Subject: Defending Base - Why would you choose not to fight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Worcester
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I missed a rule but I am a little confused on the penalty when soldiers die. It is my understanding that when they are killed they go back to the reserve space on the middle of the board. At the end of the round they go back to this same space. The only detrimental effect to dying that I have seen is that elite soliders lose their elite status.

I was watching the BoardGameReplay video and they were having a debate as to whether to send 1 solider to battle the final enemy at the base in the resolution phase when the threat was at 5. I know the odds are not in your favor, but why would you choose not to battle the enemy in this scenario?

I also did not realize until that video that the enemies leave the base at the end of the round. Why is that not mentioned in the app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
You're mixing up the reserve with the supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
You missed a rule. "Dead" figures go to the space on the board while at the end of the round "alive" figures go back to their reserve cards.

This means "dead" figures can only be repurchased during the next resolution phase, so risking a soldier means you are "losing" a credit and will have one less soldier for the next round.

The app does specify that enemies are removed from the base.

EDIT: it is under "base" in the rules, step 4 of base resolution.
The "resolve base defense " step in the resolution phase links to it as well. Same rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the base damage thing is mentioned in the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Worcester
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh it sounds like I may have been playing things backwards. So the space on the board is the reserve - meaning they have to go from this space onto the cards before "entering play"? And then the main way to get ships and soldiers off this space and back onto the card is by spending the extra money in the resolution phase?

I guess I was making it much harder!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The space on the board is the supply.

The cards that say "reserve" on them are the reserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For all players, the "reserve" are the tarrot-sized cards on which you place your interceptors, scientists and satelites. The Squad leader has 4 reserve cards (standard-sized) on which to place each of the 4 soldier types.

Soldiers and interceptors can be placed from the reserve to the board. Surviving soldiers and interceptors go back to the reserve after each round.

The middle area on the board is the 'supply'. Soldiers and interceptors who die, go to the supply. Units in the supply do not cost you resources in the resolution phase. However, you cannot use units in the supply. If you have credits left over after paying for all your deployments, you can spend those credits to recruit units from the supply to the reserve (either soldiers or interceptors, each costing 1 credit). You can deploy those units the next round.

And yes, this makes it a lot more difficult than the way you have been playing it until now.

Hope this makes it clear. Good luck, commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate23VT wrote:
I also did not realize until that video that the enemies leave the base at the end of the round. Why is that not mentioned in the app?

There are a couple of easily-overlooked rules that come up in the Tutorial, but don't get brought up again unless you actually go check the rules. Enemies in the Base being discarded after damage is one of them.

Another is that when you update continent panic levels in the app, you should move all UFOs on panicked continents to orbit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not know about that panic rule... What is co sidered panic... The red or orange zones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
I did not know about that panic rule... What is co sidered panic... The red or orange zones?

Only the final (orange) bar is considered "panicked".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok that's what I thought. A lot of questions were cleared up while reading here the past little while. The only questions I have left really are some of these cards. Some of them seemed very useless last night while we were playing, but that was before I learned here that you don't pay for soldiers, satellites, scientists, etc. that you assign to cards for the use of abilities. In the past I thought these had to be paid for as well!

I'll go back and look at some of these cards again with this in mind. They should make a lot more sense now! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, for some reason I had figured the soldiers used for the Skyranger were to be paid (pay 2 to fix 1 crisis)... the mechanics are not that complex but the fact there are few examples on how some situations develop make you crack your head sometimes. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls