Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matias Arjona
Chile
Santiago
Metropolitana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My week comes to an end, thanks to Gabriel Conlledo for his nomination and his invitation to do not stop in the boardgames hobbie, thanks for the questions was very funny.

This week the Geek of the Week will be Rodrigo Levin! I pass the torch of those who have been recognized in the larger community of board games in the world. Hail BGG!

Welcome to the Geek of the Week to:
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For those who don´t know, Rodrigo Levin and Jaime Colepardo do a great job of dissemination of our hobby in Latin America, founding few years ago a YouTube channel called DeMesa, which is evoked to create video news on games category table.

This newscast covers concisely and accurately lots of information about the future games, publishers news, new projects and dissemination of different activities in the worldwide. Obviously this news are in Spanish, and is one of the few (maybe the unique) boardgame latin media performing in this way. For Therefore, their contribution is essential and necessary, so I put in value this week, his ought example replicated even in other languages where board games are still unknown.

Thank you for your constant effort and move on!

Quote:
Rodrigo's wrote:

I don't understand why I was chosen, I mean, I can literally think of dozens of people that contribute to the board gaming community more than me. Thanks to Matias for the honor, I'll do my best to live up for the expectations, and first a little bit about myself:

My name is Rodrigo Levín, I was born in Mexico City, Mexico and have lived there all my life. Since I finished college I've been working at a private high school as an student counselor, also one of my daily activities is teaching classes in the social sciences field at different grades. My life as a board gamer started early, can recall spending time after classes, weekends and holidays playing classic games with my friends and cousins. Not having, or at least knowing of, specialized game stores near by in the late eighties and early nineties, we would play Turista (Mexican version of Monopoly), Risk, Guess Who?, chess, and all sorts of commercially available games. Then some friends introduced me to Magic The Gathering and role playing games, so we stopped playing board games and dedicated our time to that until one day a small gaming store opened near my house. They didn't carry a lot of games, mostly Magic and Warhammer, but one day in 95' they demoed Robo Rally, and my mind got blown.

It was love at first sight, I saved for months to get my copy. And boy did we played that game. Me and my friends would spent hours and hours just moving these little robots around the board. And then... I "grew up" I went to college, got a job and started having responsibilities, my free time shifted to other hobbies and so, no more time for Board Games.
Fast forward to 2012 or so. I met this colleague (Jaime) at work and one day he told me about how he used to spend time with his family playing games like Aquire and so, I told him about my Robo Rally, Risk and Monopoly days and we ended up having a gaming session. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to see if there were stores around that carried this kind of games, and I found not only that there were a few, but that the options of games had multiplied. I started purchasing one game every few months, our gaming sessions started to be closer together, but we lacked one thing: people to play with. It was hard to find people our age to play with us, at least as often as we liked to, so we decided that the board gaming community needed to expand and we would help by making YouTube videos about gaming. And so, our project called DeMesa was born.

A lot of new friends and a few years later, I can tell we made the right choice.

Poll: Which of the following is false?
Which of the following is false?
If I could play board games every single day I would do it.
If I could play video games every single day I would do it.
If I could play Futbol (soccer) every single day I would do it.
      65 answers
Poll created by Zerof

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerof wrote:
This week the Geek of the Week will be Rodrigo Levin! I pass the torch of those who have been recognized in the larger community of board games in the world. Hail BGG!

Wow!

Thanks for the honor!

I'll do my best to be a good Geek of the Week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Rodrigo!
Have a great week!

What was/is your favorite Chess opening when playing white?

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Doug!

I was never that into chess, to study opening moves. Me and my friends just liked playing, but never really had an strategy. soblue I usually start by moving the Bishop or the Knight, does that count?

As for a Wizard, I'll have to go with Gandalf. The Lord of the Rings trilogy was the first fantasy book I read back in the day and it opened my eyes to a whole new world of geekdom. There are plenty of games where he apears. But right now, if I had to choose a game about magic and wizards it would be Argent: The Consortium. I love that game, it's so hot with my friends right now. Even if doesn't have Gandalf...

Thanks again!

Rodrigo

chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Rodrigo!
Have a great week!

What was/is your favorite Chess opening when playing white?

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Rodrigo! Enjoy your week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, Jarek!

Svartisen wrote:
Congrats Rodrigo! Enjoy your week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Rodrigo, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Rodrigo!

Whats the best game you've ever only played once?

Whats the best game you've ever only played twice?

Whats the best game you've ever only played three times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nikola, I'll definitely will!

Bombadillo wrote:
Congratulations, Rodrigo, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Jerry!

I asume that you mean games that are not in my collection, right? So, I would have to say:

Recently I Played Gold West by TMG at a Meet Up. It was amazing, loved it so much that I wanted to play it again, but unfortunately there was no time. It became an instant want.

Definitely Above and Below. Loved the story telling part of it (might be biased because a friend is an actor and he did voices and everything when we played making it so much fun). The game is a friends so we'll be seeing this one hit the table often.

This has to be Barony, an excellent game that a friend bought a few weeks ago. We played it every other game session since, we all liked it. The only reason its not going into my collection is because my friend has it.

This probably will give you an idea of the games I like.

Rodrigo

Jrtolf wrote:
Congratulations, Rodrigo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
ThisisRodrigo wrote:
I assume that you mean games that are not in my collection, right?

Not necessarily. But that answer will do. Thanks!

And I've yet to play any of those three games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrtolf wrote:
And I've yet to play any of those three games.

Yeah, you should try them, specially Gold West. It is truly amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ketty
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Rodrigo!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 Since you specifically mentioned playing Risk, what happened in your favorite memory of playing?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 (h/t to borderline) And, what feature of BGG do you think is most important for new users?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArtEmiSa64 wrote:
Congrats Rodrigo!!

Thanks, Ketty!

It's truly an honor to be considered as part of this list. Specially knowing the people that was included before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, M_R

Thanks!

Lets see:

1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
I have a lot of respect for Wargamers, that passion and dedication is something truly amazing. I love seeing the battlefields, the armies and all the hard work that went into gaming. That is commitment, I myself are more of an Eurogamer.

2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
Not really. Once I bought a Warhammer Tank and a... flying motorcycle (I'm sorry, I know they have names, but I don't remember) not for play, but for painting them, because I liked putting together and painting scale models a long time ago. But that was the closest I got to war-gaming.

3 Since you specifically mentioned playing Risk, what happened in your favorite memory of playing?
Oh, man. This really brings some memories. We used to hang out at a friends house over the weekend and play Risk all night, just having a great time. No responsibilities (other than school), we just had a blast and play for hours teaming up to stop the leader. Good times.

4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
That one I first played with a friend, not sure but I think it was his dads. We saw it like leveling up, you know? For us it was like Risk but more complex. We liked it, but unfortunately the owner lived very far from the rest uf us and we couldn't play it often, so we kept playing Risk. Many years later I decided to purchase a copy and after a time, I got my hands on one... copy of Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge, which is a 2 player game. We didn't knew that there were more than one (we didn't do our research) so we didn't even noticed until it was too late. Because we were normally 4 or 5 it didn't got played that much. We never got to find the regular one. And when I found it I was already hooked into other games.

5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
Definitely Merkator. I'm a big Uwe fan and I don't understand why this game doesn't get the same appreciation as his other games. I understand is simpler, but man, its such a joy to play. Well, if you like Euro style games, because if not, can be seen as mostly pushing cubes from one place to another, which I love!

6 And, what feature of BGG do you think is most important for new users?
I first got hooked by BGG because of the forums on each game. The site can be scary at first, but if you get past that, theres where the most basic and useful information for a newcomer can be. They have answers for almost every question one can come up with. Also the reviews, video or written, are very helpful to decide if a game is for you or not. So those are the places I would point someone new first.

Hope I explained myself enough, but if you want me to get deeper into one topic, let me know.

Rodrigo

midnight_reaper wrote:
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......

I thank you for your time. thumbsup

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Rodrigo, enjoy your week as top Geek thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Frank, I will!

2d20 wrote:
Congrats Rodrigo, enjoy your week as top Geek thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
Hat-Trick goes online on Tabletopia. PM me if you want a learn, try or play it.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Rodrigo. Two questions:
1) why Real Madrid?
2) because of Hugo Sanchez?
Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Patryk, thanks!

Thats right!
When I was a kid and started watching football, Hugo Sanchez was playing in Real Madrid and everyone in the country was really proud of him, because he was the first one to succeed in such an important foreign club. He was a great forward, scoring amazing goals. He became my favorite player of all time and in the process I became a fan of Real Madrid and I've been since.

You like Futbol?

Thanks again,
Rodrigo

Hat Trick wrote:
Congratulations, Rodrigo. Two questions:
1) why Real Madrid?
2) because of Hugo Sanchez?
Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
Hat-Trick goes online on Tabletopia. PM me if you want a learn, try or play it.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThisisRodrigo wrote:
You like Futbol?

I LIVE football Check out my profile.
And Hugo Sanchez was my first favorite player ever! I loved him.
Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hat Trick wrote:
ThisisRodrigo wrote:
You like Futbol?

I LIVE football Check out my profile.
And Hugo Sanchez was my first favorite player ever! I loved him.
Have a great week!

Wow! Had not seen that game! Now I want to try it.
I see your love for football. Great to meet a fellow fan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Rodrigo. Enjoy your week and keep playing and demo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Vital!

Can't wait for my Vinhos Deluxe gets here!

newrev wrote:
Congratulations Rodrigo. Enjoy your week and keep playing and demo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations

You have a lot of games a 10, but if you had to pick 2 or 3 all time favorites. What wouldcthey be?

What sight close to home would you take a visitor that may not be in the grave books?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.