Subject: BattleGUIDES Episode 53 - Thessala (Fate of Indines) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, everyone! New video's out! It's Thessala. Her UA was a PAIN to talk about, but I think I did a good job.

What do you think?

This brings an end to the "beginner" flight of Fate. On to the Advanced Flight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta say I'm not really a fan of this character. The UA is a little too screwy for my taste.

I haven't played her enough to make a judgment about whether she's OP, UP, or balanced, but there's something about playing a character who has so many ante options that it feels somewhat discourteous to my opponent to play her, like I'm forcing them to consider way too many possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
Gotta say I'm not really a fan of this character. The UA is a little too screwy for my taste.

I haven't played her enough to make a judgment about whether she's OP, UP, or balanced, but there's something about playing a character who has so many ante options that it feels somewhat discourteous to my opponent to play her, like I'm forcing them to consider way too many possibilities.

I mean, that's why I pretty much hate fighting her. She's definitely not OP by any means, but she does make you feel like many beats are just coin flips (since she can just ante one of her 4+ beat-changing effects and screw you). However, it all works the other way, too, I guess. She can end up wasting her biggest effects on beats where it doesn't matter.

In my opinion, fighting Thessala's all really about making plays that counter with broad strokes, rather than focused objectives.

That is to say, don't make any plays that levy on her having a specific number of a stat. Don't make a play hoping she'll only have Priority 5, or Range 1. Instead, make use of attacks that counter a large problem space. A perfect example of which is Clockwork Shot. Sure, she has a counter to that, but she only has around 2 instances of it. She'll run out of it eventually!

So yeah. The dumber your attacks are, the better they are for dealing with Thessala.

It's also important to understand how much you can trim her possibilities. Just think of it this way: Soak is almost the same as SG in many respects. With this in mind, you've effectively "reduced" the possibilities on her board by 1/4.

Also, if you're running a slow attack with tons of SG/Soak, you don't care about her prio or SG/soak anymore (since you're planning to go second anyway).

In a sense, slower characters are a "hard" counter to her UA trickery (which is why Liquid exists to correct how screwed she can get).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.