United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

MONDAY, June 27, 2016 (HealthDay News) -- In yet another sign that lesbian, gay and bisexual people face additional health risks, a new study finds they're more likely to drink heavily and smoke.

Gay men and bisexuals of both genders are also more likely to report moderate-to-severe "psychological distress," and lesbians have a higher risk of poor or fair health than other women, the researchers reported.

The study, which mirrors the findings of earlier research, doesn't determine why gay, lesbian and bisexual people face these higher health risks.


It also says...

Quote:

"Stigma and discrimination against the LGBT population can lead to lower levels of self-esteem and cause feelings of shame and rejection," explained study author Gilbert Gonzales. He is an assistant professor with Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, in Nashville


So apparently the LGBT community has higher risk for health problems.
Does that mean they should pay higher insurance premiums?
I have to swear a blood oath that I am a non tobacco user to pay less on my health insurance since tobacco users have a higher risk. If they shouldnt why not?

The social stigma thing kind of surprises me. Since it seems that national outcry supports LGBT from a very vocal group of people, but are all the people that surrounds these LGBT people just being assholes to them?
Should we make people that are mean to LGBT people pay higher premiums to make up for the health problems they are forcing upon the LGBT's?


http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=19...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure from the D-Bunker, it looks like the entire country is behind LGBT, but given that it's still an uphill fight, even after winning the SCOTUS lawsuit.

Since things are still not equal (last I checked, gay men can't give blood) we're still not there.

As for the Higher Insurance Premiums. I'm sure that someone, somewhere has already included the high cost into their tables and charts and passed that cost on to the rest of us.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
I'm sure from the D-Bunker, it looks like the entire country is behind LGBT, but given that it's still an uphill fight, even after winning the SCOTUS lawsuit.

Since things are still not equal (last I checked, gay men can't give blood) we're still not there.

As for the Higher Insurance Premiums. I'm sure that someone, somewhere has already included the high cost into their tables and charts and passed that cost on to the rest of us.


I guess you couldn't read what I said...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
So apparently the LGBT community has higher risk for health problems.
Does that mean they should pay higher insurance premiums?
I have to swear a blood oath that I am a non tobacco user to pay less on my health insurance since tobacco users have a higher risk. If they shouldnt why not?

Because there's a difference between who you inherently are and what you freely choose to do.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
I'm sure from the D-Bunker, it looks like the entire country is behind LGBT, but given that it's still an uphill fight, even after winning the SCOTUS lawsuit.

Since things are still not equal (last I checked, gay men can't give blood) we're still not there.

As for the Higher Insurance Premiums. I'm sure that someone, somewhere has already included the high cost into their tables and charts and passed that cost on to the rest of us.


I guess you couldn't read what I said...


I read what you said. I also have worked the insurance industry. If something causes a higher cost, it's already been tabulated and included in the cost. They don't bring it up, but it's been done, and the cost past on.

As for the rest of your comments, whats the point. Trying to talk to the D is like trying to talk to...well a D.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
So apparently the LGBT community has higher risk for health problems.
Does that mean they should pay higher insurance premiums?
I have to swear a blood oath that I am a non tobacco user to pay less on my health insurance since tobacco users have a higher risk. If they shouldnt why not?

Because there's a difference between who you inherently are and what you freely choose to do.


Diabetes?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
So apparently the LGBT community has higher risk for health problems.
Does that mean they should pay higher insurance premiums?
I have to swear a blood oath that I am a non tobacco user to pay less on my health insurance since tobacco users have a higher risk. If they shouldnt why not?

Because there's a difference between who you inherently are and what you freely choose to do.


Diabetes?

No, I would describe you more like genital crabs.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
The social stigma thing kind of surprises me. Since it seems that national outcry supports LGBT from a very vocal group of people, but are all the people that surrounds these LGBT people just being assholes to them?


We recently had our first wedding at Boda Borg. It was a gay couple and one of the grooms talked about how as he was growing up he hated going to weddings because he knew that he could never have one. As a child he didn't think he would ever find a life partner and then as a teen he "knew" that even if he did he would never be able to get married and celebrate his love with friends and family.

There is a lot of support out there for GLBT people, but there is also still a lot of animus. Some work environments aren't safe to come out in. Some communities are actively hostile. A lot of GLBT people know that if they hold hands with their partner or kiss in public or do any of the things that many straight people take for granted they are likely to get stares, muttered comments, yelled comments and even potentially violence.

It's nothing like it once was. When I was in high school I was out to exactly two people and didn't know anyone else who was openly not straight. I found out years later that a friend in my circle was gay and also hiding it. Today that same school has a gay-straight alliance and anti-gay bigotry has gone from so mainstream it's hard even to call it bigotry to a minority viewpoint. But it's still enough for some people to have a hard time of it.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
So apparently the LGBT community has higher risk for health problems.
Does that mean they should pay higher insurance premiums?
I have to swear a blood oath that I am a non tobacco user to pay less on my health insurance since tobacco users have a higher risk. If they shouldnt why not?

Because there's a difference between who you inherently are and what you freely choose to do.


Diabetes?

No, I would describe you more like genital crabs.


Brilliant response, chancre blossom. I respond with something valid, you resort to insults like the other leftist daffodils.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
So apparently the LGBT community has higher risk for health problems.
Does that mean they should pay higher insurance premiums?
I have to swear a blood oath that I am a non tobacco user to pay less on my health insurance since tobacco users have a higher risk. If they shouldnt why not?

Because there's a difference between who you inherently are and what you freely choose to do.


This is true generically, but a guy who decides to act like a woman is not "inherently" a woman. A simple DNA test will show that.


Ferret
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
So apparently the LGBT community has higher risk for health problems.
Does that mean they should pay higher insurance premiums?
I have to swear a blood oath that I am a non tobacco user to pay less on my health insurance since tobacco users have a higher risk. If they shouldnt why not?

Because there's a difference between who you inherently are and what you freely choose to do.


Diabetes?


Fun story, from about 6 or 7 years ago, when I got out of the insurance racket.

Hospitals would unbundle charges for their HCPC Codes (what is used to bill services and material for procedures in the insurance industry.

What unbundling means is that hospitals would charge you for a drawing blood for a lab test, for whatever reason. They would then also charge you for the supplies used during the procedure (which are included in the actual procedure.)

So insurance companies would have employees (lots of them) to go through all the bills we got from a hospital to catch these. It was so much money, the company had around 10 people in this department alone.

It was losing the hospitals so much money, that when they were contracting with networks to be in those networks, one of the conditions they were getting included was "you can't check claims for unbundling".

I got out before I could find out how it resolved, but my guess is that the cost was passed on to the consumer, as it always is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
D better wrap it up we're almost to the second page...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
D better wrap it up we're almost to the second page...


The D can't wrap it. It's against his beliefs. He goes raw into the second page.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
D better wrap it up we're almost to the second page...


Whatever you say, troll.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
So apparently the LGBT community has higher risk for health problems.
Does that mean they should pay higher insurance premiums?
I have to swear a blood oath that I am a non tobacco user to pay less on my health insurance since tobacco users have a higher risk. If they shouldnt why not?

Because there's a difference between who you inherently are and what you freely choose to do.


This is true generically, but a guy who decides to act like a woman is not "inherently" a woman. A simple DNA test will show that.


Ferret


But this discussion is not covering trans individuals. It is covering gay and bisexual individuals. So that is neither here nor there.

Anyhow, to the original post. Only addressing the linked article.

Any issues of increased drinking/smoking should already be covered by the fact that both those things are already examined in a lot of cases (as you yourself point out).

Stress is an interesting one, but opening it up as a reason insurance companies can charge more is a bad idea, since the logical thing is to start charging more to people in "stressful" careers and the like.

So, basically, you don't want to start charging LGBTQ people more because it is pretty easy to splash back on other groups.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
So apparently the LGBT community has higher risk for health problems.
Does that mean they should pay higher insurance premiums?
I have to swear a blood oath that I am a non tobacco user to pay less on my health insurance since tobacco users have a higher risk. If they shouldnt why not?

Because there's a difference between who you inherently are and what you freely choose to do.


Diabetes?

No, I would describe you more like genital crabs.


Brilliant response, chancre blossom. I respond with something valid, you resort to insults like the other leftist daffodils.


C'mon, that was funny!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
Any issues of increased drinking/smoking should already be covered by the fact that both those things are already examined in a lot of cases (as you yourself point out).


Exactly. If being gay you more likely to do things that increase health risks, then increase costs for those behaviors and you'll capture the relevant risks. If being gay doesn't cause you to do things which increase health risks, but has higher risks for reasons outside your control, we should treat that much the way we do other invariant traits and share that ill fortune among the pool of insured people.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:


The social stigma thing kind of surprises me. Since it seems that national outcry supports LGBT from a very vocal group of people, but are all the people that surrounds these LGBT people just being assholes to them?


Based on polling in 2016, a majority of Americans (55%) support same-sex marriage, compared with 37% who oppose it. See the latest data on same-sex marriage.

Add to this all politicians and presidential candidates that went bugfuck over the obergefell v. hodges decision with promises to outlaw gay marriage, the lack of a national gay rights bill, and the odd killing or fifty, and I can see where there idea that there is still a stigma attached can come from.


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
D better wrap it up we're almost to the second page...


Whatever you say, troll.


One of the best laughs I've had all day so far, my irony bone almost broke in half, thanks D! kiss
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
D better wrap it up we're almost to the second page...


Whatever you say, troll.


One of the best laughs I've had all day so far, my irony bone almost broke in half, thanks D! kiss


What have you said of any consequence?
I guess you do not know what a troll is...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
D,

What I don't get is this. You start a lot of threads, asking for response. In my experience, you're vastly more likely to respond to someone giving you crap and vastly more likely to ignore anyone who treats your post seriously and responds to your questions.

This is why a lot of people think you're a troll -- not because of your opinions but because the essence of trolling is writing posts with the goal of provoking fights or upsetting people, and you seem primarily interested in the posts that could escalate into some sort of fight.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
D,

What I don't get is this. You start a lot of threads, asking for response. In my experience, you're vastly more likely to respond to someone giving you crap and vastly more likely to ignore anyone who treats your post seriously and responds to your questions.

This is why a lot of people think you're a troll -- not because of your opinions but because the essence of trolling is writing posts with the goal of provoking fights or upsetting people, and you seem primarily interested in the posts that could escalate into some sort of fight.


I start a thread, the leftist shit brains come in and crap all over it, and I lose interest in actually talking about it because all I get in response is the usual suspects just posting shit.
And If I do respond to an actual post, some other fuck stain comes in and trolls that too. Oh well...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
D,

What I don't get is this. You start a lot of threads, asking for response. In my experience, you're vastly more likely to respond to someone giving you crap and vastly more likely to ignore anyone who treats your post seriously and responds to your questions.

This is why a lot of people think you're a troll -- not because of your opinions but because the essence of trolling is writing posts with the goal of provoking fights or upsetting people, and you seem primarily interested in the posts that could escalate into some sort of fight.


I start a thread, the leftist shit brains come in and crap all over it, and I lose interest in actually talking about it because all I get in response is the usual suspects just posting shit.
And If I do respond to an actual post, some other fuck stain comes in and trolls that too. Oh well...


Prove your critics wrong. Post thoughtful analysis on a topic in your original post. Stay away from insulting and belittling commentary.

Since your initial posts are all the same. You post a link, as insulting and belittling questions, do you really believe your critics should treat them as anything more than the initial trolling that they always descend into?
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
D,

What I don't get is this. You start a lot of threads, asking for response. In my experience, you're vastly more likely to respond to someone giving you crap and vastly more likely to ignore anyone who treats your post seriously and responds to your questions.

This is why a lot of people think you're a troll -- not because of your opinions but because the essence of trolling is writing posts with the goal of provoking fights or upsetting people, and you seem primarily interested in the posts that could escalate into some sort of fight.


I start a thread, the leftist shit brains come in and crap all over it, and I lose interest in actually talking about it because all I get in response is the usual suspects just posting shit.
And If I do respond to an actual post, some other fuck stain comes in and trolls that too. Oh well...


Prove your critics wrong. Post thoughtful analysis on a topic in your original post. Stay away from insulting and belittling commentary.

Since your initial posts are all the same. You post a link, as insulting and belittling questions, do you really believe your critics should treat them as anything more than the initial trolling that they always descend into?


Hey, asshole.
I tried that for over a month.
And I wound up a pedophile that rapes his own kids as deemed by this shit birds in this cesspool.
So I admit, I went back to not trying so hard, because the people in here didnt deserve that kind of effort.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
I start a thread, the leftist shit brains come in and crap all over it, and I lose interest in actually talking about it because all I get in response is the usual suspects just posting shit.
And If I do respond to an actual post, some other fuck stain comes in and trolls that too. Oh well...


Then be the bigger man, plonk 'em/ignore 'em, and only respond to the people actually engaging in the topic.

Look. I'll be honest. I'm not perfect. I snap and say mean things sometimes on this board. But, for the most part, I make a serious effort to comport myself and give at least some actual content to my posts. Even when I vehemently dislike the person involved.

Don't stoop to their level. Be the better person.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.