Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta say, I do love my Trailblazer:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-01/americans-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyICE wrote:
To the surprise of no one, the love ebbs and flows based on gas prices.

Gotta say I hate the stupid things though.

Where I live I sadly don't have any good other options.

My Honda Fit lasted a year driving up/down the canyon before it met a rock that re-arranged its underneath. SUVs provide a good mix of interior travel comfort and load carrying toughness.

YMMV of course.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
In practice what is going on is that the sedan is dying, and getting replaced by the crossover. It's still, for the most part, a car platform, but in this specific view of the market, those are called light trucks, even though you can't either offroad or carry anything that resembles load wit them: They are just sedans you sit higher up on, maintaining the fuel economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Lyft. Parking in this city is a nightmare. Owning a van in this town would be a horror beyond my comprehension.

The next car I'm looking at is a Fiat Abarth. Some power and completely adorbs. I'm probably going to hold off until I move out of this part of town or parking opens up in my complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
In practice what is going on is that the sedan is dying, and getting replaced by the crossover. It's still, for the most part, a car platform, but in this specific view of the market, those are called light trucks, even though you can't either offroad or carry anything that resembles load wit them: They are just sedans you sit higher up on, maintaining the fuel economy.
More like station wagons with more ground clearance than sedans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
i ride my bicycle - preferably after midnight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:

Damn immigrants. GO BACK TO SWEDEN, WHERE YOU WERE BJORN!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I wish renting a pickup was more reasonable. It would be entirely nonsensical to own one given the fuel difference, but I would enjoy using one every, say once every 4 months or so to haul something large.

I don't know how rental vehicles are regulated, but I've really never seen an older one, and I'd love to rent an old pickup without paying a bucketload without having to do so privately.

Anyway, yeah, the majority of Americans really don't need to own a truck, so it's confusing that people associate it with status. But hey, I don't really understand fancy rims either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
single sentences wrote:

C'mon, he's still Bjorn in America.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I need a truck. This and hunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyICE wrote:
Hey, if you're using an SUV to drive over shitty terrain or a pickup truck/van because you're a contractor I've got no problem. That's what they're meant to do. Pick the right vehicle for the job.

It's when I see some guy commuting to work at the office in the morning driving a sparkling fresh-paint Ford that could make a contractor's life a thousand times easier, and the bed sparkles like it was recently waxed, and he climbs out to go sit in front of a computer for 9 hours? Good god. Buy a pill off the internet, it's cheaper and has the same effect.

Heh.....you certainly have an interesting perspective, I'll say that.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
GreyICE wrote:
Hey, if you're using an SUV to drive over shitty terrain or a pickup truck/van because you're a contractor I've got no problem. That's what they're meant to do. Pick the right vehicle for the job.

It's when I see some guy commuting to work at the office in the morning driving a sparkling fresh-paint Ford that could make a contractor's life a thousand times easier, and the bed sparkles like it was recently waxed, and he climbs out to go sit in front of a computer for 9 hours? Good god. Buy a pill off the internet, it's cheaper and has the same effect.
Heh.....you certainly have an interesting perspective, I'll say that.
That's pretty much the case in Southern California, and I expect NorCal, too.

Vans went out decades ago. Minivans are unpopular, despite being able to hold a lot. Commercial vans have switched to the bigger and cheaper to run Ford Transits and sometimes Mercedes Sprinters(?).

Pickups are pretty much all commercial, unless you have a big hobby like jet skiing or pulling a fifth wheel trailer.

Small sedans are pretty popular still. And small coupes: Prii are the single most popular brand.

Otherwise, it's various size station wagons, labelled as SUVs, crossovers, etc., pretty much recreating station wagons and early compact cars, sedans minus trunk. Few, mostly Subarus, are actually 4WD.

Well, and then there's a pretty big segment of exotics: convertibles, sportscars, sport sedans, serious performance cars like Teslas, Porsches, WRXs, and down to a lot of Miatas.

Mostly, it's Asian and Germans brands. Ford and GM do pretty well. Italian and British brands aren't popular because many vacation destinations, like Vegas, are across serious deserts: you need a car that's dead reliable, or you're reliably dead--in danger, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
This is why I need a truck. This and hunting.

Sweet, where do you run? My dad and I used to run street stock, then he did limited late model at Lincoln Park in Putnamville, IN). No better racing than dirt short track!

We used a van for most of the time to haul ours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss Colt Vista/Mitsu Chariot. How has no one brought these back yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an urban cyclist. My life depends on my ability to stay aware of the situation around me. For that reason, I really dislike SUVs and big pickups. They're too tall to see over, and I've almost been killed twice by another vehicle that suddenly shoots out around one when I had no idea they were there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:

Sweet, where do you run? My dad and I used to run street stock, then he did limited late model at Lincoln Park in Putnamville, IN). No better racing than dirt short track!

We used a van for most of the time to haul ours.

I'm not running just yet. I am hoping to run weekly at West Liberty, IA and Dubuque, IA. Possibly also Farley, IA. Right now I am helping a friend with his Legends car that we are running at Hawkeye Downs in Cedar Rapids, IA along with some special dirt events at Davenport, IA, Darlington, WI, Donnellson, IA, Dubuque, IA, Farley, IA, Maquoketa, IA, and possibly Beaver Dam, WI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Personally, I wish renting a pickup was more reasonable. It would be entirely nonsensical to own one given the fuel difference, but I would enjoy using one every, say once every 4 months or so to haul something large.

I don't know how rental vehicles are regulated, but I've really never seen an older one, and I'd love to rent an old pickup without paying a bucketload without having to do so privately.

Anyway, yeah, the majority of Americans really don't need to own a truck, so it's confusing that people associate it with status. But hey, I don't really understand fancy rims either.

You can get them at Home Depot by the hour for about $18. My Brother in Law got one this morning for an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
single sentences wrote:

C'mon, he's still Bjorn in America.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best commuting vehicle I have ever used by far and wide.

I get to work about 5 minutes faster then I would in a car (35 minute commute versus 40 or so), never have to worry about traffic jams or any delays, do not have to mess about with parking, and burn 4000 extra calories a week on top of actually arriving refreshed and energetic.
Oh yes, and it costs me about $200 a year to operate and maintain

EDIT:
Before anyone asks... yes I've been out on it well past midnight on many an occasion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge