Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I went to the 8th summit site to check the status of my custom dice order for DotLS and to my surprise there is a link on the front page to a FAQ for the game. I didn't see it listed here, so I thought I'd post to let people know that have been waiting for it (like me).

Find it here: https://www.8thsummit.net/community/index.php?resources/defe...

BTW - I think you have to login to download

Quote:
FAQ V1.1
Components:
• The rulebook states there are 12 Radiation tokens, 15 Scavenge tokens, and 15 Karma tokens. The punchboard contains 11 Radiation tokens, 18 Scavenge, and 18 Karma tokens. Are the components on the punchboard wrong.
o No, we made changes to the tokens right up until the end and apparently missed changing them in the rulebook. The number of tokens provided in the game are correct.
• Stage card 4A and 4B are the same, is this correct?
o Yes. At one time there was a difference, but we changed the card to be the same on each side. In future scenarios we may replace this card with one that has a very different side B, but for now both side are the same.
Set-Up:
• When placing Leaders and the setup instructions are to bring the location the leader is being place on to 3 of their type of Raiders, what do you do if another Tribe is on that location?
o You leave the Raiders on the location as they are and add that Leader’s Raiders until 3 total Raiders (for clarification purposes in the rules, Monstosities are not considered to be Raiders, nor are Leaders) are on the Location. This instruction will not create an overrun.
Game Board:
• Can you Gamble with Raiders and Monstrosities in the Area?
o Yes you can.
• Are Location 34 and 36 adjacent for movement and overruns?
o No, these two locations meet at a corner – so they are not adjacent. The same is true for Location 10 Last Stop / Wishbone Pass and Location 17 Cacti Forest , as well as Location 9 Internet Needle and Location 14 Scrapyard.
• Can Rangers move freely past a Barrier token on Last Stand?
o Yes, they open a way for Rangers to pass.
Leaders:
• After a Leader is slain, do their Raiders stop spawning?
o No, Raiders will continue to spawn onto the board even if their Leader is slain. The Slayer of that Leader will have a bonus to defeat them as identified on the back of the Leader card.
• Can the Rangers attack a Leader if they have Raiders or Monstrosities on their Location?
o No. Unfortunately this rule was left out of the rulebook. In order to attack a Leader the location must have no Raiders or Monstrosities. This restriction is for direct attacking. When taking a Sabotage Action this is not required because Sabotage is not a direct attack.
• When losing cards before a battle with a Leader, whether it be to Puke or Krank, do the cards come from the Ranger’s entire hand, or just from the cards committed to battle.
o The cards are randomly lost from the cards the player has committed to the battle, so they will always be cards that provided dice against that Leader.
Ranger Attributes & Skills:
• Does Josuah's Air Attack ability enable him to attack 2 location at the same time?
o No, each attack of a location is a separate action
• Can Skill roll modifiers ever reduce a character to zero (0) dice?
o No, whether on an Adventure, Mission, Scavenging or Radiation Resistance testing, the Ranger always rolls a minimum of 1 die.
• Calendar’s Vision of the Future skill states it is active during Chant’s turn, is this mistake?
o Yes, this ability is active in Phase III of Calendar’s turn. The Word Chant should be replaced with Calendar.
• Does the Old Man have to spend an Action to use his Atomics skill?
o No. This skill requires no Action, but it does cost the player a card. It should be noted that Atomics, like any other skill, cannot be used against the Earthers.
• If Chant uses her Spirit Walker special ability on a radiation space, must she still perform a Radiation Resistance test?
o No, she is no longer in the physical world with the radiation.
• Does Rok N Roll’s the Killer Tunes Skill effect an adjacent space if there is a solid line between that space and the Ranger's space?
o Yes, his music floats through the air.
Artifacts:
• Can the Ancient Crown of Champions be used after the dice are rolled, and can it be used against Leaders?
o Yes it can be exhausted after the dice are rolled, and yes it can be used against Leaders.
• Can the Missile Launcher be used against the Earthers?
o Yes, it is not a skill or special card.
Mutations:
• The rules on page 26 state that 5 or more points of mutation cards cause the Ranger to become a Monstrosity, but the example at the top of the page states that if your total mutation value exceeds 5, your character turns into a monstrosity. Which is it?
o If a Ranger gains 5 or more Mutation points they become a Monstrosity.
Event cards:
• One Event states "Add 1 radiation token on or adjacent to a location with one or more radiation tokens". Shouldn't that read "Add 1 radiation token on or adjacent to a location with one or more radiation ICONS or SYMBOLS"?
o For radiation, the tokens and icons are considered the same. So this card would place a token on any location that has radiation in any form, icon on the board or token.
Adventure cards:
• One of the Tomic Plant Adventure cards instructs the player to search the Unique Artifact cards and take the Dynamite, but the Dynamite is in the Common Artifact Deck. Is this an error?
o Yes, the card should instruct the player to search the Common Artifact deck.
Other:
• On Cards, "Hard Road" is sometimes refered to as "High Road." These refer to the same location.
• On the Charcter card for Calender, we mistakenly refer to her as "Chant."

Now back to setting up my first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kept trying to register but didn't seem to work for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
I kept trying to register but didn't seem to work for me.

Me neither, I gave up a few weeks ago trying to get the beta rulebook. I don't understand why they have this kind of system in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope they post it over here or at least not require registration which seems about 1 step too many for a FAQ. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll post it when I get a chance. I guess I can always pull out down if they ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
Here's proof that they don't want you to know! It's a conspiracy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

FAQ V1.1

Components:

The rulebook states there are 12 Radiation tokens, 15 Scavenge tokens, and 15 Karma tokens. The punchboard contains 11 Radiation tokens, 18 Scavenge, and 18 Karma tokens. Are the components on the punchboard wrong.

No, we made changes to the tokens right up until the end and apparently missed changing them in the rulebook. The number of tokens provided in the game are correct.

Stage card 4A and 4B are the same, is this correct?

Yes. At one time there was a difference, but we changed the card to be the same on each side. In future scenarios we may replace this card with one that has a very different side B, but for now both side are the same.

Set-Up:

When placing Leaders and the setup instructions are to bring the location the leader is being place on to 3 of their type of Raiders, what do you do if another Tribe is on that location?

You leave the Raiders on the location as they are and add that Leader’s Raiders until 3 total Raiders (for clarification purposes in the rules, Monstosities are not considered to be Raiders, nor are Leaders) are on the Location. This instruction will not create an overrun.

Game Board:

Can you Gamble with Raiders and Monstrosities in the Area?

Yes you can.

Are Location 34 and 36 adjacent for movement and overruns?

No, these two locations meet at a corner – so they are not adjacent. The same is true for Location 10 Last Stop / Wishbone Pass and Location 17 Cacti Forest , as well as Location 9 Internet Needle and Location 14 Scrapyard.

Can Rangers move freely past a Barrier token on Last Stand?

Yes, they open a way for Rangers to pass.

Leaders:

After a Leader is slain, do their Raiders stop spawning?

No, Raiders will continue to spawn onto the board even if their Leader is slain. The Slayer of that Leader will have a bonus to defeat them as identified on the back of the Leader card.

Can the Rangers attack a Leader if they have Raiders or Monstrosities on their Location?

No. Unfortunately this rule was left out of the rulebook. In order to attack a Leader the location must have no Raiders or Monstrosities. This restriction is for direct attacking. When taking a Sabotage Action this is not required because Sabotage is not a direct attack.

When losing cards before a battle with a Leader, whether it be to Puke or Krank, do the cards come from the Ranger’s entire hand, or just from the cards committed to battle.

The cards are randomly lost from the cards the player has committed to the battle, so they will always be cards that provided dice against that Leader.

Ranger Attributes & Skills:

Does Josuah's Air Attack ability enable him to attack 2 location at the same time?

No, each attack of a location is a separate action

Can Skill roll modifiers ever reduce a character to zero (0) dice?

No, whether on an Adventure, Mission, Scavenging or Radiation Resistance testing, the Ranger always rolls a minimum of 1 die.

Calendar’s Vision of the Future skill states it is active during Chant’s turn, is this mistake?

Yes, this ability is active in Phase III of Calendar’s turn. The Word Chant should be replaced with Calendar.

Does the Old Man have to spend an Action to use his Atomics skill?

No. This skill requires no Action, but it does cost the player a card. It should be noted that Atomics, like any other skill, cannot be used against the Earthers.

If Chant uses her Spirit Walker special ability on a radiation space, must she still perform a Radiation Resistance test?

No, she is no longer in the physical world with the radiation.

Does Rok N Roll’s the Killer Tunes Skill effect an adjacent space if there is a solid line between that space and the Ranger's space?

Yes, his music floats through the air.

Artifacts:

Can the Ancient Crown of Champions be used after the dice are rolled, and can it be used against Leaders?

Yes it can be exhausted after the dice are rolled, and yes it can be used against Leaders.

Can the Missile Launcher be used against the Earthers?

Yes, it is not a skill or special card.

Mutations:

The rules on page 26 state that 5 or more points of mutation cards cause the Ranger to become a Monstrosity, but the example at the top of the page states that if your total mutation value exceeds 5, your character turns into a monstrosity. Which is it?

If a Ranger gains 5 or more Mutation points they become a Monstrosity.

Event cards:

One Event states "Add 1 radiation token on or adjacent to a location with one or more radiation tokens". Shouldn't that read "Add 1 radiation token on or adjacent to a location with one or more radiation ICONS or SYMBOLS"?

For radiation, the tokens and icons are considered the same. So this card would place a token on any location that has radiation in any form, icon on the board or token.

Adventure cards:

One of the Tomic Plant Adventure cards instructs the player to search the Unique Artifact cards and take the Dynamite, but the Dynamite is in the Common Artifact Deck. Is this an error?

Yes, the card should instruct the player to search the Common Artifact deck.

Other: On Cards, "Hard Road" is sometimes refered to as "High Road." These refer to the same location. On the Charcter card for Calender, we mistakenly refer to her as "Chant."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted the faq text in the op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deekerston schweddy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Can we have a FAQ regarding how to access the FAQ please? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deekerston schweddy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
The "what to do when your character dies from wounds" question was not answered in the FAQ, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deekerston wrote:
Can we have a FAQ regarding how to access the FAQ please? Thanks!
It is one of those "must be registered to download" deals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deekerston schweddy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
My attempt at humor....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deekerston schweddy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
FAQ should be posted here in the file section!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deekerston wrote:
FAQ should be posted here in the file section!

And either 8th Summit and/or Richard Launius will, as they have done in the past. Right now, 8th Summit & Richard Launius are probably getting ready to attend Dice Tower Gaming Con V.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQs are the property of the publishing company and I post based on their direction. At this point, the game has not even been released yet and 8th Summit decided to post only on their website. I suspect this will be posted here at some point, but I also understand many companies prefer to post on their website to drive traffic there and I think that is the goal here. In today's marketplace this makes sense. There will be an updated FAQ V1.2 sometime after Dicetowercon as I have been swamped and had to rush this one. So, a few more items to add.

Thanks,

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might also be in the approval queue, which sometimes takes nearly a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deekerston schweddy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Makes complete sense. Thanks Richard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:
FAQs are the property of the publishing company and I post based on their direction. At this point, the game has not even been released yet and 8th Summit decided to post only on their website. I suspect this will be posted here at some point, but I also understand many companies prefer to post on their website to drive traffic there and I think that is the goal here. In today's marketplace this makes sense. There will be an updated FAQ V1.2 sometime after Dicetowercon as I have been swamped and had to rush this one. So, a few more items to add.

Thanks,

Richard
This was my reason for not posting in the first place. Should I take it down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a FAQ should be dispersed as widely as possible. Locking it up behind an Account Requirement in today's marketplace makes no sense to me at all. Speaking for myself, I get tired of having to make many dozens of different accounts on all kinds of gaming sites. This is exactly why I love BGG so much, one account and just about everything gets posted here eventually. One stop shopping for information - maximize convenience.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Thunder. I don't mind visiting a corporate website, but I hate having to create an account just to download a FAQ or rulebook which I consider a core part of the game I purchased.

I suppose if users wanted to thwart the registration system they could create an account like "BGGUser" and share the password "Geekgold" with the community. Now I've created some more work for 8th Summit's web developer to code around this use case, providing another reason why self-hosting's a bad idea. This is in addition to all the poorly thought out passwords being used just to create throw-away accounts which increases the attack surface for hackers if there's any escalation of privilege bugs on the web site. gulp

Custom content - like those free bonus missions mentioned as forthcoming in the rulebook - are a much better way to drive website traffic. It's also easier to police with BGG admins as posting the free bonus missions (copyrighted material) is against BGG's terms of use. It also provides value to me as a consumer: okay I'll create an account to get something extra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you can just wait until it published by the publisher. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my preferences, but I'll adapt to whatever the publisher requires (it's their game after all.)

I just wanted to explore some of the drawbacks of the implementation being used. There's an underlying assumption that creating user accounts on 8th Summit's website has value and is being done by honest users.

There's some unintended user behavior behind every technical decision for a website that are worth considering. Is there another solution that could accomplish the same goal? If the only goal was to drive traffic to 8th Summit's site, is requiring account creation worthwhile? Is there a legitimate concern about malicious users linking to an easily downloaded file or are other factors in play, for example, collecting email addresses for future mailings about upcoming products and Kickstarters or digital watermarking files to prevent widespread distribution? What are the trade-offs for account creation? Is your system robust enough to handle one-use accounts with a weak password? Does it matter if most or all of your accounts provide invalid data like phony email addresses?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls