Subject: PvP variant : looking to discuss a few ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastien Meilleur
Canada
Sainte-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am planning a game of PvP with ZBP. 3 survivors against 3 survivors. Survivors drawn randomly.

I was thinking of a 2 x 5 board made to be pretty balanced with equal numbers of Spawns and objectives on each side. Also same amount of rooms and pretty much same sizes of room too. Maybe towers in the middle.

I think the best objective would be to eliminate the other team. I thought of reaching a center objective quickly but this would be just a race with no experience gain and such.

After some quick thinking I don't see any big issues with such a game. Do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
You could have a center objective that is locked with equal amount of red X's spread on the board. Find the key(green X), open the center chamber, then have to take the center prize (Blue X) to opposing sides base. For fun, if you find just a regular red X, roll a die, create 6 separate traps that can possibly trigger by collecting a red X.
E.G- Spawn an abomination, double spawn in the zone your in, single spawn, necromancer spawns on the board, lose a turn, take a wound, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I like the idea of using the objective markers somehow. You could place one key in each half of the board and require the players to find it. The key could provide access to the vault. The goal could be to get in to the vault, recover the item and exit from your own board edge. This would mean a rush to find the keys, but also give the team which loses that the chance to intercept the other team as they try to exit. You would probably want to do something to prevent them ignoring the keys and just trying to massacre each other directly, for instance putting spawn points in the centre.

You could steal an idea from Dungeon Twister and give each team four objective markers including one coloured key which they place anywhere they like on the other team's side. This means each team will be trying to second guess the other. "Did they put the key in the most difficult place or did they assume we would think that and put it in the easier but further away place?"

Another possibility would be to allow each team to place a new zombie spawn point or activate an existing one every time they get an objective. The would mean the faster they went the harder things would get for the opponents. Do we spend more time searching for upgrades or do we grab the objectives asap and try to overwhelm the enemy team? This would also mean that as the game went on the chances of both teams getting overwhelmed would increase a lot. The downside would be the effort required to move all the zeds around would increase too.

I'm quite interested in trying team v team Zombicide so I'd love to know how this works out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
msg tools
I thought about using PvP but not so much players attacking each other, but more along the lines of two teams of three competing against each other.

Maybe have several objectives face down. One blue and one green. Each team has to find their respective objective. Any red objectives are collected by the finder. Once you find your team's color objective, the red objectives collectef are turned in to that point. After collecting all your necessary red objectives, you go to the exit.

It ends up being a race to get the objectives, but also using LoS and noise to divert zombies from your team to the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Heisenbrain
Germany
M√ľnchen
Bayern
flag msg tools
I am the one who mods!
badge
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally dislike the idea of outright killing each other, mostly because its so much down to luck. If you get a good hitting (3+) str 2 weapon, two hits are enough to kill another survivor. Maybe all can start by default with the 4+ chain mail armor?

Themewise i prefer a spirit of egoism in the zombie apocalypse than a straight up deathmatch. You would have your group of fellow survivors gathering the best stuff and food for yourselves, maybe screwing the other guys by letting a Necromancer escape / preventing LoS and Noise, so they get trapped etc.

Again, i played Z:S3 "competitive" with the possibility to kill each other: it was a short game, some early deaths and then the zombies overrun the remaining survivors, bc you can't stand a zombie horde made for 12 survivors as two 2-3 people groups.

For a more "race-like" variant Frekke wrote some interesting looking ideas up:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1600265/not-so-cooperative-...

edit: unnecessary html removed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Meilleur
Canada
Sainte-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
Thanks for all your ideas and replies.

Indeed it is obvious that a PvP variant would be totally unbalanced and quite challenging but it's really just for the fun of it. I played ZBP very often with my wife's son and I was thinking that it could be fun to try that.

Yes a survivor will die quickly against a Str3 weapon but I think balancing your moves to be the one with the advantage (whoever moves in first on the other will surely win) and avoiding zombies at the same time will be a nice challenge.

I'll look at your ideas. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls