Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It says the game is playable as a solitaire game, but tom vassel said the game is about cooperation between the various characters.

Does it means that solitaire play requires the player to play multiple character like suggested in games like Arkham/Eldritch Horror and it's friends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Does it means that solitaire play requires the player to play multiple character like suggested in games like Arkham/Eldritch Horror and it's friends?

Yep, you'll want to control multiple characters working in concert when playing solo. I've mostly done it using two characters, which is challenging but quite manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed , it does play very well solo and two characters is a great challenge.If I want an easier game I use a wizard with two other characters.
One good thing about this game is it does not feel diluted with multiple characters as they all play differently. For some reason when I play a comparable game like Pandemic the multiple character plays samey if you know what I mean, although we prefer Pandemic as a group game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
I play with two heroes with two counters in the city that I can spend at any time to cancel one Darkness Spreads card.

The two biggest problems with playing a single hero are the small number of cards you'll have for attacking the bosses and not being able to effectively cover the board to be where you need to be if something starts going badly.

It may be possible with the better heroes, like the wizard or the barbarian, but it would require some extreme luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. Playing with 2 characters is normally managable. Atleast I did it in Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror and Elder Sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had around 20 plays with a group and 20 plays where I played solo running multiple characters. There's a little bit of difference in the experience, but not enough to recommend one experience over another. Ultimately, the focus is on using your resources to contain or get ahead of the various looming crises. During those cooperative plays, I've rarely seen any case where there is significant negotiation or discussion over what ought to be done - it's usually pretty plain what needs to be tackled next.

Side note - the game does not contain any hidden information, so it is fully capable as a solitaire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game solo. I take 4 characters and increase the difficulty with different add ons. My characters are random, and that synergy makes for interesting combinations.

I lovingly refer to this game as "the working man's Mage Knight".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo as well. Usually with 2 or 3 characters, I'll do the draw-two/pick-one and try to balance them from that. It's not too difficult to manage. I splay my hand of cards out on the table so I don't have to keep picking up a hand of 8 or 10 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dastardly Knave
msg tools
mb
I've played solo multiple times and enjoyed it. I play with two characters. I'm not usually a fan of controlling multiple characters because in many games it can get too fiddly and be a chore. Luckily, in this game that's not the case. Most characters are straight forward with not too much to track so multiple characters is fun and not a chore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Martin
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I have played this game with just one character and enjoy it as much with using multi-characters. Playing with only one character means you can have more cards at the end of the round. I find this tougher and more challenging then with more character. I would try this if you love solo. I don't thing the game is in need of have more then one character. I will add that this is one of my favorite solo game. I am not comparing this to Mage knight, but I do play this more then mage knight(as a solo game with one character) and I find it more enjoyable, easier to teach and plays a lot faster, and still has tons of choices every round. Also there are many ways to ramp up your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One character! That's hard-core! Just curious what your w/like ratio is?

My only struggle with using less than four characters is that I don't get enough general cards to beat them. It feels like I'm going in with very little chance to beat them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Martin
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I win half of the games I play solo and sometimes more. I love the challenge. And this isn't with just certain characters. Even though some are better them most at doing this feat(this being you get to do your characters ability more). I always choose my character at random. This is very tough but is tons of fun if you love a challenge. You really learn to push your character limits to the core. Sometimes I think the game can be harder with more players even though you can cover more ground with more character. Playing solo means you need to build more portals and use your cards every effectively for every action possible(using the Inns more also). Push your luck!!! even if at times you need to end your turn with enemy units. I find its fun and it works very good solo IMO. This has becomes one of my favorite games to play solo. And when you finish your game with a win, with a single character you will want to do it again. And I love how you can ramp up the game as well as de-ramp the game and you will always have fun with it even if you don't win every game. But co-op games are not meant to win every time. It need to be hard or otherwise you wouldn't really want to play it over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with both the challenge part and loving the game because how much you can create the difficulty that you want.

So do you still keep the 10 card hand limit or does that increase because of the fact that you are a solo character?

My initial turn off was the time I only played with two characters and I could not get good Hero cards to save my life! But we definitely didn't use portals and inns well either.

My focus has always been a bit different too where I like the 4 characters because I like a nice thematic adventure where we don't map it out so heavily but rather try to roll with the punches and plan for the general we need to kill next. And watching the characters interactions with special abilities.

But man, I really want to try your way now that I know you can have a good win loss ratio. That is only important to me because of the luck factor. If you win all the time, that's boring for sure and if you lose all the time, that makes me think that a win is really luck based more than decision based. But that sounds great and can make me a better player so I can take on the harder generals better. Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Martin
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Some rule changes when doing solo(approved by Richard).
- Can hold 12-15 cards at the end of round(whatever your prefer)
- At the inns draw 3 cards instead 2 card.
- You can also have each general lose 1 or 2 health(I don't play this rule).

I also love playing with more character(just as yourself), and agree that the adventure is great and interaction between each of characters are great. I love the game even the 5-6 player game as well. Everyone I play with really gets into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would try this if you love solo.

Well, I am trying to acquire games that has the option to play as solitaire, so that if I cannot make it hit the table, I can still play it by myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Then Defenders of the Realm should fit the bill. It's very easy to run multiple characters by yourself to play the game.

Unfortunately, it's out of print; but another fun solo game is Tomb & Tomb:Cryptmaster. The game combines elements of concentration (remember where cards are placed) and a competitive "take that" aspect against other players. The solo game lets you place 1/2 the cards in the dungeon and the other half are randomly drawn. Once you've cleared out the inn of heroes (which are easily killed) or you clear all the crypts, the game is over. The only knock I'd have against the Tomb is crypts with a lot of cards (4+) tend to trigger lengthy combats: You find a monster and that monster requires spell and prayer card draws which leads to before combat actions, etc. It can be a drag in multiplayer games when a combat takes 20-25 minutes to resolve and 3 players are left with nothing to do during that time; this isn't an issue when you're playing solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Unfortunately, it's out of print

I saw it a lot of time in math trades, but I was hesitating. I could get another chance eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it on board game bliss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.