degrees twice, performing a come-about.
3. The Cube rotates 90 degrees twice then moves forward equal to the speed of the maneuver, which contradicts the Spin Maneuver section in the Tournament Rules document dated 2016-05-31.

Finally, does this differ from the correct interpretation of that same [down arrow] maneuver for the other Borg ships with orthogonal movement, namely the Tactical Cube, Sphere, and Scout Cube?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Funnell
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I spotted that section on 'spin manoeuvre' too and it freaked me out as we have always played the arrows facing backwards as reverse. I am interested in the outcome of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
WORF responded in record time:

http://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11327

Cube 384's [down arrow] maneuvers are come-abouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Why on earth did they not just make them Come-abouts in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was thinking about it, and it's a slightly different maneuver than a normal come-about, because it's tighter for a given speed due to the way that the large base moves:

- If a normal ship does a speed 1 come-about, the movement template gets placed between the old front edge and the new front edge, making the new back edge 2 movement units away from the old front edge.

- If Cube 384 does a speed 1 180-spin, the front edge advances 1 movement unit, then it rotates. That makes the new back edge only 1 movement unit away from the old front edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.