Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of war games out there. Most of them are exceedingly complex and take many hours to play. There is a lot fun and challenge to be had with those games but to enjoy them you have to invest quite a bit of energy and time. Battle Cry is not one of those games. It is, in fact, far at the other end of things. It is a fun, exciting and surprisingly tactical game.
This remarkable game boils down the whole “war game” idea into a streamlined set of rules and a fast paced style of game play that has completely taken over my gaming group. Quite a few war games have been described as fast past and fun but this one actually delivers.
Right from the start I loved this game but at first I wasn’t sure how much of the action was luck and how much was skill. Well, I have played more than 30 games now, and I’d say that Battle Cry has an excellent balance between the two. The player who has a better understanding of basic military tactics and the mechanics of the game will almost always come out on top. The situation were luck plays a big roll, is when two equally skill opponents face off. In this case, sometimes it can come down the roll of a dice or the draw of a card.
There is a lot of luck in this game, mind you, but it is the right kind of luck. The rules and game mechanics allow you to hedge your bets and tip the scale of luck in your favor at every turn. If you make the right choices the bell curves will level off and it will come down to who was the cleverest on the battlefield.
It is important, however, to realize that there are many different types of gamers out there. This game is about riding the chaos and turning it to your favor. If you are someone who prefers more complete control of your game, you might want to look elsewhere. In addition, if you like your battles intricate, realistic or with a great deal of options, there is a long list of more complicated games for you to choose from. But if you are looking for a quick and exciting war game, you’ll be looking at a very short list and at the top of it, you will find Battle Cry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.