Willam Dustin
Canada
flag msg tools
I thought of a variant, was curious to see what other people think. I propose 2 new influence tracks, which amp up the game through game mechanisms and theme. Numbering IT=1, Fief=2, KC=3, you also have:

Track# 4) Mercenaries - Across the board are mercenary units belonging to various mercenary companies of the Game of Thrones world, such as the Bloody Mummers, the Golden Company, the Second Sons or low level sellswords and pirates. As a rule, mercenary units can only occupy 1 land area and 1 sea area at any given time.

Each position on the track is labelled with 2 flags similar in appearance to the supply track. The higher the position, the higher the number, allowing that mercenary company to grow larger in size. Players bid, with the highest bid getting the largest max size. In addition, the players who bid highest get first pick on which mercenary company they wish. This adds a new layer of strategy and intrigue; though the Bloody Mummers may have belonged to the Lannisters at the last CoK, now perhaps they belong to the Starks and bring chaos with them.

Track #5) Faith (of the Seven) - focusing on the most prominent religion of the seven kingdoms, this track represents the blessings of the Seven and the favour of the common people. The dominance token associated with this track is the 7 pointed star; and it can be reduced to either cause or prevent casualties through either the Father's Justice or the Mother's Mercy. To keep this power in check with other tracks, I would suggest the token holder must choose between the Mother's Mercy and the Father's Justice after orders are revealed but before the messenger raven power is used. After the token holder's first combat, the token's effect is used immediately and flipped over to show that it has been used this game round.

The rest of the track contains miscellaneous bonuses and also positions with no bonuses; for instance, an extra star separate from the KC track, an extra barrel for the purposes of a supply card, an extra crown for the purposes of a Game of Thrones card, etc.

The upside of these would be to add strategic depth, thematic elements and possibly more intensity to the game. I think it would be particularly useful for 9 player games, where bidding for tracks is less likely to result in a cool dominance token power. Also online games, because extra pieces and rules are more likely to be seen as adding complexity rather than cumbersome complications.

So what do you think? Workable/workable with modifications/unworkable? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Oliveira
msg tools
I think the idea for mercenaries and the faith is cool but that making new tracks (which would require new tokens for every house) is not that best way to implement that. Although a new track that represents the favour of the common people is cool. I had a similiar idea before but didn't think about it as the Faith. I think the best way for mercenaries would be a westeros card or mercenary deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willam Dustin
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you for your input!I see what you're saying about all the extra tokens, that would definitely be cumbersome for a physical board adaptation. I think it's better suited to online play variants, because that way the tokens aren't too cumbersome.

Though I'm attached to the idea of additional influence tracks, I also like your idea of extra Westeros card/Mercenary deck. Glad to see you're like-minded on this topic. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Willam Dustin wrote:
I thought of a variant, was curious to see what other people think. I propose 2 new influence tracks, which amp up the game through game mechanisms and theme.
Track# 4) Mercenaries .

Track #5) Faith (of the Seven)

FFG already made a game similar to AGOT with both these features = WARRIOR KNIGHTS!

Tom Vasel of Dice Tower recently mentioned he would love to see it reprinted, as a streamlined 2nd edition.

And it's fans on BGG swear by it - some consider it (when with its excellent expansion) superior to AGOT and TI3!
(although OOP now, but comes up on ebay fairly often).

Check it out.
Regards, Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willam Dustin
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the tip, I think I will check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls