Popular Tags: [View All]
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I recently bought one of these to use at work. It works pretty well, but the problem is that it has an internal speaker that beeps all the time. I work in a room full of cubicles where a constant stream of beeps would be unacceptable, not to mention the fact that it would drive me crazy. The manufacturer claims that the firmware has settings which allow you to silence the speaker, but it still inexplicably beeps even though I have turned the speaker settings to off. So, the only other thing I could think of was to open the thing up and disconnect the speaker, which brings me to my question. Which one of these doodads is the speaker? And for bonus credit, how can I remove or disable it without damaging the rest of the device?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
It might be the black thingy on the top right. I have a tiny speaker for my mobo that looks similar to it.

Edit: Yep, this pic even has the plus symbol on it.

There's always support too... "Send us questions and comments: support@handheldsci.com. We love to hear from you!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tickmanfan wrote:
It might be the black thingy on the top right. I have a tiny speaker for my mobo that looks similar to it.

Edit: Yep, this pic even has the plus symbol on it.
Cool. My computer's motherboard doesn't have a speaker, so I wasn't familiar with what they look like even though I just recently built my own computer.

tickmanfan wrote:
There's always support too... "Send us questions and comments: support@handheldsci.com. We love to hear from you!"
I just sent them an email. We'll see what they say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yup, that's a little piezo buzzer. As for removing it, what's on the board directly underneath it? Ideally you'd just heat up two solder pads (corresponding to the two wires in tickman's pic) and pop it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff's handy 4th of July Speaker Remover:

Try that - I'm sure it'll remove the speaker. Maybe a few other items, too, but hey, you can't have everything...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Pugnax555 wrote:
Yup, that's a little piezo buzzer. As for removing it, what's on the board directly underneath it? Ideally you'd just heat up two solder pads (corresponding to the two wires in tickman's pic) and pop it off.
Yeah, I see the two pads. But I don't have a soldering iron. Maybe time to get one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can see the leads at the bottom of the speaker on the top side of the board, you could always just clip one of the two leads with very small wire cutters.

If you never want to use the speaker again, you can just grab the black thing and rock it back and forth until the leads break. Shouldn't damage the component board; but is a fairly caveman'ish way to do it. But would work in absence of tools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
You could even tape over or fill the piezzo hole with hot glue to lessen the noise.

As an extreme removal technique you could crack it open with molegrips or whatever tool you can find, then snip back to the tracks.

The only thing that's holding it into the PCB are two through hole legs. A 5 second job with a soldering iron (and experience).

You could also use a Dremel, or scratch away the tracks to break the + _ connections on the SMT side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
Pugnax555 wrote:
Yeah, I see the two pads. But I don't have a soldering iron. Maybe time to get one.
You would also want a de-soldering braid, which is some braided copper wire that you lay between the solder and heat to soak up the solder. There is also a desoldering iron that comes with a rubber air bulb to blow the melted solder away. You have to be very careful and not mess up all the other solder points on the board. I would do this:

gar0u wrote:
If you never want to use the speaker again, you can just grab the black thing and rock it back and forth until the leads break. Shouldn't damage the component board; but is a fairly caveman'ish way to do it. But would work in absence of tools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
zombiegod wrote:
You could even tape over or fill the piezzo hole with hot glue to lessen the noise.

Seeing as how the OP doesn't have a soldering iron, filling the buzzer with a dab of hot glue is probably the next best choice (and really simple to do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Not helpful, but I had to post this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:

You would also want a de-soldering braid, which is some braided copper wire that you lay between the solder and heat to soak up the solder. There is also a desoldering iron that comes with a rubber air bulb to blow the melted solder away. You have to be very careful and not mess up all the other solder points on the board. I would do this:

De-Solder Braid is possibly the most useless piece of kit I've ever used in PCB manufacturing. You need to get every micron of solder out to free a component.

The best way is to add even more solder to flood it out, preferably leaded solder, which has a lower melting point. With the extra solder in liquid form, achieved by moving the iron tip constantly over both component legs, work the component out at the same time. Easy for a pro, but to the unskilled, it feels like you need four hands

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was able to carefully remove the speaker with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Success!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls