6 Posts

Rick and Morty: Total Rickall Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Playing New characters and only 2x characters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you only play one character card per round?
I did a couple of test games and it's really easy to run out of parasite characters on the playing field and it's easy for players to just kill the ones coming out.

The rulebook says to have twice as many characters in the play area as players. It seems like it's better to just have a 3x3 grid of 9 characters to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like that's the rule.

I'd almost say if you kill a character, add it to the center. How detrimental is it to the game if they are continuing to flow, other than having to remember more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hillean wrote:

I'd almost say if you kill a character, add it to the center. How detrimental is it to the game if they are continuing to flow, other than having to remember more?

I could see more being a problem but if there are 4 on the board and everyone knows that 3 of them are real, it's kinda boring. The advanced rules will probably help a lot, but the basic game is too simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
Hillean wrote:

I could see more being a problem but if there are 4 on the board and everyone knows that 3 of them are real, it's kinda boring. The advanced rules will probably help a lot, but the basic game is too simple.

I thought advanced is basically totally different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason M
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played last night, and nearly ran out of parasite cards as well, but I wouldn't change anything about the flow. It's detrimental to the theme, and I'd personally house rule it that if you run out of parasite cards, you lose. You've become overwhelmed by parasites. Seems more in line with the theme, and other games use a similar mechanism for limited resources (in Pandemic if you run out of a colour of cube, you lose because the disease is out of control).

@John:
And if there are 4 cards in the table, and everyone knows three of them are real, then that should increase tension, not boredom. That means there's only one parasite (or an unknown) preventing you from winning. It's urgent that someone get a card to reveal or shoot that character asap, while you still have the most information you could possibly have, but oh no! Everyone has cards of the wrong colour! And while you're wasting time trying to get the right cards, more unknown variables are entering the field!

I don't know, I think it's very well put together, and makes me feel like I'm playing the episode that got me into Rick & Morty. I certainly would never do anything to prevent new characters from appearing each round, and/or when a Real is killed.

@Lee:
Haven't played the Advanced game, yet, but it isn't an entirely different animal. It only adds secret player identities that change whether or not you're likely to lie when you look at a card in the middle of the table. I wonder if it's actually less interesting than previously thought, because if you look at a couple cards and lie about anything, it's not unlikely that someone else might end up double-checking, or killing the Real you said was a Parasite, and now you're easily revealed as a traitor. If you could stay a traitor, in secret, for the whole game, it would be appealing. But unlike other hidden traitor games, you have a limited resource to manipulate nefariously, and it's far too easy to find out if someone is lying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran out of parasite cards? If you run out of parasite cards (and not playing advanced mode) and everyone in the center is real, you win! That's the ending of the game--you need to wipe out all of the parasites by the end of the game, when the last card is laid out and you finish the final round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls