Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 6 player AOM game (still using improvised extra pieces since Eagle games was out of extra wooden cubes when we wanted to order!) with completely allied cultures - both players of a culture would combine their score for winning, and would total their number of buildings and units for determining which side has the largest army and most buildings.
First round got off to a typical start with everyone recruiting, except Egypt-1 who advanced straight to the next age, figuring no one would try to steal his almost all-desert provinces. The next few turns were fairly peaceful, with a minor skirmish or two and a lot of exploring and gathering. Norse-1 quickly grew in power, taking a lead on both buildings and military and built a great temple. She scored 4 points with the great temple. At this point she became too threatening, and Greece-1 launched an attack that, while damage on both side's army, succeeding in destroying 2 buildings including the great temple.
Egypt was also building a fairly impressive army, while poor Greece was third place in everything, almost tied with Egypt on buildings but still a few short from Greece. Both Egypt-1 and Norse-2 built great temples, but neither managed an immediate trade. The next turn, Egypt-1 did a gather all, not realizing how this would help Norse-2, who already had kept a full 8 of each resource from the previous turn. Norse-2 promptly traded and managed to score a whopping 7 points, leaving only two victory cubes in the pile! Egypt-1 could take those points on his next turn, but that would have ended the game with Egypt still behind. Norse-2 added insult to injury and did another trade (one of the other players gathered) for one more point, leaving only one cube. Greek-2 decided to put a stop to the nonsense, though a bit late, and attacked and managed to destroy the Norse temple and another building, but lost a good chunk of her army in the process.
Going into the last turn it looked like the Egyptians might just be able to pull off a win if they could keep the largest army and build a few more buildings to get ahead of the Norse. The Greeks were in bad shape - they needed around 10 units to get ahead of Egypt on army, and about 5 buildings to get ahead of the Norse. Egypt-1 was well set to recruit, but first launched a major attack against Norse-1 to get rid of some more buildings. He used the Sekhmet god power, which lets him attack with 8 while the defender only has 6. It looked to be a total disaster for the Norse - in fact, it looked like Egypt would be going UP on units as one mummy managed to produce another, and a lost phoenix was brought back. The Norse lost everything but their myth units, which the Pharoh was free to strike down. One by one they fell, until only a lone troll was left. Then, with a great roll of dice, the Troll gobbled down the Pharoh! The Priest stepped up to take vengeance - and was also destroyed! The Mummy was smashed to dust, the Scorpion Man splattered, and all but one of the Egyptian's mighty army was pounded flat by the super-troll! The Sphinx managed to defeat the Troll (the Troll probably fell asleep from eating too many other units), but it was heavily damaging to both sides.
In an attempt to take largest army from Egypt, Greek-2 launched an attack on Egypt-1 city, figuring he would have to defend to keep the chance of taking most buildings. She was right, and the Egyptians fought to the last, costing both sides dearly and leaving the victorious Greeks with only 2 units in her entire nation. Egypt lost the fight though.
Into the second round, victory looked assured for the Norse. Though battered, they still had a 2 building lead on everyone else and the mighty Egyptian armies had been badly mauled. Greek-1 gathered all, preparing to build as many units as he could. Then, on Greek-2's turn, she began intense resource counting, and played the Hera build card. She had just enough to build the bonus house from the god power, another house, and...the Wonder! The sudden surge of 3 buildings just put the Greeks in the lead for most buildings.
The Norse had 12 points from the Temples, Egypt got 6 for Largest Army, and the Greeks, with Buildings plus the Wonder plus 2 stray points from battles came up with...14 for the win!
This was a great tense end...nobody, even the Greeks expected them to come from behind and win the game. And the troll smashing the entire Egyptian army was a great battle, showing how much this game can turn around.
Age of Mythology continues to grow as one of favorite boardgames!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Hard to find?
StormKnight (#22881),

"Norse-2 promptly traded and managed to score a whopping 7 points, leaving only two victory cubes in the pile!"

This is one of those cases where an ambiguity in the rules resulted in an error. There are only 50 cubes of each resource available, so it would be impossible to buy 7 victory point cubes, since it would require 56 favor cubes.

My guess is that Norse-2 was interspersing trading with buying victory point cubes, which would be one interpretation of the description of the Great Temple.

The official interpretation, however, is that buying the victory points must be done after all trading is completed. You cannot trade 8 cubes for 8 favor, buy a victory point and put the favor back in the bank, trade 8 other resources for those same 8 favor, but a victory point, etc.

You can only trade for whatever favor is available in the bank when you play the trade card. Then, when you are done all trading you can use what favor you have to buy victory points.

http://eaglegames.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=3231&postid=22...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer (#22893),
Ya know, we have re-read the rules on trading and the Great Temple about 3 times to make sure you could, in fact, mix regular trading and trading for VPs, but the whole factor of their not being enough Favor cubes never even occured to us! We always just took a chunk of 8 resources and said, "Ok, that's a point". Thanks for pointing that out - that will make the Great Temples a little less devastating!

I noted two problems in my report...
First, early on I said:
Egypt was also building a fairly impressive army, while poor Greece was third place in everything, almost tied with Egypt on buildings but still a few short from Greece.
This should be:
Egypt was also building a fairly impressive army, while poor Greece was third place in everything, almost tied with Egypt on buildings but still a few short from the Norse.

Also, I realized the victory point totals I gave came out to 32, and I think there are only 30 VP cubes, so I didn't get the count quite right...Greece and Egypt may have each been 1 point shorter than I said, but the important part is that Greece was a mere point or two ahead of Norse, and Egypt was about half the score of the others!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the unlikely event that anyone cares, I just figured out that the reason my count had over 30 points is that we had not, until now, noticed that we had 32 red cubes. Apparently there were two extra. We just assumed there would be 30.
We might have noticed when the cubes weren't all exactly placed by turn on turn 10, but due to our Temple confusion we usually had quite a few points scored by temples and didn't expect it to come out right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.