BobbySoFamous .
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just finished the first case tonight. Got all but two minor questions wrong but some unexplained things from the case are still bothering me...

Why did Schulenberg and Zobar lie about their alibis? What is going on with Schulenberg and his "wife"? She refers to him as Herr and she never technically married him so what's with the charade?

And if they are spies, who are they spies for? Why would Schulenberg send his butler around to follow Freda if he doesn't care about her?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general statement, some things are discussed in some way in earlier cases that will be useful in later cases. The point is it is best to do the cases in time order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be honest and sensible.
badge
If am still here, it is only for the gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
The answers to you questions are available in the book and you could find them if you resumed your investigation. Generally speaking, secondary leads give you points only if they allow you to answer the secondary questions which are a kind of consolation prize for being lest quick than Holmes.

Hints:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

If you visit Zobar at home, on your way out you will get a clue which, combined with an unconventional use of the Directory, will lead you to the place where you can find out the exact reason for Zobar's lie.

As for the Count's wife, the victim is madly on love with her. Is she really in love with him? She is not Schulenberg's wife yet she is under his authority and she is always under the soldierly butler's surveillance and protection. Try and connect the dots, visiting some more places if you really need to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Neale
United Kingdom
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Johnson wrote:
As a general statement, some things are discussed in some way in earlier cases that will be useful in later cases. The point is it is best to do the cases in time order.

Could you give some examples of these connections, in a spoiler box? I have played all 10 cases in the original game through twice, and have never found any connections between them or any reason to play in order beyond the newspapers. I'd be interested to know what I've missed - I'm guessing the fact we often had at least a few weeks between cases may have meant subtle links passed us by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Johnson wrote:

Though that may be true, I am pretty sure that the munitions magnate is the first case. thus this does not answer the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BobbySoFamous .
msg tools
mbmbmb
gmilitaru wrote:

If you visit Zobar at home, on your way out you will get a clue which, combined with an unconventional use of the Directory, will lead you to the place where you can find out the exact reason for Zobar's lie.

As for the Count's wife, the victim is madly on love with her. Is she really in love with him? She is not Schulenberg's wife yet she is under his authority and she is always under the soldierly butler's surveillance and protection. Try and connect the dots, visiting some more places if you really need to.

Can you verify my conclusions?

I did find out about Zobar's affair but she didn't mention being with him at the time of the murder. I suppose you're just supposed to assume that's why he lied?

Regarding Freda, I visited Mycroft and the Bishop's Finger. Mycroft pointed out they're not married, which further evidence is she calls her "husband" 'Herr' when she thinks they're alone, but she was being followed by the butler at the inn. I still don't know what to make of it, am I missing something?

Edit: I also noted that Schulenberg's timeline was very suspicious. Using the time measurements I calculated that if he went to the crime location right after leaving the German Embassy (4:55pm I believe) he would have gotten there around 6:30, right around when the murder took place. Had he then gone straight to Hector's, he would get there around 8pm. Hector said that Schulenberg arrived at 8:30pm, so I assumed there was half an hour to hide the evidence or change or whatever.

Is this just an elaborate red herring? Why else give the specific times of his leaving and arrival?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be honest and sensible.
badge
If am still here, it is only for the gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspected you had actually got all the facts right, but I had to make sure. If I remember correctly (I played the case last year) you are right in your conclusions.

The issue is that you and Sherlock Holmes are not supposed to make a successful case in court. You only need to tell the Scotland Yard (or your client) where to look for the evidence to make such a case.

In this specific story, after you get the basic facts about the suspects you mentioned, you do not have a reason to look for a case against them. They are unlikely culprits, while the actual murder with his associations fulfils all the requirements.

(Sorry for the delayed replay. I was interrupted before I could to click "Send" and then I switched tabs and forgot to come back.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.