Jeff Chronister

Poteau
Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got COH: Guadalcanal. Does anyone have an informed opinion about adapting the Eastern Front Solo Expansion to Guadalcanal with a minimum of fudging? What few videos on YouTube I've seen about the Solo expansion, makes me think it would be ok. And I don't have a lot of confidence the Guadalcanal solo expansion will be out within the next year. Any opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
jchron wrote:
I just got COH: Guadalcanal. Does anyone have an informed opinion about adapting the Eastern Front Solo Expansion to Guadalcanal with a minimum of fudging? What few videos on YouTube I've seen about the Solo expansion, makes me think it would be ok. And I don't have a lot of confidence the Guadalcanal solo expansion will be out within the next year. Any opinions?

The solo expansion is pretty tightly coupled to its base game. Best solution I have is use the cards for spent check and just play both sides without action points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:

The solo expansion is pretty tightly coupled to its base game. Best solution I have is use the cards for spent check and just play both sides without action points.

Quoted for truth. Will be playing Guadalcanal on Sunday using the order deck for spent checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Curry
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the guys above are seeing something I'm not.. but aside from the AI possibly acting unlike Honorabru Japan would, it's an AI system and should work if you just want a competent opponent to play against. Hell you could always play as the Americans and use the Germans with the AI system.

I'm just not seeing what the above two guys are seeing I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sparks
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
For one thing, the stacking rules are rather necessary in my mind for Guadalcanal but, as I recall, are disallowed the EF Solo Expansion rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chronister

Poteau
Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 1 session with Guadalcanal and the Eastern Front Solo cards, I can see why the cards aren't considered to be used universally with all COH products. There's no certain way to incorporate the Japanese Bushido rules or cards given to the Japanese in the various firefights. It also seems like the number of turns might need to be increased as the Japanese became spent too soon, and too often while still a long ways from objectives (I played FF 11). Also, I'm not sure the Japanese will attempt to move in close to the Americans with the cards as they are. I do think using the cards works better than me playing both sides. I'm working on some house rules that might make the Japanese behave as they should. But I'm not sure they are at all realistic. I welcome any comments, thoughts or ways others are adapting the cards to COH Guadalcanal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jchron wrote:
After 1 session with Guadalcanal and the Eastern Front Solo cards, I can see why the cards aren't considered to be used universally with all COH products. There's no certain way to incorporate the Japanese Bushido rules or cards given to the Japanese in the various firefights. It also seems like the number of turns might need to be increased as the Japanese became spent too soon, and too often while still a long ways from objectives (I played FF 11). Also, I'm not sure the Japanese will attempt to move in close to the Americans with the cards as they are. I do think using the cards works better than me playing both sides. I'm working on some house rules that might make the Japanese behave as they should. But I'm not sure they are at all realistic. I welcome any comments, thoughts or ways others are adapting the cards to COH Guadalcanal.

Seconded! Although I'm sure there's a solo expansion in the works for Guadalcanal and there's little doubt it will be a polished experience, I'm just thinking about how long it took AG to get EFSE to market. I don't like playing both sides because strategically/tacitly..I just can't seem to surprise myself Kinda takes the suspense out of it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob lasdon
United States
LAUDERDALE LAKES
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used the SOLO expansion with Guadalcanal using the order cards and rules just as they are supposed to be used with ATB. IMO, i have still gotten some very good games and i did ad a few house rules concerning the firefight which i am playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capt. Winters
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RJL5188 wrote:
I have used the SOLO expansion with Guadalcanal using the order cards and rules just as they are supposed to be used with ATB. IMO, i have still gotten some very good games and i did ad a few house rules concerning the firefight which i am playing.

Please post some examples as it is interesting to see how you do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also would like a play-by-play and/or explanation of your house rules and the use of the Eastern Front Solo Expansion with Guadalcanal !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls