Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Per aspera ad astra.
badge
I'm complately nermal.
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this over in general, but it didn't get much love. Hopefully it'll get a warmer reception here.

I have some of those wooden game organizers, and I really don't like the cost VS quality, so some friends and I started playing around, and made a custom insert out of high density foam & laminate for Small World. SO much better than that cheap plastic insert that came in the box It's also fantastic for traveling because the pieces don't rattle around.

The organizer is light, and sturdy, has no pieces to chip off, and no assembly required. Pull out the plastic, put in the foam, add pieces, done! We're going to make a couple more, since we all own a copy of Small World Next up will likely be a custom Ticket to Ride insert, and maybe a Carcassonne one.

We're going to redesign the coin storage and the race removal grooves in the next one (I have bigger hands than the person who got this one, and I dislike the way the coins are stored in this one).

Feedback? Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems cool, I wonder if the light-colored foam will pickup a dirty look over time, if so, perhaps a darker foam?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the look of it! Would something like this have room for the expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. You know someone will ask, so it might as well be me.... whistle
Is there room for you to include inserts for the SW expansion races and abilities?

Edit: ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! How do I get one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Per aspera ad astra.
badge
I'm complately nermal.
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't tried with the Underground expansion yet (I'm the only one in our group who owns it), but that's up next! Actually was just discussing that. I am fairly certain we could easily cut another space or two for some expansion races though.

The foam itself is pretty resistant to stains/smells/moisture; it's closed cell and pretty rigid. Lightweight too.

Going to try and get a couple more made shortly, if there's any interest, send me a GM and I can let you know a cost and when we have some (I'm guessing they'll be about $15-20 at most).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyril Peralta
msg tools
Hey I was wondering where you get the foam and what do you cut it with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Murukai wrote:
Hey I was wondering where you get the foam and what do you cut it with?

Yes I would also be interested in knowing this as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls