Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

Is there any advantage to a battle for the defender? I didn't see anything or am I missing something?

Just played a 3 player game and there was only one battle. Is that the norm or did we play a passive game?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no defensive advantage (that's why there are fortresses to build ). My first (and thus far, only) game with 4 only had 2 or 3 battles; I think battle is situational, and will probably vary by play style of the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Qunell
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no battle advantage for the defender unless a fortress is a present.

That does seem to be a passive game but I have only played one two player game. We did have a couple battles against each other as well as several more using the barbarians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaweĊ‚ Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least one of the heroes gives a bonus when defending. And fortress. Nothing more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
misioooo wrote:
At least one of the heroes gives a bonus when defending. And fortress. Nothing more.

Several heroes help when defending (some help with both attacking and defending)
Pericles gives Legions +2 each when it is not Greece's turn.
Nebuchadnezzar gives +5 in each battle in provinces his player controls.
Ramses gives 1 extra die in every land battle
Penthisilea allows 1 free legion built per province occupied by enemies.
Solomon forces enemies to pay 1 coin per province that attack you in (limiting invasions to 2 provinces per player).
The Statue of Zeus allows its owner to declare peace.
The Mausoleum creates 1 non-attackable province.
Medusa can protect one province per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pericles, the starting Hero for Greece, gives a +2 to defending die rolls.

Fighting tends to happen at times where it will give the attacker another advantage as well, such as gaining Military Leadership, or an important Conqueror action that helps him out in other ways. Like the other rules modules, battles need to support your overall strategic plan, or disrupt that of an opponent. So sometimes not fighting can lose you the game. You have to be able to evaluate how your opponents are doing. Timing is everything, including sea borne moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

The reason I asked is because I was Rome in a 3 player game and aside from Sicily getting attacked the first turn by Africa, there was no other attacking.

I built up a ton of units near the end of the game by Africa won the game by building the their last hero/wonder. I think I had all but one legion on the board and 3 triremes. I was getting ready to go on an onslaught and hopefully get enough resources to get the pyramids built.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have started to look at pillaging and conquering provinces as quick ways for some empires to gain production. The net effect of gaining 2 resources and another empire losing two resources can change the path an empire must take to thrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:
We have started to look at pillaging and conquering provinces as quick ways for some empires to gain production. The net effect of gaining 2 resources and another empire losing two resources can change the path an empire must take to thrive.

So it sounds like you put your legions on the resource rather than the territory marker, correct?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stratton
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
wtcannonjr wrote:

So it sounds like you put your legions on the resource rather than the territory marker, correct?

Thx
jonpfl

I won a game by occupying caravans. Per the rules, occupied caravans count toward the Trade Leader, and I was able to gain 3 spots by this maneuver (I moved last), securing my 3rd Leadership.

There are more reasons to attack than one might think....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls