Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
beef
badge
sack
mbmbmbmbmb
A question to the owners of the game:

I've been eyeing off Scythe and waiting for reviews to come in before diving in, it sounds like a really cool game.

I've got one concern from reviews I've read so far, and it's actually from the images in the reviews. The boards look beautiful, but they look incredibly busy and hard to read. Seems the designers may have prioritised form over function?

My question I guess would be do anyone find the boards a bit hard to grok at a glance? Is it okay or does it impact playability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never had a problem with them. My girlfriend has horrible eyesight, and she reads them fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
Never had a problem with them. My girlfriend has horrible eyesight, and she reads them fine.

Some folks would complain if you offered to hang them with a new rope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, you're not alone. I was drawn to this game because of the artwork on the cards, and once I found out a bit more about the game play I decided to pre-order it, but I have the same feeling as you whenever I see pictures of the board. It just seems very dark and busy, to the point where I'm afraid pieces on the board would blend in and not be easily "readable". I haven't see any complaints about it from people who actually played it, though, so I'm keeping a wait and see attitude.

-djm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The boards are fine and easy to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beefsack wrote:
My question I guess would be do anyone find the boards a bit hard to grok at a glance? Is it okay or does it impact playability?

I find the iconography quite easy to read and follow. There's one action board which needs one bit of clarification (there's "/" marks that are hidden by the art, which was an error), but in terms of the mechanics:

On the action boards, red boxes are pay, green boxes are receive, and these are (in my opinion) clearly delineated from the artwork. On the board, it produces the thing in the bright hex at the top of the hex. The rest of the hex is a place to hold the stuff in the region. On the cards, there's a banner behind the mechanical text.

Essentially, there's a lot of artwork, but where it matters for mechanics, you're looking at fairly clear icons in standardized places. As such, I don't believe it's a problem in play (admittedly, I've only got one play so far), and it allows you to enjoy the amazing artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this is the case, but even if it is a little chaotic, or hard to read at first... it is a boardgame (with a static board) so after a few plays you should inherently know where/what everything is.

However, like I said, I don't even think that is the case. There is always the board extension, if you can get your hands on it. I really want one, but not to make the board easier to read, but because I think the concept behind it is awesome, and yay completion(ism).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I always prefer busy to lazy backgrounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
I don't think this is the case, but even if it is a little chaotic, or hard to read at first... it is a boardgame (with a static board) so after a few plays you should inherently know where/what everything is.

However, like I said, I don't even think that is the case. There is always the board extension, if you can get your hands on it. I really want one, but not to make the board easier to read, but because I think the concept behind it is awesome, and yay completion(ism).

What's a "board extension"???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The back of the regular scythe map has 3/4 of the board blown up to a larger size. The extended board is an added board that gives you the remaining 1/4, for a MASSIVE map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't possibly be worse than Defenders of the Realm. Even after 5 plays, I had to hunt for locations Every. Single. Time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
The back of the regular scythe map has 3/4 of the board blown up to a larger size. The extended board is an added board that gives you the remaining 1/4, for a MASSIVE map.

Oh, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls