Subject: miniature PAINT rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: minis [+] [View All]
Ken Wickes
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
What brand does everyone prefer?

Will a warhammer player use non-GW paints? (sorry but I don't like their bottles)

I was going to stock Reaper Pro based on reviews.

Thoughts?

Ken Wickes
Unique Gifts and Games
Grayslake, IL
(may/07)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Baron
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mb
I recommend the colores from vallejo (spanish brand). Especially red & metall colors are much better than from GW. Just google-search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
vallejo are good and so are GW (no matter how much I hate to say it). Both of these are reasonably similar. There are higher quality paints on the market that are better, but they are more expensive (I think it is called master series or something it has a much higher pigment count and the paints come in packs of 3 all the same colour, but different shades). I use vallejo, but GW is just as good. If you don't like GW bottles than Vellejo is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's very many Warhammer players that are that snobby about paints. Vallejo GAME colour matches the main GW line (but with different clever names) so if you want to paint to match something in a GW publication, it's easy. I use Vallejo, the dropper bottles are great so waste is minimalized, contamination is almost impossible, and it'll take a lot more effort for you to dry out a container of paint.

I've never used Reaper paints, so can't comment on them. Can't say I've heard bad things about any particular brand (other than the GW bottles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere is selling quality paint for a really cheap price, you might want to check on this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/153785

The only drawback, is that as soon as there all sold, there will be no more, the maker of that paint folded a while ago. I bought a huge quantity, however, I got them frozen as there was a bit of cold (very cold) weather the week I received it here. Bad timing.

I'm no pro at painting, but I like them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might sound crazy, but I use the cheap Folk Art, Delta Ceramcoat, and Apple Barrel Acrylics found in craft stores. Actually, Folk Art now has a 'Artist Pigment' series that is really nice. I think I've done quite well too: http://www.jesseacosta.net/painting

The only thing I really recommend is using a real acrylic white, like from System 3 acrylics. White is a pain to paint without having to use a bunch of coats, using an actual artist's acrylic helps make it just a few less coats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a combination of Vallejo, Reaper Master, and GW Citadel paints for my Warmachine Protectorate army. While I've been happy with those lines of paints, I must say that I've been particularly impressed with Privateer Press' new P3 line of paints. While there is a pretty darn good selection of P3 paints available now, PP has yet to release their whole line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McCloud
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the suggestions on vallejo and reaper paints. They are both excellent. I prefer reaper paint's dropper design for their paints, as it's easier to water down and apply to the miniature without too much fear of spillage. Vallejo is good, the best actually, but harder to get ahold in some parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomadik wrote:
I might sound crazy, but I use the cheap Folk Art, Delta Ceramcoat, and Apple Barrel Acrylics found in craft stores.

I'll second that. The paints work well for my historical miniatures, and I much prefer to get 4 times the paint for 1/4 the money!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prefer?.....hmmmm.....I think I like vallejo the best.....but....my collection is vast. I still have a large collection of GW paints.....I HATED the screw on tops....they sucked!
I have my box of Adikolor that I picked up on the Nin-Gonost closeout which are very good paints.
My ace in the bag is my set of Kel's Magic Sauce which is not a 'paint' per say...but more of an ink/wash. It is an EXCELLENT addition to a paint collection!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a mixture of paints myself. For most of my work I use Vallejo Gamecolors. The rest of my collection is GW inks and metallics.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ruddy
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philgamer wrote:
Nomadik wrote:
I might sound crazy, but I use the cheap Folk Art, Delta Ceramcoat, and Apple Barrel Acrylics found in craft stores.

I'll second that. The paints work well for my historical miniatures, and I much prefer to get 4 times the paint for 1/4 the money!!!

I've also experimented with various 'artist' paints - Folk Art and Apple Barrel to name 2 with decent results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also vouch for Vallejo. Their quality is excellent and the dropper dispenser in the top of each bottle is a great feature. I use their Model Color series for historical WWII minis, but I don't use their primer- I prefer to use spray-on sandable automotive primer (Duplicolor, etc.).

Here's Vallejo's official site:
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com

Here are some online sources for Vallejo paints if you can't find them at your local hobby store:
http://www.thewarstore.com
http://brookhursthobbies.com/

Also, check E-Bay. Some E-Bay 'stores' stock Vallejo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brealey
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Vallejo. I've recently gotten back into mini painting after a long break, and the first thing I did was to stock up on GW paints - which are certainly good quality - but since finding the complete range of Vallejo in a hobby shop I've been converted. Significantly cheaper for a larger size (17ml as opposed to GWs 12ml), a nice consistency for thin washes and painting in layers (I find that I waste far too much GW paint due to having to thin it down), and the final point about the dropper which also applies to waste: with the Vallejos I only ever need a single drop from the bottle and as a result hardly any gets wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
I use Reaper Masters and Vallejo. I prefer the Reaper stuff for the most part, and am tending to only use the Vallejo paints I don't have a Reaper equivalent for these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Bruce
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

I used to use Testors flats, then I switched to Humbrol enamels. I have since grown old and less interested in cleaning stuff, so I switched to GW paints for everything and haven't looked back. They are not cheap, but they are of good quality, easy to find/replace, mix well, and have little cleanup.

If there were one fault I have with all acryllics, it is that they tend to dry out fast.

I also agree with your dislike of the GW "slop-pot" bottles, but at least they don't seal themselves the way testors used to

jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomadik wrote:
I might sound crazy, but I use the cheap Folk Art, Delta Ceramcoat, and Apple Barrel Acrylics found in craft stores. Actually, Folk Art now has a 'Artist Pigment' series that is really nice.
The only thing I really recommend is using a real acrylic white, like from System 3 acrylics. White is a pain to paint without having to use a bunch of coats, using an actual artist's acrylic helps make it just a few less coats.

You aren't crazy. I do a lot of historical mini's so there isn't much call for Tentacle Pink paint and the like from GW. I use the Folk Art etc etc etc for all of my base coating. I do use GW's for more vibrant hues, shading etc and I really like their metallics and various flesh tones as a whole. The Vallejo paints that I have used are very nice as well.

The Folk Art and company may not cover quite so well on the first coat but you just can't beat the price and availability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philgamer wrote:
Nomadik wrote:

I'll third this. On the average of $1.50/bottle (Canadian dollars), I can't justify buying the expensive stuff as I really don't think it makes a lot of difference. (for my purposes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.