BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Home Rules - Permissions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David David
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi All!

Hopefully this is the correct place to ask this.

Like most of us, our play group have home rules for some of our games.

And I've seen fellow BGGers post some of their own (which is awesome).

But I've also seen some other posters stating that they received permission from the game developer/publisher before doing so.

So my question is this - if I've made a handful of home rules to a specific game and wish to post them here as an 'alternate' rulebook document, do I need permission from the game developer/publisher first?

Thanks!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a lawyer, but if the rules are all your own writing, I don't think so. If you're modifying the standard rules, then you need their permission since you're publishing a new version of their rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your house rules are fine. Post them as "Variant" or post a file. (But don't say "This is official blah, blah, blah...")

Collectively we post "When we play ABC, we allow the blue squares this special ability..." all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I would say it depends on the volume of work involved in your house rules, and how much of it is repeated or referenced from the core rules.

Generally, I don't think you need permission from anyone. Particularly if you're just posting your additions/changes, and anyone reading it would still need to own the game to make any use of them.

I once wrote up a system for converting Descent 1E quests to be playable using Descent 2E rules, and I sought permission from FFG before posting that because it was a significant chunk of material that sort of did and sort of didn't reproduce the first edition material. (I specifically avoided reproducing any rules, maps or stats, but heavily referenced sections of the 1E rulebooks by page #/section title.)

FFG asked to see my work, and later granted permission for me to post it. If your house rules are something like that, you should probably seek permission. Otherwise, I expect you don't need to (although you could do it anyway if it makes you feel better. No harm in asking, right?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David David
Australia
flag msg tools
Thank you Walt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David David
Australia
flag msg tools
Thank you for replying Russell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David David
Australia
flag msg tools
Thank you Stephen! It does involve some major rule changes so I think the best (and politest) option is to ask permission first. And you're right, there's no harm in asking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing -- if you're using any graphics from the rulebook (if you're formatting it to match game aesthetics), you need to get permission. For example, I got permission for both my LOOP INC rules summary and my MICE AND MYSTICS player reference card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David David
Australia
flag msg tools
Thank you Brendan, good point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls