Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wondering about how the bots consider marching in place.
I have two scenarios to inquire about:
1. let's say three Roman Legions, two Auxilia, 10 Germanic warbands and 2 German Allies are at Ubii. Caesar and the rest of the Roman forces are alone somewhere else (let's say Provincia), as the Roman bot tends to keep its forces in two groups. No other german allies on board, nobody at victory score 0+.
Roman Battle or March under threat is triggered in Ubii. Battle would put the legions at risk, so the Romans march. They proceed to choose their two destinations, and Ubii is definitely one of them due to the German Allies, right? The way I understand it they'll split their forces as evenly as possible between Ubii and another place. The fact that they march first from Ubii means that all or most of the pieces there will march in place, even though it's ineffective, and then the March from Provincia (if affordable) will move in some reinforcements?

2. What if the group in Ubii were the only Roman "movable" forces (and 0-6 onboard Legions)? Will they still march in place?

I think it all boils down to: is a "Diamond test-positive" region a valid March under threat target? I think it is, but the Roman bot behaved somewhat strangely with regards to that so I thought I'd check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Elia!

In 8.8.1, and throughout the Non-player rules, we used "March from" as synonymous with (shorthand for) "March out of". So the Non-player Romans will not pay to merely March in place.

Contrast that general rule with NP Belgic Enlist on page 20, top right bullet 2, "If not, March within a Region in order to Hide ...". Sometimes Belgae will March Germans within a Region to Hide them (since it costs 0).

Hope that answers! Enjoy, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.