15 Posts

Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Variants

Subject: Removing Double Spawn Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
msg tools
mbmbmb
My group is not a fan of the confusion caused when one or more double spawn cards are drawn. It seems to slow the game down as we try to figure out what is getting placed where.

I was thinking of removing the double spawn cards and replacing them with rolling for the spawns like in Rue Morgue.

Will this make the game too easy? Do the double spawn cards add to the difficulty or are they there just to switch up the spawning zones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The double spawn cards help create uncertainty as to what spawn points will have zombies show up. If you have four spawn points and you draw a double spawn for one of them, nothing appears at that location, but twice as many Z's will show up at the next.

In the end it is your game so play the way you enjoy it. If the double spawns are not to you liking, pull them out. Personally I like the way they work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For my next game I plan to halve the amount of double spawn cards in the deck, to see how that goes. I do like them adding uncertainty, but there's so dang many of them. Gets confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried it with half and without. It makes the game to easy in my opinion. They seem to always mess up your plans but that is what the game is about. Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the ambiguity coming from all the convoluted rulings, double double spawns, double spawns on the last or unique zone of a building, etc. are unnecessary complicated with lots of corner cases. Sometimes it causes you to add more zombies than expected, sometimes it just moves those zombies around...

All of this simply goes away if you reformulate the effect to "Do not spawn zombies there. Draw ONE additional card for the next zone". Most of the time it does the same, it just eliminates all corner cases where you'd get extra spawns for seemingly no reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth remembering that if you're adding in expansions (wolves, deadeyes, extra abominations, NPCs) the multi Double-Spawns at once situation comes up a lot less.

As other people have said though: it DOES create uncertainty, but once you figure out the strange rules around rooms and the like, it's not really that difficult, and it makes the game more interesting, even if you do sigh when you pull the card, and go back round to spawn-point 1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like the double spawns. In find that, particularly when you have multiple necros in the deck, they can lead to some spawn zones getting nearly overrun in a single zombie phase. Fun times.
When multiple double spawns show up sequentially, I'll often set the cards on the spawn point (or room) where they'll take effect. That helps alleviate the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe I will try and remove half of them to keep the threat of randomness there. I think with all of the extra aboms/necromancers the game should still be challenging. It just seems like there are too many times were we pull 2-3 double spawns in a row and our group is sent scrambling trying to figure out where everything goes.

I wish CMON would have used the spawning from Rue Morgue. That was both simple and mixed up the spawns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey... is really up to you if you like it with no spawn cards and like the rolling more, go for it. The double spawn just work like a randomizer.. so rolling as rue should be fine.

i also like the spawning from rue quite a bit, but so far the double spawn is ok. Only thing irritating us is when you drawn X of them one after the other and it just goes around to original spot.. -.-' and one time after going around we drawn NOTHING lol lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find them confusing, simply use them the intuitive way.

When a Double Spawn card is drawn at a spawn point, immediately resolve two more spawns at that spawn point. No switching back and forth.

This will make the game slightly harder, since Double Spawns will always result in more Zombies being spawned (or activated).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dafrca
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
When a Double Spawn card is drawn at a spawn point, immediately resolve two more spawns at that spawn point. No switching back and forth.

I have thought of doing it this way myself but was unsure what impact it would have, if any, on the overall game.

To be honest, I do like how this would make the double spawn much simpler and I like clean and simple rules when I can get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
per ekelund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
We removed the DS cards from our game. They gave everybody a headache specially when you draw two DS both on the last and last but one spawn point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
I like the double spawn cards, but dang the rules are terribly written for them. Heck, a lot of the rules are terrible considering this is roughly the 4 iteration of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Faught
Taiwan
Long Tan
Taoyuan
flag msg tools
Another possibility is if you draw a second double spawn card. You can randomly shuffle it back into this deck. And I hate trying to place 15 walkers in one spawn area. So i do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree. The double spawn cards sound good but are more annoying if you ever start drawing consecutive double spawns.

It would have made more sense to just have some cards that have a much higher number of zombies on them instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.