Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cory swafford
United States
Waterbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking the other day about adjusting the difficulty of the game upwards. I know there are tons of threads already on this but I thought I would contribute one more idea.

How about reducing the effectiveness of clue tokens? Make it so the first time you need to use a clue token on your turn it costs 1 token. If you need to use a clue token again on the same turn it costs 2 tokens and so on.

Or you could reverse it. First reroll costs 3 tokens, second reroll costs 2 and all remaining on this turn cost 1.

Or just limiting the amount of clue tokens or items a player can own at once? An encumbrance of sorts.

Any further ideas or related suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to do any of those, do the first one. The second one makes your first re-roll prohibitively expensive and then the cost drops for no reason. Buildup is better.

Clues as encumbrance don't make sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory swafford
United States
Waterbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kungfro,
Thanks for responding.
I agree with you that The first option does make the most sense.
Thematically, it makes sense that as you enter a new location you may find piecing together clues easy at first to string together but then you have to dig further to relate new information and This makes clues require more effort to use. This is represented by an increase in clue cost.

I could also see it in the reverse way though where it requires a lot of effort at first to piece together clues but things may get easier as you start to unravel the puzzle. Represented by a decrease in clue cost.
If this is the way that I ended up going then I was thinking of changing the cost to be "per location" instead of "per turn". That way, if you stay at the location for a few turns you don't have to reset the clue cost to the "expensive" cost each turn and can benefit from your past failures at that location.

About the encumbrance...
Clues could be physical clues or just mentally draining. Ether way they would increase your encumbrance. I know it doesn't make sense but I am trying to find justification. It also doesn't make sense in "eldritch horror" when you can carry as many items,clues,spells and artifacts as you could possibly want but are limited to a maximum of 2 travel tickets at one time. That one bugs me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My gut reaction is that limiting the number of items a character can have decreases the fun. I'd look elsewhere for ways to increase difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mercurycs wrote:
Clues could be physical clues or just mentally draining. Ether way they would increase your encumbrance. I know it doesn't make sense but I am trying to find justification. It also doesn't make sense in "eldritch horror" when you can carry as many items,clues,spells and artifacts as you could possibly want but are limited to a maximum of 2 travel tickets at one time. That one bugs me.

My understanding (possibly wrong) is that that limitation is to keep people from zooming all around the planet in a single turn. In the time period the game is set in, travel was comparatively slow (notice that there are no airlines, only an occasional charter planes (in the form of a Service Asset)), and it would be quite unthematic to be able to move from Arkham to Sydney in a single go. There are, however, supernatural ways of moving great distances (at least one spell can teleport and Akachi can teleport after closing a gate).

That said, with the addition of Mountains of Madness, they added a mechanic that a character can spend 2 Acquire Asset successes to automatically move to the Antarctica sideboard. This was likely to avoid that it took 3-4 turns for anyone to get to that sideboard (making it a huge time-sink). Curiously, they did not do the same for the Under the Pyramids sideboard (but that one has 4(?) paths connecting it to the main board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.