Popular Tags: [View All]
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you score "1 point for each stone that is visible from above" (just like the A-side) *in addition* to the printed bonus (which in 3 of the 5 spots is a choice of one of two things) or does the stone on top only get the bonus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
only the bonus of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actaion wrote:
only the bonus of course

"Of course"? From where do you draw your conclusion? It seems logical that you cannot have a "bonus" without having a base to go with it. If you don't have a base scoring amount, then any supposed "bonus" is not actually a bonus at all, it is just normal scoring or turn resolution for that side. I think you do your normal Temple End Of Round scoring (as described on page 5, upper right) and then follow the difference (regarding "various bonuses") described on page 9, lower right.

I wonder if we can get the designer
Phil Walker-Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

... to set us straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:
actaion wrote:
only the bonus of course

"Of course"? From where do you draw your conclusion?

I wonder if we can get the designer
Phil Walker-Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

... to set us straight.

From the rules and from the temple tableau, no need to call the designer.
On each board there is written on it what you get there.
The rules description for the b-temple is not 100% clear, I grant you that, but the example below makes it clear. A look at the b-side temple board also. And also would do some logical thinking, as the scoring you proposed would make the temple ridicolously overpowered, the b-side is already much stronger than a A-side the way it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ridiculously overpowered, or more hotly contested?

The example below the rules description does NOT make it clear. The first sentence says "The point assessment for the temple is performed at the end of the round." If you only count the bonuses, many of the bonuses you can choose are not even points. I think the designer is describing the B-side exception (the addition of bonuses), not that the base scoring no longer applies. If the column owner only got what was printed above/below the space (as in side-B), then why would side-A not also have a 1 above/below its spaces? I contend that it doesn't because both sides score the same way. You just get more stuff with side-B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you are free to play the game whatever way you like.

But you asked what the official way is, I told you what the answer is and tried to explain why. Now you can do with that information whatever you're up to. But I see no point in continuing discussing if you obviously don't wanna hear/believe the truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to figure out how you are able to say that your explanation is the "official" way (or what "the" answer is). You responded with "an" answer, and for that I am appreciative. Unless you have some inside knowledge of what the designer's intent is/was, I submit that your explanation is, at best, just your best guess. You may well be correct, but unless we get an answer/explanation from the designer, we will simply just not know for certain

I obviously do want to know the truth. And once I hear it, then I will believe it. That was the whole point of my asking my question. Do you see no validity in the points I've raised?

Thank you,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched this video and he explains the optional B side rules @52:00 if you wanna take a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5uoch1b2Ak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Walker-Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the B-side temple scoring replaces the A-side scoring, its bonuses are not additional to the A-side.
Sorry if the rules are a bit unclear on that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil81 wrote:
Yes the B-side temple scoring replaces the A-side scoring, its bonuses are not additional to the A-side.
Sorry if the rules are a bit unclear on that point.

Thanks Phil. Maybe I missed something else from the rules, but what are the b-side bonuses bonus to exactly? Or maybe I just have a different notion of what "bonus" means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Walker-Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't write the final wordings for the rules but I assume the word "bonus" was chosen because you are getting something extra or more special compared to the A-side scoring. Either 2 points, or the choice or 2 stones, or the card (which is in many cases worth more than 1 point). They are not bonus to anything else you are actually earning. It's funny, I usually think of the word "bonus" more generically as a reward anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fung
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Love playing tile games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil81 wrote:
I didn't write the final wordings for the rules but I assume the word "bonus" was chosen because you are getting something extra or more special compared to the A-side scoring. Either 2 points, or the choice or 2 stones, or the card (which is in many cases worth more than 1 point). They are not bonus to anything else you are actually earning. It's funny, I usually think of the word "bonus" more generically as a reward anyway!

If you look at the B side tile, the text in the red box should be absent then, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qasic wrote:

If you look at the B side tile, the text in the red box should be absent then, right?

Yeah, there really is no bonus, so the text should just be ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls