Hide
18 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Meta challenge: phased Polaron Beam rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Hare
msg tools
A while back we had a meta challenge for several ships. I liked the idea but Voyager and Alpha hunter didn't need help. Let's pick something that doesn't get love but has a home in current meta.

Phased Polaron beam. Either version

3rd Wing Attack Ship [3rd Wing Attack Ship] (22)
Gul Macet [Assimilated Vessel 64758] (3)
Invaluable Advice [Rav Laerst] (2)
Remata'Klan [Battle Cruiser] (4)
Shroud [4th Division Battleship] (1)
Phased Polaron Beam [4th Division Battleship] (5)
Total (37)

Potential 8 dice with TL/BS firing at CS7 that ignores shields.

How would you make it work. Can be cross faction, in the context of a fleet, whatever. Just try and make it work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Weidlich
msg tools
mbmb
Federation/Bajoran Version

Robinson [22]
- Jean-Luc Picard 8 (Captain) (U.S.S. Enterprise-E) [5]
- - Pursuit (Interceptor 8) [6]
- - Phased Polaron Beam (5th Wing Patrol Ship) [6]
- Ro Laren (Interceptor 8) [6]
Ship Total: 45 SP

Fleet Total: 45 SP

Free Crit and 6 dice and TL that ignores shields. I'm much certain it could be improved on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
A while back we had a meta challenge for several ships. I liked the idea but Voyager and Alpha hunter didn't need help. Let's pick something that doesn't get love but has a home in current meta.

Total (37)

How would you make it work. Can be cross faction, in the context of a fleet, whatever. Just try and make it work

Staying faction pure, you can add Admiral Gul Madred and Standard Attack Formation to fire at CS9 and potentially 10 dice on the first attack and 8 on the second. That brings the ship total to 46 SP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:

Total (37)

Where is the 8th dice coming from?

I can see...

4 from Phased Polaron beam
1 from Macet
2 from Remata'Klan

What about the 8th?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Guessing he was banking on the 3rd Attack Wing's ability? But that's only for primary weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
use it with Borg Alliance and Resistance is futile. 3 guaranteed hits/crits to the hull and cannot be stopped by interphase generator, enhanced hull plating, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Maizrim wrote:
Quote:

Guessing he was banking on the 3rd Attack Wing's ability? But that's only for primary weapons.

Shoot. I did have that wrong. Just 7.

Given that the apex ship I'm seeing locally is Bioship Beta/Picard9/BioTechnology, getting a heavily modified 7 past shields stays in one-shot territory. Only trouble could be if it dies before firing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Mirror Checkhov might be a good add. If you make a green manuever, then you can add +1 Attack die to a secondary weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Dracomax wrote:
Mirror Checkhov might be a good add. If you make a green manuever, then you can add +1 Attack die to a secondary weapon.

Thay would be 6SP and an action for one additional die. Tuvok is the same cost on that ship, but is just a disable.

Will's idea has serious merit, but the cost is a bit high. 13SP for elite talents and at least 4SP for another elite talent slot. Nonetheless, being able to guarantee 3 crits to hull is going to wreck most anything short of a sphere. Makes me wonder if I can swing a Khan8 build to convert BS to crits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
Will's idea has serious merit, but the cost is a bit high. 13SP for elite talents and at least 4SP for another elite talent slot.
You could always use Karr to get the 2 ET slots and a probable +1 attack. The double reroll of a die is just a bonus. Throw Admiral Madred on there for an even more likely +1 from Karr, and you can still use Invaluable Advice, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
3rd Wing Attack Ship (22)
Karr (6)
Borg Alliance (6)
Resistance Is Futile (8)
Quark (Weapon) (3)
Remata'Klan (4)
Shroud (1)
Total (50)

Fleet total: 50

Generated by Space Dock for Android
http://spacedockapp.org

I suppose you can ditch shroud for a point, but it gives Remata'Klan more mileage

For cheaper crit hunting:
3rd Wing Attack Ship (22)
Khan Singh (6)
Invaluable Advice (2)
Quark (Weapon) (2)
Remata'Klan (4)
Total (36)

Fleet total: 36

Generated by Space Dock for Android
http://spacedockapp.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Lee
msg tools
mbmbmb

I'm still pretty new to ST:AW and I play faction pure, but this is what I came up with for a Polaron based fleet:

5th Wing Patrol Ship [22]
- Gul Dukat 7 (Captain) [5]
- - Standard Attack Formation [4]
- Ion Thrusters [2]
- Phased Polaron Beam [5]
- Dorsal Weapons Array [3]
- Boheeka [2]
Ship Total: 43 SP

3rd Wing Attack Ship [22]
- Gul Lemec 4 (Captain) [3]
- - Unnecessary Bloodshed [5]
- Gul Madred (Admiral) [5]
- - First Strike [2]
- Remata'Klan [4]
- Seskal [4]
Ship Total: 50 SP

Federation Starship (Jem'Hadar Attack Ship) [20]
- Gul Danar 3 (Captain) [2]
- Suicide Attack [5]
- Omet'Iklan [5]
Ship Total: 37 SP

Fleet Total: 130 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

I realize it'll take a good bit of luck and some precision flying to make everything work together and pull all the combos off, but this could be a fun little fleet. If for no other reason than it justifies a 3 attack ship fleet flying in close formation like in the series!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
The point of these threads will be to dig up odd cards and make them useful-ish and to get people to try work shopping different builds they would normally never try.

And the pot is calling the kettle black. I need to point out Omet'iklan is primary only

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Church14 wrote:
The point of these threads will be to dig up odd cards and make them useful-ish and to get people to try work shopping different builds they would normally never try.
Meta commentary:
Can I request one/How often do we think these threads should be posted? Just as a meta question, because I have a ship in mind that I would never play, but would love to see someone make it worth taking—but I don't want these forums to just be filled with "make this playable" posts.

Maybe we could set up a poll for the most underused/useless ships/upgrades, and then work on one per week?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Post as many as you like. If more of these threads happen than people are interested in, they'll fall down the list of active threads soon enough.
Plus it's not like there's much else to talk about at the moment.

That said, if we really care about keeping clutter down, we could keep it all in one general-purpose meta challenge thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Lee
msg tools
mbmbmb
Church14 wrote:

And the pot is calling the kettle black. I need to point out Omet'iklan is primary only

True, but a guaranteed "hit" isn't a bad way to beef-up your primary for when your polarons are on disable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Lee
msg tools
mbmbmb
I, as a newer player, really appreciate these type of posts because I can steal your wider play experience and use it to augment mine.

...Assuming we both have no shields, aren't cloaked, and are within range 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Dracomax wrote:
Church14 wrote:
Meta commentary:
Can I request one/How often do we think these threads should be posted? Just as a meta question, because I have a ship in mind that I would never play, but would love to see someone make it worth taking—but I don't want these forums to just be filled with "make this playable" posts.

Maybe we could set up a poll for the most underused/useless ships/upgrades, and then work on one per week?

Just post it. Called it Meta challenge: XXYYZZ. I already jacked this idea from someone else. I had planned on maybe one a week or so unless someone beats me to the next one. Phased polaron beam seemed ripe in particular with the prevalence or Federation and Species ships. The only "requirement" I would stipulate is that it is a card that doesn't see the table a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls