Subject: Continuous Initiative rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to come up with a natural continuous initiative system that could resolve issues with the fastest always coming first.

I think some caveats would be needed. For instance ambush enemies would always activate at the current init for the ambush activation only regardless of what their init value is.

init 5 Indian Scout moves onto the new map tile. Place facedown encounter token
init 4 lawman moves onto the new map tile
init 3, 2, 1 no actions
init 0 flip encounter token(hell pit).
roll for hold back the darkness
init resets to the highest init value on board(in this case the Indian Scout at 5)

init 5 Indian Scout tests his spirit(or whatever for the hell pit) and fails the test. Place enemies as per failed encounter(6 Stranglers)
init 4 Stranglers activate then the lawman activates.
init 0 no encounter tokens
roll for hold back the darkness

I think this could allow for a more natural sequence of events triggered by the actions of the figures at their init.
It never makes sense that the gunslinger could handle the winch over the lift, resulting in an encounter, and then being the first to attack while the other heroes are gazing off into space.

I would think this would prevent high init figures from getting too much action. Mostly though I like the idea of a natural fluid timing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried just rolling for initiative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes roll init for every hero and each group of enemies.
Normal Init plus a D6. This still takes into account the class base initiative (good or bad) but has some overlap where the lower init heroes can sometimes go ahead of the higher init heroes depending on the roll.

Doing this at the start of every turn tends to slow things down (maybe a bit too much - my kids didn't like the extra rolling)

A compromise might be to only roll initiative at the first round of the entire fight, or only when a new enemy group is put into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not so much of a suggestion for repairing the fault of some figures always going first, but rather to use a seamless system of initiative and timing. I never liked the idea that time essentially stops or resets in order to meet the demands of an encounter or the fact that a bunch of enemies just popped up. I've been perplexing over how to get a more "natural" feel to the adventure. One of the problems is that you can resolve all room encounters and then after that spawn the enemies.

I like the idea that operating the winch or knocking down the wall will require an action, and that like scavenging you can only do this on a room with no enemies. This is reinforced by the fact that some encounters as written do require you to use your action to knock down a wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.