Andrew Gaia
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hello All!

My name is Andrew Gaia and I am a nationally published illustrator that has worked with many of the biggest names in tabletop gaming and entertainment. You can see some of my work below or on my site (just google Andrew Gaia).

I was searching around the forum for my own game design needs and questions, when I began thinking of how to pay BGG back for all the information you all have shared and offered. Most of my questions are already answered by people with game design experience that far outweighs my own, so how could I give back without leading people down the wrong path?

Well, over the last year I have been in contact with numerous designers, many of whom struggle with visual development. When it struck me, the best way for me to give back would be to offer what I know best, for those who have done the very same for me/us. Now, I don't claim to be the best artist in the world, but I do have countless hours directing, designing, critiquing, and reworking that I want to offer anyone that is interested.

The Point

If you are a game designer with some uncertainty about your game aesthetics, then I would like to help. Simply post some of your illustrations, graphic design, maps, advertising or concepts along with what question you have to this thread.

Then, depending on the situation, I will utilize my abilities/knowledge for your visual gain with critiques, paint-overs and whatever else might help. I will take time out as often as I can to answer every post on this thread and will be delighted to do so.

I hope that this will help those reluctant about the visual side of game development to bridge the gaps in their progress. That way we all get more games and have more fun creating them. I don't care if all you have is scribbles, most of my work starts as scribbles too. I look forward to seeing what you have and welcome anyone who needs help. Thank you so much again BGG!

• [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

Andrew, thank you for this! I’m a very long lurker, first time poster. I was signing up to make a WIP thread and ask for help but then I saw your post!

I am making a Card game with 2 friends, and we are at the stage where I am working on the graphic design. I’d LOVE to have your input on where I am now. I am an illustrator/concept designer, and I was not prepared for how difficult this part was going to be.

This is for a dungeon-building card game. We are trying to hit a Dark Victorian, Horror, Penny Dreadful, Roman Catacomb feeling. The character cards are going to be double poker size (3.5x5’’ approx) to be big and fun and easy to see everything. Our goal was to make a beautiful game and try and really push the artistic feel and aesthetic.

I wanted badly to try moving the text to the side so that we did not have to create our art in tiny little boxes at the top half of the cards. We can still do that. It feels a little strange on the characters, but they only have a line of text. The rest of the cards, Monsters, Items, etc, lay down on the board so the text orientation is not a problem, imho. It’s always going to be wrong side facing for everybody but one once it’s on the table.

My first questions are:

1. Is the vertical orientation of the text a bad mistake?

2. Are the ones with the text boxes, “C” and “D”, easier to read than “A” and “B”?

3. To clarify, are the text boxes necessary, or does simply keeping light text on dark background enough?

4. There are 2 different borders, “A” and “B”. Which is stronger, and why? This will set the style for the rest of the game’s cards.

5. Is it possible to get foil stamping on the face of the cards? I’d love to have shining gold replace all of the yellow border and text.

6. Font has been a struggle, I have tried many. I think I am getting close to choosing this one here, Octant. https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/catharsis-fonts/octant/ Thoughts and feelings?

7. The art is a WIP, but do you have any feedback? (the sword blade will be exposing from the scabbard next pass)

8. I am certain I am not asking everything I could, or forgetting quite a bit- this is my first time, lol, please feel free to comment on as much as you like and speak to as many points as move you!

I am going to also post this in a WIP thread to start a blog here and get more eyes on the work. Thank you very much for your time and help!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gaia
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Owen,
Thank you for taking the time to put together the package for me to go over. It makes all the difference in the world when someone like yourself puts together such a clear idea of what they want and need. So, allow me to reciprocate and lets dive right in.

1. I think you have the right idea with your player cards. For one you will have uniformity between all of your cards, so everyone will know immediately what way they all read. Then, like you stated, you want the artwork to be a focus, and putting the words to the side opens up a good deal of space. So I say stay true to your original train of though on type position.

2/3. Let me first say that the light text on the dark background is enough to read the information. But, I am leaning towards c and d. The lighter color of the text box draws the eyes into that brighter value, which then makes you follow up to the vital information found in the stat circle. So the vital info comes right at you.

4. I like the style of B more. Their is more variation in the line work that makes it look more appealing, it also has a nice balance between dark and elegant without being as busy as a.

But I would increase the size of the top right stat circle, their is a lot of valuable space over there not being used. Plus with the bigger circle you have more variation in sizes (small fist, medium character, large circle) adding more visual interest.

5. Short answer...yes. But here is a post by John Wrot at gate keeper games all about different components that has helped me a million times over. Foil info at the bottom, but basically you can get anything you want as long as your willing to pay for it. http://www.gatekeepergaming.com/article-11-demystifying-game...

6. I like it, I originally thought it might fall apart at smaller sizes, but it actually its quite easy to read, even with the smaller text.

7. As far as the character art is concerned, I like it overall. I might think about playing with the highlights on the collar, shoulder pad (i forget what they are called) and helmet because they are a little blown out right now. See how the arms have very specific highlights indicating the reflective nature of the armor. That is a bit lost as we hit the key areas, resulting in a flatter appearance. Just hit it with some darker values as it rolls away from us and that should handle it real quick. And bounce a little light onto his beard from the collar.

I would also try fading the sword away rather then have it going off the side of the card. Keep the eyes circling the card.

But you have some real nice color harmony going on that pulls him perfectly into the setting (card), and thats the hard part.

Last note, I think I would soften the red crosses design on the top left. Its a little to sharp and draws a bit of attention when it should be serving to support the character. Just handling it the way you did the others would be perfect.

But it looks great and you are well on your way, that's for sure. I hope that the extra opinions and eyes will help you out. If anything else comes to mind just let me know. And thanks for being the first to take me up on the offer, made my day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Andrew, that was an excellent critique, thank you for it! Nothing like that feeling. I will apply your points and repost as soon as it's done.

If layout is not too boring I'll put a couple more, with a couple more questions, in a bit. Saturday is my next work day.

Thank you again for your time and consideration!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace McDermott
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi. If you have time, I'd love you to cast your eyes over these.

I'm not the graphic designer for these - I hired someone to do it, but I'm pretty happy with them.

The game is kind of a "Netrunner for Dummies" hacking game - meant to be lightweight, a kind of hacking filler game between the longer games on a game night.

This is the basic card layout - this will be the default layout for the Action card, for example.

And this is the "mana" token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gaia
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Grace,
Thank you for taking the time to post your images for review.

First, the art: Your artist did a great job on the card, there's not much to go over as the piece looks finished. I would consider knocking that bright blue light down just a bit, or just shrinking it. The brightest light always draws the eyes. But even then, the piece is very well done.

Graphic Design: Again your designer did a good job. Its simple yet visually appealing enough to hit that sweet spot that we want. I would play around with the numbers 8 and 123. The font works, but I would test out a little glow or maybe a slight bright outline to give some variety to the text. That way your graphic design would sync up with any of the "tech" lighting you will most likely have within the illustrations. It will also help to separate the text elements without overwhelming the well done design.

The mana token: The overall design is working. The outer ring and the background are well made and it looks very sharp. As far as the light in the center, imagine it in two parts. The center shape emanating the light and then the glow around it. I would knock the glow/fuzz white down just a bit. It would help to show the interesting light shape, and will enable the subtle background to give some nice depth to the token.

But your artists did a great job and its working quite well as is. I would be happy with those results at well. Thanks again for posting your images and let me know if their is anything else you would like me to check out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gaia
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Owen Matthew wrote:
Andrew, that was an excellent critique, thank you for it! Nothing like that feeling. I will apply your points and repost as soon as it's done.

If layout is not too boring I'll put a couple more, with a couple more questions, in a bit. Saturday is my next work day.

Thank you again for your time and consideration!

I am glad it gave you some insight. Definitely post the updates when you have them, and I would be delighted to review again. Besk of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bishop
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer

Hi Andrew, thank you for offering your time.

I have a thread asking for direction here if you find the time to check it out.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1605167/feedback-and-direct...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gaia
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hey Daniel,
I see you got back to me on your other thread. Just let me know when you start to put together your personal design and I will do my best to help you out. Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex S
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a generous offer! Personally I wouldn't say no to some graphic design critique. I have several things I could show you but, maybe this would be a good start:

This is a sample of a 5.5" X 11" Character Sheet

-The colored small circles in the upper right corner or the character's base stats.
-The medium circles are spots for equipment to go on (equipment will be chipboard circles of the same size.
-The larger circles on the bottom are levels, with the xp circles inside them denoting how much xp you need to gain that level. The attributes and abilities you get for leveling up cover those circles just like equipment.
-The blank space in the center is for a character image which I imagine being the style where the character is standing in a generic background, specifically the background the card already has.

Thanks!

-Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gaia
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
keirion wrote:

Alex,
Thank you for posting up your work, honestly I am enjoying this (hopefully) as much as all of your are. So thanks for keeping it going .

Ok let me take a crack at it. But because I am not sure of your chitboard circle colors and styles, I just worked with some possibilities that you can match to your other designs.

First thing is the text of divine healing could be moved to the right a little bit, right now it is hitting that border which makes it feel cramped. Also the base stats can move down a tiny bit as well. Other than that the placement/arrangement seems good.

Their are a couple things I think you could do to improve the overall visual appeal. First, is the font needs to be brighter so that it can be read more easily. The dark on dark is just to much of a visual challenge. I also removed the description fonts for the equipment and added in little icons instead again for ease of read and some visual contrast. Second, is that everything is blue and mostly dark blue. Their might be some purpose to that, but I just started throwing various lighter colors onto the circles to get you started thinking of the possibilities. You could even just use a wider spectrum of blues if the cards are color coded.

In addition, the character "name" banner should pop out at us. The size is good, it just needs to grab us right away. So I made it the brightest element, final color would be up to you. Then when you place the image down it would be nice to have some sort of border to add some interest as well.

It is a little simplistic, which is fine, but their should be something on there that makes people want to look and give it a unique feel. The icons offer an opportunity that would help visual interest as well as the frame and banner around the character.

I know I threw a lot of ideas and options at you for this one. But I trust it will at least spark some ideas. In the end it is about making it read quickly as avoid stopping the flow of the game. By adding some variation (whether you add more colors or just a wider spectrmm of blue values, add icons in contrast to all words and then some flair in contrast to the simplistic circles) you start to hint at visual ques that let the brain know inherently that these things are "different" and can be grouped as such. I know the paint-over is a bit sloppy but it should show some possible directions you might want to approach, the actual final decisions are up to you .

Have a good one and thanks again for the kind words. Hope that helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex S
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew,

Thank you so much! This is great feedback! Honestly, one of the most difficult things I've found in game designing as a whole is struggle it can be to get feedback from others.

Quite frankly, this is the first game I've done that's come out of brainstorming into a fully functional prototype that has real potential to become a fun board game and I'm finding that my own personal process includes (demands?) working the graphic design into the game design elements... which has caused this to became my first major graphic design project as well, which I've been loving but I know there's tons to learn and improve at.

I'm definitely going to implement your feedback and take another pass at it. I'm not sure if I'll get there before gencon (I have a few other components I'm trying to work out early pass design on and get printed out between now and then and I still have to do work where I get paid too) but I'll definitely be hitting you up with a next pass shortly after gencon at least.

So about the blue: I currently have each character color coded with these sheets and their unique equipment/abilities matching that color. One aspect of the game is a sense of modularity so when you play with Celerity as one of the heroes, her unique equipment is added to the cup to draw rewards from, but when she's not in the game it's not there, and I felt that color coding made it easier to sort, and have a sense of equipment 'belonging' to certain heroes.

The equipment/abilities/attributes currently are in a much earlier state of design. Here's a photo of a (different hero) character sheet with a possible set of items on them (everything being in cardstock currently):

I'm really liking your example of creating a unique icon for each type of equipment. That could very effectively work into the equipment tokens themselves too!

I'm trying to give the feel of the equipment being empty slots that are then filled in the same way that rpg video games tend to do on character panels. My initial thought had been that if the spots on the sheet were more faded it would lean towards that feeling, but I can definitely see what you mean about it being visually distracting to be less clear like it is. Do you have any thoughts on how I could give that feeling while still having the board pop?

I also really like the effect of the banner being changed away from the hero color to more of a brown like you have in your mock-up. I'm going to have to work with that!

Once again, thank you so much. It makes me excited to work on this more!

I have a few other components in a similar stage that I'd love to get your feedback on but I definitely don't want to be presumptive of your generosity or distract from others who might benefit from this seminar type environment that you're offering... maybe I'll ask for more feedback after I make progress on this piece?

-Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gaia
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Alex,
I am glad that the thoughts I had are giving you some sparks to work with. Coming from a visual design background, I can totally relate with you wanting to pair the design with specific game play attributes (in fact the game I am working on now is dependent on that).

So some solutions.....you could take the actual background and lighten it a bit, so the circles look almost like darkened indented spaces for the equipment. Then for the font and icons you could use an even brighter blue (then the base) to pull it off, but not too much as to distract from your original vision. Subtle but clear, ya know? So the card would be value 0, the circles would be -1 and the font +1. You could also further emphasize the single color interest by utilizing different versions of blue....warm and cool blues (one more like a dark navy blue and the other a warmer sea blue). Just some thoughts though. Then you don't lose your color organization but you get the visual interest.

But I am happy this is helping you with your progression. If you have other materials you want me to look over, go right ahead and send them my way. I think seeing the activity is better then letting it sit around with no one asking for help. If anyone wants to hop in then they can and will. I enjoy doing this, so the more the better .

Best of luck and I will keep my eyes peeled for more progress. Keep up the solid work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

Andrew, I am super sorry I could not get the time to apply your critique earlier. Life, paid jobs, and everything else have gotten in the way of my project, here. Please excuse that!

Here is the newest iteration, all updated. I think I hit every one of your points. On top of what you suggested I also messed around allot with the background to give more punch to the lighter areas, and try to force some recession of the figure into the back, and pop him out in some places.

I am working with a group of two other gents, the whole text on the side thing is proving to be a very hard thing for one of them to accept, while the other is fine with it. This is causing me to doubt myself... Its never easy...

Thank you very much for your time, Sir! Its appreciated! If you feel like looking at another one I'll put one up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gaia
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Owen,
Not to worry, we all tend to have a million things going on at once. And I certainly take no offence to the order at which you have to work or the number of taken directions. I do not have an intimate knowledge of your game, intent, or team, so feel free to discard, modify or alter any of the tips I am offering. I am just here to help, not to place any added pressure (as I am well aware that their is plenty of that in game design already ).

Anyway, I really like what you did with the background. Especially how you managed to subtly wrap it around the character, making it feel like he is coming out of some mist and into our view, nicely done.

I did a quick paintover to see how some of my thoughts might look visually, feel free to play with the ideas. First I moved top skull into the middle and increased the size of the circle to take up some of that empty space and provide a bit more emphasis to the numbers(and added some more frills to bind it to the your design). Then on just a whim, I thought to make the key icons a slightly lighter value. Now, I am not quite digging how bright I made them, but it does show you how adjusting the values of those icons makes it much easier to read that information. So you might want to consider adjusting those key elements to add a bit of depth to the graphic design and pull the vital information out from the decoration.

Other than that, it is coming along beautifully. Oh... I also just through a vertical option for the character description. Again, just something thrown out there to give you guys something to look at and discuss.

But feel free to post more up here as I am happy to aid in your development. Have a good one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Andrew, you are awesome, thank you for your time, Sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Andrew, here is my next up. I worked him today, I needed him uploaded to my group so I hit him before I could apply your critique on the knight... A few questions, please:

1. I have posted two poses, I went with the sword across the body (it allows me to push the figure further left to free up space for text). Which is stronger in your opinion, please? Why?

2. I have begun background treatment. I'm leaning towards the grey scale instead of the red tint... Which do you feel is stronger? Is this getting too busy in general, and detracting from the pirate?

3. Finally, doe this fit aesthetically with the Papal Knight, above, that you have been working with me? These "feel" like they belong to the same game/group? I am nervous I started to over-render this guy...

4. Anything else you see that I do not? Any thoughts or reactions?

As always , thank you very much for your time, Sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gaia
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Owen,
As always, it is my pleasure to help out. So lets jump right into this next one.

1. I agree with the decision to move the sword across the body. Being able to punch him a little more to the side, adds a some composition tension and the "x" inline with his body also keeps the focus within the character and does not lead the eye off the page. It also contrasts the knight who has his weapon fading off the page, adding more variation and thus more interest to the collection as a whole. Wise choice.

2. This is a trickier question because the answer depends more on your intended focus and the cards traits. Meaning both are good, but how important is that color. If you take out the red in the BG then the eye naturally focuses on the red of the character. However his "team colors", if you will look grey. But if you add the red to the BG, his colors look reddish orange. But I have no idea if that's important at all for the project. By itself, I would go with the grey, only because the tint takes away from the pop of the character. Also, have you tried turning the smoke of the gun lighter, to be more apparant. It might look odd, but if it works then it would help draw us to the gun, a unique feature of this character, and would tie him to the white and grey BG as well. Just a thought.

3. I would say he looks a little more rendered but only slightly. The result is actually positive in my eyes. It makes him look a little less "real" and more undead, ethereal or whatever. But its very slight, so I would keep him as is for the most part. Although, he looks like he needs a few value adjustments. The smoke idea I tossed around earlier might work. But I tossed some lighter values on a paint over, just to give you some ideas. Basically I hit all metal (gun, sword, buttons, necklace) with some spot highlights. Then I added some lighter values on the strap across his chest and his jacket, to reflect the location of the light and pull his upper body toward the viewer. I also took a soft light layer and added a very small amount of warm light to the same area. Just some simple things to play with quickly. But all in all I think it works.

4. I added comments as I went , as you can see, only very subtle changes overall.

Hope that helps, have a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Andrew, awesome, awesome, awesome! Thank you! I'll have this done up as soon as possible. I will throw one more up tonight or tomorrow, getting ready for a teaser post on our Facebook page, similar questions to this guy. I am grateful for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

Andrew,

I'm working on the Pirate changes you gave me yesterday, right now. This guy is a Gunslinger. He is another character, and just needs to "fit" with the others we have been looking at here. I think I am starting to narrow down the important pieces. If you have any comments for the art I'd love to here how to make it stronger. I'm starting to feel like I'm "getting it" but that is a dangerous place to be for me, if you know what I mean. Thank you, Sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gaia
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Owen,
I would say you have a nice flow going on and are doing a good job of hitting the mark. I really did not have to do anything to critique this one, but I went in and adjusted anyway, just to see if I could pop it a bit more. Honestly it seems like all you need to do for the last two submitted, is take one pass at hitting the light on the areas of central focus. I added a bit of light to his shadow side cheek and his chin (to give a bit more form to his face, then I added a few lights to his jacket, mainly on his left arm (to pull it out from the background). Then I took another soft layer and added a bit of warm light to mostly his top half (his center and left, more specifically). That way we can see what way the light is coming from and it helps to add a bit of depth to him.

But when you step back, you can see it is really only slight changes, as you have it hitting strong already. Hope that helps and thanks again for sharing with me your work and progress. This sort of art discussion and direction usually goes on behind the scenes and I know it would have helped me to see it when I was first starting out. But have a good one, and I look forward to the next piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Menegon
msg tools
Hi!

I'm working on a line of really ornate dice that are portraits of fantasy characters. I worked on this logo for a while and did it all in Illustrator so it's scale-able. I wanted it to really jump off the shelf and get people's attention.

Your 2 cents?
Thanks!
DOM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Andrew, Thanks for waiting, its been a long week again... I'm on it 100% though. Here is the revisions for the Gunslinger you helped me with. I was shocked by how much more depth you got in the face with such a small adjustment... That is the kind of stuff you NEED another artist to help with. THANK YOU!

You're right about those behind-doors conversations, they really help, and I'm glad I'm getting some now, even if its open-door!

... Off to finish he pirate next before I upload anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gaia
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
dmenegon wrote:

Thanks!
DOM

Dom,
Sorry for bit of a delay in getting back to you, but I can get to your logo now. But first I want to say that I went and checked out your dice project and love what you are doing. Its really cool to see people utilizing current available resources for some sweet gaming. And the designs on those dice are awesome, I will connect with you further for sure to keep tabs on your progress.

But back to the logo. You have the right idea if you are looking for some pop. The cool purples behind the warm lettering hits some nice contrast to help draw in the eyes.

I would suggest moving the lettering down just one or two notches (shrinking if needed, but only verrrry slightly) because the top of the "n" almost touches the blue tear above it. This creates a tangent that distracts from the rest of the beautifully done piece.

Then I would consider removing some of the tears in the scroll. At first I thought they were a spike pattern. It adds to the overall effect of the logo, but with so many it is pulling from the lettering and cluttering it up a bit. Even having more on the top left and bottom right, then fewer on the top right and bottom left. It might give it a more natural look while holding on to balance. But, just play around with it, but less might be more in this situation.

Then finally, try out some slightly darker values for the outline around the whole piece and the shadows under the lettering. Under the lettering being more important for that pop you are looking for. It will create not only the most contrast in color, which you handled beautifully, but it will then pull the letters out with high contrasting values. Then matching it with the entire outline should help the whole piece stay cohesive. Just give it a quick test and see which works for you. But it should help make it pop.

Its a great design and all the work is already done, simple play around with some of those ideas and see if they help it pop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gaia
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Owen,
Glad I could help, as you can see I have been a bit swamped myself. But its all back in gear now. I absolutely know what you are talking about when it comes to those tiny paintovers making huge differences. I remember watching live streams where pro's were critiquing other artists works. And with a few strokes the piece would go from a 7 to 10. Of course, they always give credit to the original artist for laying in all the foundation work, as I do for you as well. Just coming at it with some fresh eyes helps a ton. Sargent (if you know the artist) has one of the fastest looking styles, but he actually got up from his paintings between every stroke to analyze and refresh his mind. Many digital artists these days use the flip canvas shortkeys for the same effect, while others use a mirror for traditional paintings. Its all about seeing it fresh.

Anyway, I am just rambling now. I look forward to seeing the next leaps in progress, and am glad I could be of service. Have a good one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.