Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy playing wargames quite a bit. However, I prefer games that involve more than two players more. I also very rarely get the chance to play two player games, a good problem to have I'd say.

I'm looking for some game recommendations for multiplayer wargames. Here's what I'm looking for right now:
- best with 3 or more, 4 would be best
- average play time of less than 4 hours, 2-3 hours would be best
- I am fine with either team or free-for-all games
- historical, I own some scifi and fantasy games with wargame elements but I'm looking for a historical game right now
- easy to find, no out of print or very small print run games, I need to be able to get it in Sweden at a reasonable price

Here are some of the multiplayer wargames that I have tried and that I enjoy:
Quartermaster General(a very different breed of wargame)
1775: Rebellion(very light, but still enjoyable)
Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar(I have yet to play this, but I've read the rules and I know that I will enjoy it)
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Operation Barbarossa 1941 (second edition)(I've not tried the multiplayer rules, but I like it quite a bit)

I like wargames with simple rules but in-depth strategy. Stuff like:
Hammer of the Scots
Twilight Struggle/1989: Dawn of Freedom

I've been checking out different sources, like Multiplayer Wargames and Need a replacement game for Axis and Allies (5 or 6 players), but I find it hard to decide.

Feel free to recommend anything, even if it breaks any of the requirements, just let me know which ones they do not fulfill.

Thank you very much for help! Hopefully we can get a good conversation going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Genesis: Empires and Kingdoms of the Ancient Middle East; it has several scenarios of varying length; lots of Bergian flavor, but not overly complex. Been around long enough that it may have made it to Sweden; still in stock at GMT also.

Herr Dr did a good write up last year:

Some Bronze Age Friday Nite Hittite Fun: 1st MN Gives Berg's Genesis a Whirl: July 31, 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 of us played this to death in the 90s...brilliant game...meets all your requirements...

Britannia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
Scotland
Kintore
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quartermaster General is a great light wargame and easily playable in 3 hours or so. If you like that you might consider 1944: Race to the Rhine which is a three player game.

The Memoir '44: Breakthrough maps can be played with multiple players a side - again it's a fairly light wargame. Wings of War/Glory is very enjoyable with a couple of players per side or Sails of Glory if a naval game would be preferable, however both could entail some expense if you want the miniatures. Britannia or History of the World are also both good.

Friedrich is good for 4 players while Maria uses much the same system and is for 3 players.

If you like card driven games then the following would be options, but they might not be playable in 3-4 hours - it might depend how quickly you play

Sword of Rome
The Napoleonic Wars
Kutuzov
Wellington
Clash of Monarchs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gasha1 wrote:
4 of us played this to death in the 90s...brilliant game...meets all your requirements...

Britannia

Italia is a similar system but has a complete 3 player scenario and a different, distinct 4 player scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle for Germany

Good for 2,3,or 4 players.

A classic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Maria, if you have 3, Friedrich if you have four.

Simple mechanics, with deep strategy required and a clever combat system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Napoleonic Wars. 2-5 players, fun card driven system. Easy to learn, harder to master, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Smith
Germany
flag msg tools
Angola

This one breaks some of your rules but is too good not to be mentioned.

- It was reprinted some time ago and may or may not be available in sweden. In Germany there definitely is a copy (bravenewworld, great and reliable store)
- Its best with 4 players. A bit assymetrical and with two "teams" (whose team members dont like each other much either )
- Playing time is around 10hours +/- but again very worth it.

Its historical with four angolan civil war factions. Very thematic. Bit complicated rules sometimes but doable. (managed a game day after reading through and a lot of checking but on first try playable with four players of whom only I had read the rules)

Great fun. I spent one or two years wondering if I should buy it or not because I usually have less than four players. However, all who played want to play again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of Empires (Martin Wallace) is a broad brush game of the European/Colonial struggles of the 18th Century. Its certainly no simulation, but great on the theme of the period. Lots would quibble with the title "wargame" (it combines lite armed conflict with lite civ/development - and has a great system for the balance-of-power alliances of the period), but it fits your needs pretty perfectly. Playable for 3 to 7. Best at 4-7.
A gem in my top 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lamb
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played War of the Roses with 4 and really enjoyed it. Would have liked it more if there were some dice but it is a really well-balanced, tense game with strategic decisions, chance, and intrigue. It was a first play for everyone and it took about 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of Paradise is excellent, so is Angola (although it can be played with less, it's really meant to be 4 player), Medieval is also pretty good.

On the lighter end of the spectrum, I really enjoy The Kaiser's Pirates and Pacific Typhoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
andytaylor wrote:
Quartermaster General is a great light wargame and easily playable in 3 hours or so. If you like that you might consider 1944: Race to the Rhine which is a three player game.

The Memoir '44: Breakthrough maps can be played with multiple players a side - again it's a fairly light wargame. Wings of War/Glory is very enjoyable with a couple of players per side or Sails of Glory if a naval game would be preferable, however both could entail some expense if you want the miniatures. Britannia or History of the World are also both good.

Friedrich is good for 4 players while Maria uses much the same system and is for 3 players.

If you like card driven games then the following would be options, but they might not be playable in 3-4 hours - it might depend how quickly you play

Sword of Rome
The Napoleonic Wars
Kutuzov
Wellington
Clash of Monarchs

You've listed some really good multiplayer wargames here, particularly the card driven ones and Friedrich / Maria. The only problem from the OP's perspective is that most card driven multiplayer wargames are not quick. They're certainly not in the 2-3 hour range and usually not even playable in under 4 hours, unless you know the game well and don't spend too much time thinking about your moves. The only one of the card driven wargames that I've played that comes in under 4 hours for a normal game is Wellington. Clash of Monarchs is fantastic, but easily takes more than 4 hours to complete a single game year and many others tend to run into anywhere from 45 minutes per turn, to 2 or more hours.

Some others to consider (although they don't average at under 4 hours playtime) are:

The God Kings: Warfare at the Dawn of Civilization, 1500 – 1260BC
The Campaigns of King David
Here I Stand
Medieval Conspiracy
Successors (third edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up picking up Sails of Glory and Maria for now.

Thank you very much to everyone for the replies, I'll be keeping an eye out for all the games mentioned here, in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quicker playing wargames on the lighter side suitable for 3+ are requested all the time around here.

I hope designers and game companies take note.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lower
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I love a game of Up Front. Thanks WV!
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I enjoy Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #5 – Epic Ancients II. With the game boards placed together and all of the troops lined up it feels, well, epic! Ha ha!

Being a wing commander is great fun as you are handed order cards and wonder, "What did my commander want for me to do with that?" We spend almost as much time after each game analyzing our respective strategies, die rolls, misinterpreted orders, courageous charges, and determining the tipping point of the battle.

It doesn't take long to play and it's a lot of fun! New players quickly grasp the rules and are working on the tactics in no time.

- Jeff
SquadPainter Blog - C&C Epic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Miller
United States
West Jefferson
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up Leviathans with the expansions from ebay and amazon. All out print now still
in shrink wrap. Don't know if I'll ever play them but I was afraid I might want to and not have the opportunity. So better safe than sorry I say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
callme DESDINOVA
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
Quicker playing wargames on the lighter side suitable for 3+ are requested all the time around here.

I hope designers and game companies take note.
I agree. This might save me money.
I need my multiplayer wargames to last at least 3 hours in order to feel satisfied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd recommend about anything in the pic above: simple - bottom left, rich/deep/complex upper right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly it seems that Virgin Queen was overlooked, although its precursor, Here I Stand, is there. Both fine efforts for excellent multiplayer enjoyment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They Come Unseen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Soldier Kings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not out yet, but Cataclysm: A Second World War is on the P500 list for GMT. It's definitely a step up from Quartermaster General, but I have been playtesting it and found it very accessible. Definitely looking forward to playing it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Two years late to the party, but Time of Crisis: The Roman Empire in Turmoil, 235-284 AD hits all your requirements perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Two years late to the party, but Time of Crisis: The Roman Empire in Turmoil, 235-284 AD hits all your requirements perfectly.

Nonsense! There is no such thing as too late.

Time of Crisis: The Roman Empire in Turmoil, 235-284 AD is one of the games I am most eager to get right now. Unfortunately, moving to Stockholm left me with even fewer wargaming people around me, somehow.

The idea still deeply intrigues me, perhaps even more so than when I originally asked for the recommendations. I check out potential multiplayer games monthly, even though I have no realistic prospects of playing them as of right now. So, your suggestion is still greatly appreciated.

I have played Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar in the meantime and I really enjoy it, but it hit just before the move, so now I just get to look at it longingly on my shelf.

Maria proved to be a big hit for me, very glad to have made that pick first.

I have also purchased Here I Stand (500th Anniversary Reprint Edition), but it faces even more unlikely prospects. I am sure I'm going to enjoy it greatly if I manage to play it with people who are good at negotiating and keep the game going at a reasonable pace.

Hopefully I will get to overcome the current predicament and I'll keep on enjoying many of the multiplayer games suggested here and the ones to come too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |