Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
victor araujo
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've kept on eye on Dust since it launched with FFG, never got into it. With the history of the game publisher/distributor changes and rules/version changes, It's a bit overwhelming trying to jump in now.

So what do I start with?
What is compatible?
I know they came out with revised cards at some point, are these the current cards for the "Dust 1947" Rules set?

Is a starter box required? Or can I technically just pick up a few boxes of the models I like and still play?
Are there restrictions to army building such as requiring certain unit types? (Example: need one command squad, only can field 1 elite or tanks per basic infantry.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan مروان
Canada
Metro Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Victor

This game is very easy to start with. It's recommended that you go with a start box as you'll get a balanced starting army, some terrain, map with a grid, and dice. But you can also pick units that you like, download the free rule book and scenarios, and get started.

You can use regular D6s to play, you don't need the actual game dice. If you do use regular D6s then you'll have to designate opposing numbers to match the faction, target, and shield symbols from the dice. I believe Dust Studios sells the dice separately on their site.

There has been two card revisions, one was for version 1, and the other was for version 2. The current rules for Dust 1947 will work with the version 2 cards. I have heard that Dust Studios is releasing new cards for Dust 1947 which will encompass all the units that were released in the past. Based on that, you can feel free to buy anything that you find without having to worry about it not being playable in the future. Dust Studios has promised that all previously available units will be playable in Dust 1947.

There are no specific army formations, so your army can consist of anything except duplicate heroes. Heroes are unique, and you're not allowed to field more than one in your army.

There are platoon formations that require specific units, and will give you special benefits or bonuses during game play. You can find all the different platoon formations in the Dust 1947 rule book. I personally would recommend grabbing a starter box as I enjoy getting the maps, terrain, and dice

If you live in the Metro Vancouver (BC, Canada) area then I would be more than happy to meet up with you to teach you how to play.

Also, this forum (for version 2) is the correct forum to use for getting help to your questions. You'll find that the forum for version 1 will have some individuals that have a massive hate on for anything other than version 1. They're nice guys, but you'll sometimes have a difficult time getting answers.

So stick around, and join in the fun

Shameless Plug: I have massive armies for all three factions, but I recently decided to let my Allies faction go. If you're interested message me, and I'll send you a link to what I have listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend another game. Dust was good a couple of years ago. Now it is not worth considering anymore. Look at their kickstarter or the facebook group you will understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amanwing wrote:
I recommend another game. Dust was good a coupe of years ago. not it is not worth considering anymore. Look at their kickstarter or the facebook group you will understand.

I disagree with this. It was good and is still good. The supply and distribution problems may be resolved (I've yet to see them in stores, but you can order online from the supplier). If you weren't in on the Kickstarter it has no impact on you and one of the companies involved in it is no longer involved in Dust. Yes, Dust Studios is still involved and they were part of the fault for the Kickstarter, but you aren't getting a Lord and Master who'll dictate what you must do, you are just buying toys from a store to play a game with that can't be taken away from you.

You'll never get the great value for money that the miniatures were back in the FFG days so it isn't fair to measure the game against then. You do need to compare it against other boutique miniature games in terms of cost. I have individual Guild Ball miniatures that cost in the AUS$20 range, and a single X-Wing small ship is in the order of $23 to $36 (and that game is huge and has volume of production savings). A single starter on their website is $65, which includes a light walker ($35), unit ($25) and hero ($15) - so they still have a good way of buying in (and the starter includes mats and dice, etc.)

The prices are still fair but maybe harder to justify if your already have boxes and boxes from back in the FFG days. I don't know the quality of the new infantry plastics but the vehicles are top-notch and were well underpriced before.

The main community complaint is about the changes to Line of Sight and Unit Leaders for free-form play of Dust 1947. If you only plan on playing on grid then go ahead, the game is designed perfectly for that mode. Free-form really only needs one or two minor changes for free-form to act as a really good tabletop game on paper (I haven't played with the new rules so I won't comment on how it plays).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan مروان
Canada
Metro Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EyeLost wrote:
The main community complaint is about the changes to Line of Sight and Unit Leaders for free-form play of Dust 1947.

I wouldn't call it "main community complaint", I would say it's a complaint from some people on FB. I'm not on FB, and I have no problem with these changes, and I consider myself a member of the Dust 1947 (aka: Dust Tactics) community. All my friends are pretty happy with the changes too.

I've put in six games this past week with the new rules, and they're great. I like the leader to leader line of sight (LOS) and range measurements. It makes for a fast and fun game without being bogged down with too many details, but I do agree that cover needs better wording to avoid vague scenarios.

I do agree with Lance on the value and availability of the game pieces.

I'm also one of the backers from their Kickstarter. It was a mess, but no one was left out in the cold. Everyone should be getting everything they ordered by the end of the year. I'm personally still missing a few units that are promised to be delivered in a few months.

The game is moving in a great direction, and the fact that we can all use free rules (online) to play with figures we bought several years ago (or now) is amazing.

I'm not a Paolo fanboy, and I do have problems with some of his business decision, but the game is great, fun and still has a long life in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls