Popular Tags: [View All]
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
.... then colleges would be firing students. Then they wouldn't need to learn lessons like this one:

http://www.askamanager.org/2016/06/i-was-fired-from-my-inter...

Interns taking a petition to management. After all, isn't that what they REALLY learned in college?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
.... then colleges would be firing students. Then they wouldn't need to learn lessons like this one:

Interns taking a petition to management. After all, isn't that what they REALLY learned in college?

Well, honestly, it is what you learn as part of being an American. I suppose you could try and beat it out of them in college, but our nation is kinda founded on the idea of questioning authority and carving out your place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't surprise me at all that they got fired, but what they really needed was to get yelled out for being dumbasses. Learning to kiss ass (but not seem like it) is probably the most important career skill of all. Learning that corporations don't give a damn about them beyond what they can do for the business is pretty critical also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
GameCrossing wrote:

more people losing their jobs for refusing to succumb to political correctness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Well, honestly, it is what you learn as part of being an American. I suppose you could try and beat it out of them in college, but our nation is kinda founded on the idea of questioning authority and carving out your place.

It all goes back to the #1 thing that american schools are good at, instilling self confidence, or I should say, self importance. We are all just cogs in a giant machine and those who figure that out do well. Learn how to be a part of the machine rather than getting ran over by it. Or go live in the woods if you want, I don't care. Just don't whine to me about not getting paid very well if you spend your life standing in front of bulldozers instead of driving them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be a Career Services issue, not a classroom issue. I've had 5 kids graduate from college in the last 2+ years, and I my experience is that Career Services generally is not very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they expressed very valuable skill. The people who are most successful in the workforce are those who know how to negotiate. And here they negotiated. Sure they were let go, but who cares? Find a company that will meet your requirements.

This company sounds like they don't value their employee's opinions, and companies like that usually end up with subpar people. A recipe for failure.

I say kudo's to these kids for having that kind of initiative and forward thinking. If you think these kind of people were stupid and non-conforming, just remember, THESE are going to be the kids who will be your boss someday for exactly the risks they take.

The so called "real world" callers, yeah, that world is full people who are afraid of negotiation, and will always be underpaid, undervalued, and will probably go through layoffs that will devastate them in the future or at best end up in dead end careers.

Don't be that kind of chump, be like these kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

So if someone goes to college, then does something stupid, it's the colleges fault?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I think they expressed very valuable skill. The people who are most successful in the workforce are those who know how to negotiate. And here they negotiated. Sure they were let go, but who cares? Find a company that will meet your requirements.

This company sounds like they don't value their employee's opinions, and companies like that usually end up with subpar people. A recipe for failure.

I say kudo's to these kids for having that kind of initiative and forward thinking. If you think these kind of people were stupid and non-conforming, just remember, THESE are going to be the kids who will be your boss someday for exactly the risks they take.

The so called "real world" callers, yeah, that world is full people who are afraid of negotiation, and will always be underpaid, undervalued, and will probably go through layoffs that will devastate them in the future or at best end up in dead end careers.

That wasn't a "negotiation." That was a demand. And they didn't learn how. Maybe what they learned was that what passed as negotiation in college wasn't negotiation in the real world.

If they can find a place where their negotiation skills are useful and appreciated, then by all means let them work there. And then let me know the industry so I can set up a competitive company and profit from their inevitable failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

So if someone goes to college, then does something stupid, it's the colleges fault?

If they learned from their college experience to behave in a way that is incongruous with the real world, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
And then let me know the industry so I can set up a competitive company and profit from their inevitable failure.

The problem is, by the sounds of it, you'd probably never have the balls to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
And then let me know the industry so I can set up a competitive company and profit from their inevitable failure.

The problem is, by the sounds of it, you'd probably never have the balls to do so.

I had the balls to start my own business. The problem is I don't have the grind to see it through to the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

That wasn't a "negotiation." That was a demand. And they didn't learn how. Maybe what they learned was that what passed as negotiation in college wasn't negotiation in the real world.

Quote:
We decided to write a proposal stating why we should be allowed someone leeway under the dress code. We accompanied the proposal with a petition, signed by all of the interns (except for one who declined to sign it) and gave it to our managers to consider. Our proposal requested that we also be allowed to wear running shoes and non leather flats, as well as sandals (not flip-flops though) and other non-dress shoes that would fit under a more business casual dress code. It was mostly about the footwear, but we also incorporated a request that we not have to wear suits and/or blazers in favor of a more casual, but still professional dress code.

Maybe someone should look up the definition of a "demand".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
So they formed a collective bargaining unit, brought their request to management, and management promptly fired them all. And you guys think they're the dumbasses?

That's illegal work practices.

Do interns have the same protections as actual employees?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
So they formed a collective bargaining unit, brought their request to management, and management promptly fired them all. And you guys think they're the dumbasses?

Not really. To be overly dramatic, interns are basically the first world equivalent of slaves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

I had the balls to start my own business. The problem is I don't have the grind to see it through to the end.

Well, there are kids like this who make companies like Uber, and there are the chumps who drive for those kids.

I commend these kids, they seem to have the right idea, and the balls to make their workplace better and disrupt conventional and outdated thinking..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
AndrewRogue wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

Not really. To be overly dramatic, interns are basically the first world equivalent of slaves.

According to labor law, they absolutely have the right to collectively bargain without being victimized.

Likely. Sorry, I'm being tongue in cheek re: internships in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
The typical American mentality is that workers should be damned grateful that they have the opportunity to create a profit for their employers, and interns are three rungs below them.

It's just too true to be funny.

I am glad I don't work for such a company. Our company takes suggestions seriously, and we treat our interns as any other employee, and respect their ideas.

I am happy to include a local BGG'er's kid as one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Well, there are kids like this who make companies like Uber, and there are the chumps who drive for those kids.

I commend these kids, they seem to have the right idea, and the balls to make their workplace better and disrupt conventional and outdated thinking..

Cattiness does not become you. Is there a reason you seem to be taking this personally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Bull crap! They are interns, they deserved to be fired.

In most fields, interns are charity. Everyone takes time off from their busy schedule to try to find meaningful work these people who are only working in the office for 3-6 months. They usually don't have the knowledge to do anything complicated. Note: there are programs that have paths for interns to become employees and there are professional internships.

The interns are supposed to pay attention, keep quiet and learn. Their bosses were nice enough to take their valuable time to explain what the dress code was. Real employees, who are older, know when to dress more formally and are much more valuable to the company; are allowed some leeway. But the interns hadn't earned that right.

Then those interns had the audacity to ignore their boss's decision and make a big stink about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Are you that out of touch with new job seekers?

How much leverage do you think you would have as an intern right now?

A company can go find another crop of them waiting to take their spot no problem.

And we heard their after-action report from their point of view. We have no idea what their petition actually said.

If you want to take risks and negotiate your position, you don't do it from a position of weakness and a "hey we all signed this," you use what you have at your disposal, which is probably tact and reason.

It's a dress code. They argued that they should dress down. Does that sound reasonable to you? I don't care about their fucking sandals, and neither does their company. They got made that things weren't equal when they were already equitable but they were too chickenshit to ask the other person why they got to wear different shoes. Fuck them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
BFoy wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

If they learned from their college experience to behave in a way that is incongruous with the real world, yes.

You don't know where they got their ideas from. Just that they thought their petition was professionally written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
BFoy wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

You don't know where they got their ideas from. Just that they thought their petition was professionally written.

You're right. I don't know where they got their idea from. But more and more we are hearing of college petitions that are getting professors and deans FIRED. It's hard to not connect the dots and see that kids are making demands in college and think that they are so great, they'll just keep on demanding their way through life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:

Are you that out of touch with new job seekers?

How much leverage do you think you would have as an intern right now?

How out of touch, well, I've interviewed probably the 100th candidate this year. And we have yet to fill in all of our HIGHLY needed slots.

How important are good interns. Very important. Quality Interns are not easy to find, and quality interns turn into quality employee's. And we don't hire chumps.

SO I don't know, how out of touch are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

Cattiness does not become you. Is there a reason you seem to be taking this personally?

Because this conventional thinking is sooooo out of date in the market today. This is what I call entrenched career mentality. Toxic and degrading US industry by the moment.

I can just smell the stench of out of touch execs in big industry ticking away to the bottom, as smaller, younger disruptors take over their turf inch by inch. All looking at each other like "In my day interns got my coffee. They should be glad to even have a job, *bully bully bully*"

*vomit*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.